This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fina View Post
    All righty-dighty, I have more questions, this time with some stuff related to how favor and disfavor works:

1) Can you have multiple patrons?
    No. But you can swap patrons easily and quickly.

For example, suppose that Serafina hires Handmaiden and patrons said her. That Handmaiden also has an aide. Serafina offers to patron the aide as well. But can both Serafina AND Serafina's Handmaiden serve as patrons for the aide?
    No. The aide would have to decide who they prefer to have as a patron - Serafina, or Serafina's handmaiden. Which one is the 'right choice' would depend on their relationships, RP, and what they are trying to achieve by having that patron.

But they could have the handmaiden as their patron, and then Serafina could patron them so they can get a specific promotion that requires a higher ranked patron, and then after receiving the promotion they could switch back to the handmaiden as their patron.

2) I am not entirely sure how favor and disfavor works. I read in the thread that favoring and disfavoring costs influence points. Serafina has been favoring and disfavoring away, but I haven't seen her influence fall as a consequence. Is it only tallied after a week? And if Serafina has used all her influence after that week, will it mean that can't use influence effectively after that week has passed, but must wait until the next one?
    It doesn't cost influence points, no. But the higher ranked you are (which also means the more influence points you have) the more effective your favour is.

Yes, it's only tallied after a week.

3) Are the influence points used in favor and disfavor the same as those you use to influence trials? Ie. if Serafina spends all her influence on favor and disfavor, will she be powerless to influence trials with influence points? And conversely, if she spends all her influence points on a trial, will her favor and disfavor be useless? If they're NOT the same, how quickly do the trial influence points replenish?
    They're not the same.
    Influence points are replenished at a variable rate, depending on what they are spent on. I think spending them on a trial replenishes after one month. I'm not sure, though.

4) If some favors or disfavors are absolutely ridiculous, say Serafina disfavoring a Baron for not kneeling and kissing her feet, can they be voided?
    With the current system, staff doesn't judge favour or disfavour. So the system no longer asks for an OOC explanation. If Serafina disfavours that Baron for a ridiculous reason then that's her prerogative - but she'll also need to roll with the fallout IC if the Baron discovers why he was disfavoured.

5) Is it true that hosting events earns you influence? If so, with which group?
    Yes and no.

They should give influence, but I need to do some more coding before this is enabled. At the moment, the system is still tracking who is hosting events, but I don't know whether we'll backdate any influence, or just start fresh for future events once it's enabled.

The group would depend on the event, and your loyalty. A Bisclavret hosting a drinking event would get Bisclavret influence (and any guests would get Bisclavret influence) while a Doloreaux would get and give Doloreaux influence. An Avoirdupois hosting a drinking competition would probably not get any favour, nor would their guests get any favour.

What gives favour, and what type of favour depends on the 'character' of the various NPC groups. The Bisclavret NPCs are unlikely to give favour for hosting poetry readings, while the Avoridupois are.
    Mea squints at you, "For a magical nudist he sure is carrying lots of pie."

Comment

Ok, a few more questions for clarification:

Let's compare the favor gotten in two different cases:

1) A Rinaldi thane favors a Rinaldi-loyal commoner.

2) Serafina (Viscountess and much higher ranked than the thane) favors a Rinaldi-loyal commoner.

Which one grants the more favor to the commoner?

a) The Thane's favor, because he's closer in rank to the commoner.

b) Serafina, because she outranks the thane.

I've heard both versions.

Regarding using @favor and @disfavor. I read your previous comment as if there aren't any "points" you use when @(dis)favoring. Does that mean that Serafina can just @favor and @disfavor away, without it becoming less effective? And can she @favor the same person more than once a week, and they score points on it?

Comment

Don't quote me as canon because I could have misheard or things could have changed, but the way this was explained to me is thusly;

Favor and disfavor is calculated weekly. At the end of the week, let's say Sunday for argument's purposes, the system will look at everything you filed that week and figure out the balance between favor and disfavor. Let's say you filed three favors and two disfavors. This means that at the end of the week you are on the favorable side of things.

Then, the system will look at all the favors you filed. It will roll to see if you are granting a favor point that week or not. If you do end up rolling well and you will be granting a favor point, it will role to see who you are awarding said point to.

You will only give a maximum of one favorable influence point per week.

