Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Difficulty rant/vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty rant/vent

I believe the general difficulty of the uglies is higher in the last day or so than it has been in the past. Does anyone else agree?

During the beta, I had a lower infamy at my level because some of my favors were from tiering up (the requirements have been raised). Since I spawn tougher uglies than in beta with my higher infamy, I can rarely attack at melee range. Instead, I usually retreat a few squares away so I don't get trapped (you know how hard it is to retreat with lag). By the time I get a good distance away, another group or two spawns, so I have to run again. Rinse, lather, repeat until no more spawn, and I can attack a group from a distance. Then some stupid group spawns just as I attack, so I can't get away before my roundtime is up. They trap me and whittle down my life with 30- to 100-point attacks.

This wouldn't be so bad if it happened less frequently, but since the beginning of September it has been like this all the time. While I don't die nearly as often as those on the leader board, I still die way more than before, and that's what bothers me. I have actually earned the same favor three times, and each time it was snatched away by death. Maybe the fourth time's the charm, and I can keep it for good. I hope my experiences are the result of a change that will soon be amended.

I just had to get that off my chest before I screamed out loud again.
    SMAAAASH!!

"I'm serious. These brains--they're out there. They're shining...with eyes of hard plastic. And blue hair--blue as the night!"

try it as a warrior.. who has to attack from up close.. its even worse
    You can't do that while you are stunned.

"Human beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason"

-Ashley Montagu,
    English anthropologist

Comment

more woes..

I dont know about a melee being worse all the time... try a melee with high life getting trapped for a while vs. a longrange with I'd say about medium life... that diminishes very quickly now-a-days i posted something similar in mechanics and since then I've gotten a triple spawn... yes you catch the distinct smell... blah blah 3 times consecutively, then the screen filled up with red and I died 3 or 4 times in a row... *shrug* at least without god awful lag maybe I'd have gotten a chance to escape.
      Ephaelion says to you, "I can just picture in my head the grandmaster brigand locksmith spending days jamming repeatedly one such coffer, thinking 'They will all pay when they open it and find only a sen inside'"

Danasei says to you, "What is this reference to a flower other than daisies!? I DO NOT LIKE IT."

An urchin with tattered large sacks on his arms runs through the area, clutching a flint-tipped spear yelling, "Rue! Rue! Rue!"

Comment

I agree. Get rid of the multiple spawns.

Originally posted by Marnevel
        Dunstvangeet's right
        Newpatriot (Aux) Snakes on your plane to Storm_queen, "Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter has a lot t do with lesbians. See, vampires find out that if they wear lesbian skin they can walk around in sunlight. So Jesus teams up with a Mexican wrestler named El Santos to fight lesbian vampires. And it's a musical."

Comment

My experience

Here is what happened to me within the first 10 min of me getting up. Walk out the lair and boom..5 uglies appear out of no where, (I looked up before I went up too and it was clear), I take out two before they kill me. I reincarnate, but by that time they had all fallen into the traps at the enterance, so I go looking for more. three setps away I spawn 6 more uglies, who beat me down hard, now here is the kicker, I still had 57 health, when 1 priest hits me for 35 points of damage and sends me to death. Figure that one out. So, I reincarnate again and while walking to get the group that just killed me I spawn 3 other groups and die again. Now I cant leave the lair because there is a group of 9 uglies standing outside. Try that.

Either tweek it so there are fewer numbers in the spawn or make the uglies less able to hit monsters, or something. This is nuts and makes it very hard to enjoy playing.

Comment

Simple

Look at the list of top deaths, they don't complain about getting killed by multi spawns, and I've had a group of 32 total uglies before. Spawn, run, Spawn, until I got killed, so don't complain, only those that have to do melee should be complaining, even most humanoids aren't in the most deaths, you use to get crap for fp, and now its just right, take away multi spawns, and that will mean less fp for WM and SM that can only get fp by killing. And if the fp is lower, then that means killing monsters would bring more fp, I've seen the kill rate go less and less, because killing uglies just gives more fp.
            Vote GR
            Vote GR
            Originally posted by A Dwarf Engineer
            Crossbows were good and fine, but nowadays, a gun is better - and if a gun is good, then an automated self-aiming gyro-mounted gun turret with a cyclic grenade feeder and napalm cannister is even better yet!

