Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

In Development: a new Skotos client

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Development: a new Skotos client

I've had many, many back-burner projects as a GM of Grendel's Revenge, and one of them was mastering the client so that it could work better for us.

That project has started to bear fruit; I've applied what I've learned to developing a new client for Skotos - one that works seamlessly in modern browsers, and that I can support with new features.

See the main announcement for full details. I've learned to be wary of release dates, but I'm trying to have a beta available this spring. The client will come first to GR and TEC, as they share the same server architecture. Thanks to the other staff of GR and the staff of TEC over the years, especially Koyo for taking care of a major speed bump along the way.

If you have any questions about how the client will work for GR, please feel free to post them. Ideas are welcome too - the base design is intended to mimic Alice and Zealotry, but I plan to add options that break from the mold, and welcome ideas for more.
    Wyrhtan, Grendel's Revenge GameMaster

One of the big things that stopped me from moving off Firefox fully to Chrome was the fact that I couldn't open GR in Chrome. So this is pretty cool if it'll finally let me do that.
    -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

I was thinking... tablet and phone screens have very limited space. How about making it so the player can choose which side-screens to display, even none of them.
      SMARMY the GIANT

Comment

Originally posted by Smarmy View Post
        tablet and phone screens have very limited space. How about making it so the player can choose which side-screens to display, even none of them.
        Removing one sidebar or the other is already an option in the new client, and if you want to pick and choose, you can move the things in the sidebars around, or turn them off entirely.

Comment

**Does the 'happy dance'.**

Whoooot!

SMARMY the GIANT

Comment

I see the part about touch-based features to cut down on typing; will it also support voice-to-text?
            Originally posted by Rythgen
            Fiendy could witstomp you into oblivion.

<Vyshka the Wyvern grumbles: {Hecate wins the internet. Forever.}>

Comment

Originally posted by fiendish_thingy View Post
              I see the part about touch-based features to cut down on typing; will it also support voice-to-text?
              There's nothing in the client that should get in the way of voice-to-text, but it'll be up to the operating system or a 3rd party program to do the actual conversion.

So if your phone, tablet or computer can already do voice-to-text, it should work here.

Comment

Originally posted by Usuichii View Post
                One of the big things that stopped me from moving off Firefox fully to Chrome was the fact that I couldn't open GR in Chrome. So this is pretty cool if it'll finally let me do that.
                Exactly my thoughts. Firefox taxes my system to no end, and Internet Explorer...well, it's Internet Explorer. I'll be far more likely to play GR if it's available in Chrome.
                Marx the Lich
                Rykon the Dwerger

Comment

I'm pumped about this! So much, I may actually poke around GR for a bit today
                  Originally posted by Usuichii
                  Anuu, Master of Scrolls. All of them.

Comment

Well, this is big news. Thanks Wyrhtan!
                    Japes point towards Studgrob. A single point of light flashes from the middle of Studgrob's body, then starts growing larger until a great dome of bluish-white energy consumes him and his surroundings! 999999 points of damage! Studgrob roars a final time before dying

Japes says, "Ninja minotaurs in love."
                    Japes flails.

Synchar: Toastah!
                    Toasty: o.o
                    Toasty: OMG, IT'S A SYNCHAR.
                    <Toasty thwacks you with a rolled up newspaper.>

sgp NO LAG! *can't breath* *starts to turn blue*
                    StoryGuide Damocles responds, "Just calm down. Maybe it's the start of great things."

Comment

While we wait on this new client, I'm curious how people are playing currently. Firefox can't be used any more (as far as I know) and IE has serious structure issues (for example, if I go full screen it overlaps the text window and the favor/cooldown bar/resource box). I've switched back to IE and can survive without being able to see certain elements of the client, but I'm wondering if anyone else is doing something that works better?
                      Japes point towards Studgrob. A single point of light flashes from the middle of Studgrob's body, then starts growing larger until a great dome of bluish-white energy consumes him and his surroundings! 999999 points of damage! Studgrob roars a final time before dying

Japes flails.

StoryGuide Damocles responds, "Just calm down. Maybe it's the start of great things."

Comment

Originally posted by Aco View Post
                        Firefox can't be used any more (as far as I know)
                        I've been using Firefox without any problems.

SMARMY the GIANT

Comment

Mine updated to the latest version and in that release I wasn't able to enable unsigned extensions any more. I was able to get around this by installing the extended support release version which does still allow unsigned extensions to be used.

Japes flails.

Comment

Working...
                          X