Azrael will have to confirm or deny of I am recalling this correctly from our conversation the other day, but my recollection is one point per week for one person per week. If you favor one person, you are more likely to give that one person the point.

If you favor three people, only one of them may or may not get the point depending on other variables, and you cannot decide who gets said point.

Comment

Ok, a few more questions for clarification:

Let's compare the favor gotten in two different cases:

1) A Rinaldi thane favors a Rinaldi-loyal commoner.

2) Serafina (Viscountess and much higher ranked than the thane) favors a Rinaldi-loyal commoner.

Which one grants the more favor to the commoner?
          What Topsy said. But since I like talking, I'll explain again anyway

You can grant a maximum of 1 point to each person you favoured. There is no maximum total number of points, if you favored 50 PCs, it's possible that you will give 50 points that week.

So, at the end of the week, the system will look at who you favoured, and possibly give or take 1 point.

So at max, the Rinaldi thane gives 1 point. And Serafina gives 1 point.

How does it calculate whether to give the point?
          Well, firstly, it looks at your rank. If you have been promoted above freedman, for each "level" you've been promoted, it picks one PC that you've favoured or disfavoured, and gives the point.

So a thane is what? Rank 6? Which means the system will give favour to 3 of the people they favored, chosen randomly. A vistountess is rank 12, so the system will give favour to 9 people she's favoured.

What if you favoured more than that? For any remaining PCs, the system will make a dice roll to see. I THINK the chances are:
          - If you are favouring someone higher ranked than you, you have a 25% chance of giving them favour.
          - If you are favouring someone equal ranked as you, so you have a 33% chance of giving them favour.
          - If you are favouring someone lower ranked than you, you have a 50% chance of giving them favour.

So... if Serafina favoured eight people this week, all of them will be given a point. Because her rank is so high that the first 9 get their points without a dice roll.
          If she favours ten people this week, nine will be given the point, and one (chosen randomly) will get a dice roll to see if they get their favour. And if they're lower ranked than her, they've got a 50% chance of getting the favour.

If she favours 11 people, nine get the point, and 2 make a dice roll. And so on.

a) The Thane's favor, because he's closer in rank to the commoner.

b) Serafina, because she outranks the thane.
          No difference - they're both higher ranked, so there's a 50% chance of getting the point.
          HOWEVER, since Serafina gets 9 favours that aren't rolled, and the Thane gets 3, there's more chance that you'll get the point if Serafina favours you.

But if the thane only favoured three people that week? You're getting the point. If Serafina only favoured nine people that week? You're getting the point.

Regarding using @favor and @disfavor. I read your previous comment as if there aren't any "points" you use when @(dis)favoring. Does that mean that Serafina can just @favor and @disfavor away, without it becoming less effective?
          Yes! @favor and @disfavor away! As much as you like! It doesn't become less effective

(But... as discussed above, if you favour enough PCs there's no way to guarantee that any specific PC will get the point. But you still are giving more points in total.)

And can she @favor the same person more than once a week, and they score points on it?
          She can favour the same person more than once a week, but that won't make any difference. The system only cares if she disfavored or favored, in total, after it counts up the favors and disfavors. Favor then three times or a hundred times, it'll still just check if it should give them +1 point.

Comment

I'm digging the way things are being done, at least from what I'm reading
            here. It puts a cap on things, keeps people from gaining favor too
            quickly.

Though I'm probably a bad one to ask as I hate the thought of my
            characters gaining rank ahah.
            "Focus on the small, good things in your life. See them
            as little fireflies in the darkness surrounding you. Gather them up and put them in a jar and you'll
            have a nice nightlight to keep the darkness at bay."

-----------------------------

Noah, Adiza, Dru, Tobias
            Once played Mattimeo (Matt), Drosnan, Seened, Patrick

Comment

Ooooooh, I got a new one: Can you get demoted through this favor system?

Let's say my character has Cheesehead rank 5 (Cheeseburgher), but ends her week with -12 Cheesehead favor. Is that basis for a demotion?

Comment

Ooooooh, I got a new one: Can you get demoted through this favor system?

Let's say my character has Cheesehead rank 5 (Cheeseburgher), but ends her week with -12 Cheesehead favor. Is that basis for a demotion?
                We haven't announced the demotion system yet, so things might still be a little in flux...

