A Return to E'ch-Pi-El

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Return to E'ch-Pi-El

This newly-publish'd edition from Barnes & Noble, THE COMPLETE CTHULHU MYTHOS FICTION, has trigger'd a new enthrallment for reading ye fiction of H. P. Lovecraft. It amazes me that this can be so. One aspect of ye book that I find compelling is its inclusion of many of ye revisions/collaborations that Lovecraft worked on with various writers--although moft of ye writing in ye completed tales is Lovecraft's alone. I have always loved such stories as "The Mound" and "The Curse of Yig". I want to enjoy "The Horror in the Museum," but every time I read it I come away thinking, "My gawd--it's like a poor Derleth pastiche!!"

My question to y'all is:
    How often do you return to Lovecraft's fiction, and what compels ye to do so? Do you only reread favourite stories, or have ye attempted to read all of the stories in Lovecraft's oeuvre?

I ask because I have found, in many forums online, a lot of complaining that Lovecraft is an awful writer; but it seems to me that those who voice this complaint haven't actually read much of Lovecraft's fiction, or haven't read it in a long time and are remembering a story they read years ago and didn't enjoy.

Whut say ye, my darlings?
    "I'm a little girl."
    --H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

I absolutely love his work . I think those who complain just don't have the attention span to grasp his works fully.
    Madalina Blue and Saruno

Comment

Working...
    X