Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Eldritch Assault of Lovecraft Editions!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Eldritch Assault of Lovecraft Editions!

Whut is going on, me darlinks? Do you know how many editions of E'ch-Pi-El's weird fiction are coming out this year? Great Yuggoth!!!!

I have just receiv'd a review copy of ye new S. T. Joshi-edited edition from Centipede Press, volume 2 in their Centipede Press Library of Weird Fiction. It is a very solid edition of 859 pages comprising of those stories that ye editor feels are the main body of Lovecraft's weird fiction--with some exceptions. "I have . . .been compelled to be selective in regard to the short, macabre stories of the first decade of Lovecraft's literary career (1917-26). Entertaining and significant as some of these tales are, they are dwarfed in importance by the longer tales of Lovecraft's final decade of writing. I have therefore included only a small number of the pre-1926 tales, focusing on those that are of intrinsic merit and those that have had significant influence on subsequent weird writing." The volume is a very solid hardcover edition with photographs of Lovecraft. It was initially intended to include some of the poetry as well, but they ran out of space.

This summer, in celebration of Lovecraft's birthday, Hippocampus Press will publish Joshi's multi-volume THE VARIORUM LOVECRAFT in both hardcover and pb format. "In the multi-volume edition of THE VARIORUM LOVECRAFT, which will be published in celebration of the 125th anniversary of H. P. Lovecraft's birth, editor S. T. Joshi presents all the relevant textual variants from all the stories that Lovecraft wrote over his short literary career. One phase of that project includes the printing of passages from handwritten or typed manuscripts (chiefly the former) that were excised, either as Lovecraft was writing the story or as he performed a subsequent revision of it." Sounds way cool, and I look forward to seeing it. S. T. sent me ye pdf file of one volume, and it's of super interest to me cos I am forever rereading Lovecraft's texts, seeking inspiration for my own weird fiction.

Perhaps the one I am most looking forward to is THE NEW ANNOTATED H. P. LOVECRAFT, edited by Leslie S. Klinger, who edited those amazing and beautiful volumes of THE NEW ANNOTATED SHERLOCK HOLMES. The Lovecraft will be a huge hardcover tome, handsomely designed and featuring color reproductions of photos and illustrations. It will feature but 22 of Lovecraft's more than 80 tales, and won't include things such as "The Shunned House" or even "The Outsider" (I simply can't imagine an edition of Lovecraft that doesn't include "The Outsider"!). It will also have seven appendix covering subjects such as "Faculty of Miskatonic University," "History of the Necronomicon," and "Genealogy of the Elder Races." The book will have over 900 notes and hundreds of photographs, drawings, and maps, and is almost 380,000 words of text. Whew!

But -- but -- how many of y'all have any real interest in buying any of all of these forthcoming editions? Who can afford them? I need every single one, because I am an obsess'd Lovecraft fanboy and never a week goes by when I don't read something by Lovecraft, and it makes it all the more fun when I have a lot of different editions to read from. I will be getting a galley of THE NEW ANNOTATED H. P. LOVECRAFT (I have the actual book on pre-order at Amazon), so I will record a YouTube video shewing it so that people can see what it has to offer before spending money on it.

But that's not all. An extremely delightful-looking series is soon to be unleashed from Britain's PS Publishing -- Lovecraft Illustrated. These will be nine volumes, each volume one of Lovecraft's stories, in hardcover with jacket and color interior illustrations by Pete Von Sholly. The first three volumes will be THE DREAM-QUEST OF UNKNOWN KADATH, THE DUNWICH HORROR, and THE DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE. For those volumes where the story itself doesn't take up enough pagination to fill one entire book, there will be an addition of critical essays. For THE DUNWICH HORROR they will include the essays "The Mythic Hero Archetype in 'The Dunwich Horror'" by Donald R. Burleson, "Call Me Wizard Whateley: Echoes of Moby-Dick in 'The Dunwich Horror'" by Peter Cannon, and "Dunwich as Beautiful Nightmare" by W. H. Pugmire. The drawings are cool and some of them are rather wild.

But does it do a injustice to Lovecraft and these multitude of editions to have them all come out in the same year? And what's next? More and more anthologies of Mythos tales have been announced. It is a GREAT time to be a Lovecraftian. But for how much longer can it last, if we have such a surplus of books to buy???
    "I'm a little girl."
    --H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

A mountain walked!!

To-day's poft brought ye trade paperback edition of A Mountain Walked, just publish'd by Dark Regions Press and available for them for $18. Ye hardcover edition, publish'd by Centipede Press, is one of ye moft beautiful books I have ever seen--but this trade pb is very fine, and the publisher even includes some of ye interior art that was featur'd in ye hardcover. This is one of the finest anthologies of Cthulhu Mythos fiction ever assembled, and includes stories from the 1930's and 1940's all ye way up to present time. Some of these tales are modern classics, such as "The Last Feast of Harlequin" by Thomas Ligotti and "Black Man with a Horn" by T.E.D. Klein. Ye book shews Lovecraft's titanic influence on genre writing, an influence that continues as more and more Lovecraftian anthologies are planned (S. T. Joshi has edited Black Wings V, which should be out early next year; and Ellen Datlow, already ye editor of two Lovecraft-themed anthologies, has edited a new one, Children of Lovecraft, featuring brand new stories written exclusively for the book. Ye Cthulhu Mythos is here to stay! Ia!!
    "I'm a little girl."
    --H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Comment

Ye assault continues!! Just got ye new newsletter from PS Publishing, in which they announce:

"Following the undreamed of success of the hitherto nine volumes in our HPL Pulps Library, we've persuaded artist Pete Von Sholly and Lovecraftian scholar S. T. Joshi to pleasure us yet again with the definitive versions of three further epic yarns--namely THE MOUND, THE HAUNTER OF THE DARK and THE THING ON THE DOORSTEP."

This is so cool-strange, because just last week I sent a wee email to Pete telling him how much I enjoy'd ye first nine volumes, my one regret being that my all-time favourite Lovecraft story, "The Haunter of the Dark," hadn't been included. Oh, darlings, my liquid eyes quiver to drink that volume! Ia!!
      "I'm a little girl."
      --H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Comment

Ah--ye tomes, ye tomes--they just keep coming! S. T. just sent ye pdf for BLACK WINGS V, whut will be publish'd by PS Publishing some time this year. It's another brilliant anthology of stories (and poem!) inspir'd by H. P. Lovecraft's magnificent fiction. And now yet another new volume of E'ch-Pi-El's tales has been announc'd. It's not, technically, a new volume, being a hardcover reprint of ye trade pb from 2013, THE COMPLETE CTHULHU MYTHOS TALES. It will be publish'd by Barnes & Noble. The book's artist, John Coulhart, writes of it: "The book will be out at the end of the month, and among the extra features there's an introduction by Lovecraft scholar S. T. Joshi, my drawing of R'lyeh on the endpapers, and...a poster reproduction of my Cthulhu Rising picture." Also: "The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Tales is a collection of 23 weird tales by H. P. Lovecraft (some of which are collaborations with other writers) published by Barnes & Noble in their leatherbound Collectible Editions series. Anyone who's held one of these volumes will know that they deserve to be called tomes rather than mere books; they're heavy and lavishly produced, with detailed designs embossed on the front and back boards in a variety of metallic inks." I have the book on pre-order at Amazon, where ye release date is listed as August.
        Contents:
        Introduction, S. T. Joshi
        Dagon
        Nyarlathotep
        The Nameless City
        Azathoth
        The Hound
        The Festival
        The Call of Cthulhu
        The Colour out of Space
        History of the Necronomicon
        The Curse of Yig