... but no. Ending the week with negative favour won't trigger a demotion. In most cases the negative favour will just be zeroed out, so she has 0 Cheesehead favour. The disfavours, therefore, will stop your character from advancing as a Cheesehead. But they won't make her lose what she's already gained.

Demotions WILL be coming (just like Winter) - however, they will be triggered by in-game events, or by another PC. Most likely, PCs will be able to start a petition to have a PC demoted, and the PC in question will be able to petition to keep their rank. Having a lot of favour will make it harder to get demoted (so if you're loved by the cheeseheads, even if someone starts a petition it would still be difficult for them to get you demoted. And, of course, with lots of favour, you can get promoted again even if demoted.)

I don't want to go into more detail until the system is finalized.

Comment

I'm like the energizer bunny and got another one! This time it is about patronage and promotion.

Suppose someone is promoted, because they have a patron. Does this mean that:

1) If they piss of their patron, the patron can withdraw patronage and thus get them demoted? I'm pretty sure it does.

2) If they switch patron, does that mean they can keep their promotions, if they switch from, say, one Doloreaux noble to another?

Comment

I'm like the energizer bunny and got another one! This time it is about patronage and promotion.

Suppose someone is promoted, because they have a patron. Does this mean that:

1) If they piss of their patron, the patron can withdraw patronage and thus get them demoted? I'm pretty sure it does.

2) If they switch patron, does that mean they can keep their promotions, if they switch from, say, one Doloreaux noble to another?
                    Withdrawing patronage doesn't lead to a demotion. A patron might be a requirement to receive a promotion, but only at the moment you get the promotion.

After you've received the promotion, you can change patrons. You could even change from a Doloreaux patron to a patron loyal to another group without penalty. In some cases that would be necessary - say, an Avoirdupois who's trying to gain in rank in the Avoirdupois military and also in the church, might have to switch patrons depending on which promotion they're expecting next.

The PC that was your patron for a promotion might have a greater sway in getting you demoted, but we'll have to see the details after the demotion system is released.

Comment

Now I am confused...didn't it say that patronage meant you could demote people by withdrawing it? Or is that sponsorship? I mean, in this link:

http://forum.skotos.net/showpost.php...2&postcount=61

If the difference is in sponsorship vs. patronage, what exactly is sponsorship?

Also, do ambassadors (and other leaders) have enhanced abilities to patron house members?

Comment

Now I am confused...didn't it say that patronage meant you could demote people by withdrawing it? Or is that sponsorship? I mean, in this link:

http://forum.skotos.net/showpost.php...2&postcount=61

If the difference is in sponsorship vs. patronage, what exactly is sponsorship?

Also, do ambassadors (and other leaders) have enhanced abilities to patron house members?
                        Yes, the difference is sponsorship vs patronage.

In the older system, when you're ready for a promotion you'd seek out a sponsor explicitly for that promotion. That sponsor would then be able to withdraw their sponsorship and have you demoted. You have one sponsor per promotion you've received.

In the current system, you seek out a patron before you're ready for a promotion, as someone who'll help you get the promotion. You can only have one patron at a time, but you can change your patron between different PCs.

There are also other changes, such as the patron getting influence if one of their proteges gets promoted. And the proteges getting influence if their patron is promoted.

So the concept is similar, and patrons replace the need for sponsors. But the details are slightly different. One of the differences is the patron can't withdraw their support to automatically demote their protege.

Comment

Nope!

(extra words here)

Comment

I have temporarily disabled the ability to accept promotions due to some bugs in the system. This will not affect your ability give and gain favor, so please continue using that part as normal. We will try to get this fixed as quickly as possible. I will post a follow up when it is working again. Sorry for the inconvenience!
                            Story Guinness
                            "Tough love may be tough to give, but it is a necessity of life and assurance of positive growth." - T.F. Hodge

Comment

Originally posted by SBGuinness View Post
                              I have temporarily disabled the ability to accept promotions due to some bugs in the system. This will not affect your ability give and gain favor, so please continue using that part as normal. We will try to get this fixed as quickly as possible. I will post a follow up when it is working again. Sorry for the inconvenience!
                              Hey, any idea when this'll be fixed? (Sowwy, just curious).

Comment

Nope, sorry! Real life is busy for me and I'm not getting a chance to do any development.

I'm guessing that I'll be able to look at it by the end of the week. No guarantees, though!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information