Comment

Hmm... This is my only comment.. If you have 56 health and you're spawning 6 uglies, either the changes are just wrong and they should give less uglies in a spawn to lower level characters, or you really created a bad character for hunting... Changes always need to be made, and I would have to say that yes, I'm still having some troubles... I'm dying even more, and I'm back up to 2nd on most deaths. However, I'm actually gaining FP and I'm advancing in level now, where as before the FP/ugly changes, I was kind of stuck... So.. It's helped me. I'm just certain that there's still room for improvement. However, I'm greatful for the current changes, and until they fix it more I'm willing to accept things as is. Only... I still fear that all this infamy gain from the penalty is going to end up putting me back where I was before... Stuck.. Not able to gain level, and only losing fp, instead of gaining.. But I figure they will be adding more changes by then, so for now I'm content with the fact that I can actually progress.

Comment

the spawing rate has been incresed the first day out of beta, I was spawning multiple ulgies since lvl 1, but with the increase of fps we gain i belive this was balanced, dying now isnt so bad...

Gene is probably right, at beta we used to not care much about our life, it was easy to advance in game without puting favors at stats, now we need to consider better how we spent our favors to achieve the kind of charactere we wan to develop.

Comment

I can't see the point of the mass spawning. It's not enjoyable to be ambushed before you can do anything by so many uglies that mean you only have one time to retreat, a time where you have to decide whether to run or fight. Then you could spell retreet wrong

I am king of the killed, top of the most monstrous deaths, but this is because I spent time helping newbies to get their first kill by allowing an ugly to hack at me, or by jumping into traps as a quick way back to the lair... ok I'm stupid. the point is, until you reach level 20 you don't care.

What really annoyed me is the inadequate way the karma Death Penanlty is explained. Try as I might, I can't see how it can be interpreted as a one-off payment. I inferred that if I paid 300 karma at level 20 I would be protected from the worst of the DP. But no, after that payment I paid the worst DP straight away. I could have used those 30 favors to give myself a stronger character so that I would not die so often.

Now I have lost a further 2 favors by being deluged by uglies. I am pi$$ed off and I am happy whinging about it. I can't see the point. As a WM I shouldn't be forced to hunt in teams for safety.

Ah I forgot! This has been caused because my infamy has never gone down when I get killed, as it says it will do on ?infamy. If it did, then I think the balance would be restored. Infamy, if it worked, would be a neat idea.

So I would like my 30 favor back for the misleading information in the karma screen. I would also suggest that Infamy gets fixed, otherwise there will be another customer leaving.

Rant done.
                  Nothing in Uthgol makes sense.

<You grumble: Be annoying. It's a wanderer's finest trait.>

Comment

We have been doing some tweaking to resources dropped by humans and to their hitpoints, to balance out some aspects of the game, as well as (recently) toning down the multiple spawns of humans within the world.

We'll be monitoring the changes though, to make sure that monsters are not starved of resources -- but still capable of acquiring what they need to survive.
                    ~Woodz

Game Designer
                    Worlds Apart Productions

Comment

Thanks a bunch, GM's. That'll do a lot to reduce my stress.
                      SMAAAASH!!

"I'm serious. These brains--they're out there. They're shining...with eyes of hard plastic. And blue hair--blue as the night!"

Comment

But what about the Infamy bug? I think Infamy was one of the greatest of tools to balance the game, but it's broken if it doesn't reduce if you die?

To quote the late great Kenneth Williams:

"Infamy, infamy! You've all got it in for me!"

Comment

You don't even get a choice to retreat....

You sense an unwelcome presence nearby.
                          A nearby presence grates on the edge of your consciousness.
                          A harsh-looking bandit begins to move toward you.
                          A harsh-looking bandit stops next to you.
                          [Success: 607, Roll: 510] A harsh-looking bandit tries to stab you with her stiletto, but misses.
                          A lay sage wields a supreme sling in both hands.
                          a lay sage fires some stones from a supreme sling at you. 4 points of damage!
                          A fledgeling wizard stops wielding a quality thatched shield.
                          A fledgeling wizard begins to move toward you.
                          A fledgeling wizard stops next to you.
                          [Success: 612, Roll: 406] A fledgeling wizard tries to touch you with an icy finger, but misses.
                          A lay sage wields a decent sling in both hands.
                          a lay sage fires some stones from a decent sling at you, but misses.
                          e
                          You'll have to retreat first.
                          A fledgeling mentalist walks away to a dry, spongy woods, to the northwest.
                          [Success: 599, Roll: 924] A bolt of chain lightning streaks in from the northwest passing through and electrifing you with a loud *ZZZZZT*! 75 points of damage!
                          A scarred soldier wields a great sling in both hands.
                          a scarred soldier fires some stones from a great sling at you, but misses.
                          A lay druid stops wielding a supreme iron fist.
                          A lay druid stops wielding a quality thatched shield.
                          A lay druid spins a protective carapace around a lay druid!
                          [Success: 600, Roll: 67] A thick chain of lightning streaks in from the northwest, narrowly missing you.
                          A runt thief wields a supreme short bow in both hands.
                          a runt thief fires an arrow from a supreme short bow at you, but misses.
                          A runt thief yells, "Eat this!"
                          Someone is moving away from you nearby to the northwest.
                          [Success: 615, Roll: 948] A bolt of chain lightning streaks in from the northwest passing through and electrifing you with a loud *ZZZZZT*! 40 points of damage! You fall, kicking and screaming, into the oblivion of Grendel's embrace!

I was trying the tactic of moving away from uglies whenever they were sensed. And watching/sensing/looking so that I didn't move in the wrong direction. I didn't even have the option. It's shit!

Granted, if I had my 30 fp from the wasted karma, I'd have had a better defence, but I didn't because of the wasted 30 on DP because of an inadequate information karma sheet.

Growl. I am SO angry! Growl

Comment

Even a single spawn is pretty deadly these days. I just cracked level 30, and I've found from looting, (of me, which is fairly frequent), I'm spawning 5-6 uglies, each of which is level 30, (or thereabouts). This leads to much ouch, if I can't run off quickly enough.

I appreciate the increase in resources, which I've noticed tonight. However, I haven't seen much difference in the ugly hit points, and I'm generating plenty of multi-spawns. I think every hunter will tell you - the chance of a spawn goes up quite a bit after the first one. If that could be toned down just a bit, I think we'd all be able to spend a bit less time with Grendel.

I don't need easy - by all means, I know I'm taking my life in my own hands every time I leave the lair. I can live with things as they are. But, if I had my choice, I'd like to see multi-spawns reduced a bit more.
                            "Sometimes, in order to make progress and move ahead, you have to stand up and do the wrong thing." --- Representative Gary Ackerman (D-New York)

Comment

ahhh the attack of the server

I think at the very least, the reduced lag today has helped out a lot, I know Its helped me out tremendously.

And something else I was wondering... In times of high lag since monsters and uglies can attack multiple times in a row, would it be possible for the servers or whatever actually releases those horrid uglies upon us (by spawning so very many groups in a row) to attack you with multiple spawns in a row? I know doubles are pretty rare in normal times, at least it seems to me and I have decent infamy... up on the leaderboard anyway, but yesterday with all the lag I was getting doubles and a few triples up the kazoo. So maybe in lag times the game sends out too many spawns at once somehow? *shrug* I dunno, just another of my crazy ideas.

As usual, hope you can actually understand my... *looks up and realizes he cant describe it* yeah, whatever you wanna call it.

~Z~
                              Ephaelion says to you, "I can just picture in my head the grandmaster brigand locksmith spending days jamming repeatedly one such coffer, thinking 'They will all pay when they open it and find only a sen inside'"

Danasei says to you, "What is this reference to a flower other than daisies!? I DO NOT LIKE IT."

An urchin with tattered large sacks on his arms runs through the area, clutching a flint-tipped spear yelling, "Rue! Rue! Rue!"

Comment

Working...
                              X