Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

A halt to hostilities.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A halt to hostilities.

In light of recent events and with the aid of a small ooc chat with a good man, I am calling for an immediate, if only temporary halt to the hostilites between the clan of Fallen, and the alliance against them. There are several reasons we have come to this conclusion.
    1) The mixture of IC and OOC in the rules set forth by the three clan leaders at the begining of the war made for a difficult understanding as to whether they were IC or OOC.
    2) The now apparent shortcoming of these rules.
    3) The taxing of patience, and fun the war was having for almost all involved, and even those not involved.

I have notified and will continue to notify all members of the clan of Grendels Chosen, about this new truce. I ask that not only the Fallen, but all those active in the war please consider this alternative. The truce is temporary and it will be worked.
    In the future when new rules of ettiquete are drawn up, I would like to see a few changes.
    1) Including a much larger number of monsters than just three clan leaders. Including part of the hierarchy of each clan, and wandering monsters as well.
    2) Clear statment whether they are OOC rules of ettiquete, or IC rules.
    3) Much more feasable and thought out rules, and definition of terms. [For example, the member of fallen I was talking to said that some of their members idle for long periods, and I know that this is the case in our clan as well.]

Finally, this is in no way a surrender, or end to the war for anyone. It is a truce, but one that should be honored until a better system can be put into place. As such, I think it would be a fairly nice gesture from all sides not to be rubbing things in peoples faces, or run around shouting that one clan or another has lost the war. Also I think a stop to large scale IC and OOC flaming would provide a nice little break.

Ciciro
    http://www.crush007.com/love.cgi?id=1127958542pnx
    http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/uthgolsarchives

I couldn't be happier to see the ball rolling...

I too have posted to the Fallen... and will pass the word...

Now would be a good time to get the WM's invovled...

Also, I’d like to apologize to Ciciro/Malice… It seems I was mistaken about your personal character… and for that I’m sorry…
    Last edited by CornFed; 09-18-2002, 06:10 AM.
    “Who is this irresistible creature who has an insatiable love for the dead.” Twitter @tyrantbain

Comment

I have a few rules for the war, if anyone's interested...

Comment

Cicero, you know my character has a high respect for Malice. But I'm not sure how I cannot speak for Pishaw as a character here. What I'm trying to say is that the OOC/IC mix for making rules is difficult. As this is OOC my comments will try to stay OOC.

My main point is that I think you will have to be very careful including WMs in this agreement. Personally (or am I being Pishaw again?) I don't like SMs making rules for WMs. I don't even think I'd agree with a WM making rules for me either; that would mean I was in the WM Clan. WMs are different from SMs.

I also feel that this truce has come about because of Antigone's ingenuity. Could it be that the Chosen and other SM lairs fear a WM/SM builder attack? Remember this is OOC, I'm asking a question, not raising a challenge. But if it is, then be clear about it, although it could cause a new, divisif relationship between SMs and WMs.

As it happens, the Chosen have generally created good bonds with WMs. They have shown unusual understanding of the benefits of WMs - trade, etc. But I warn against writing down rules that will be at best unenforseable.

Merlynson
        Nothing in Uthgol makes sense.

<You grumble: Be annoying. It's a wanderer's finest trait.>

Comment

I can appreciate Antigone’s ingenuity, however, this has very little to do with the WM raids… As described above… there are issues with the SM war rules… which need resolved… If everyone is not having fun with this SM war, then there is a problem… the rules are a place to start…

By stating that, now would be a good time for WM to get involved, I was opening a door for those who were upset that they weren’t involved… and no… the SM’s wont make rules for the WM’s to follow…

Also we need OOC community policies… one of which to deal with raiding when no one is awake… (this goes both ways…)

Hope that clears up some of this.
          “Who is this irresistible creature who has an insatiable love for the dead.” Twitter @tyrantbain

Comment

One thought about clan members not being awake - You have to adderess time differences. This is not a US world completely. It is unfair to penalise the rest of the world from attacking when they are awake.

Please don't miss my point that one WM or all WMs but one can make rules for WM.

Players choose to be WMs for good reasons... sometimes.

Comment

You are free to express your IC thoughts about the topic here as this is closely tied IC and OOC. The reason I posted in the OOC forums is because this is not a strictly IC truce, there are problems with the arrangement of rules, and fair play that need to be worked out OOC. Some people can't play much during the day. Some people live in other time zones. Everything needs to be taken into account that wasn't taken the first time around, and it needs to be discussed on a much larger scale than the first terms were done on. It is likely that in the near future we will have an ooc meeting for everyone interested to participate in, and try to lay out some guidelines, for the community as a whole.

Comment

Come on, this is a game. There is no reason for Player v Player bull. We are having a war and personally I have better things to do. Get over it an move along on the game.

Hopefully we have all learned something from the war and can move to better game play. Find a solution and end this war if only to start another one that is better defined. This is a war game so there will be wars, BUT KEEEP THEM char v char and clan v clan.

I took part in both of the dismantlings of Fallen. The first one with my warlord Malice and the second at the invitation of Antigone. I was the only chosen there at the second dismantling and considering that Fallen had revenged itself against me while I was asleep and destroyed some of Chosen I did not feel out of line. Still don't. Perhaps Fallen will not be so quick to desparage the premier builder in all Uthgol.

The thing I believe we should all remember here is simple. This is a game played in our computer world where we need to have a lot of fun. Things said IC'ly should be taken with a grain of salt and play should always be enhanced by IC actions. When it stops being fun it's time to move along and do something else.

Let's get it together and start over. Unlike RL you can always wipe the board clean and make our world whatever we want it to be. My vote, make it fun.
                Headt Buildter of The Ninth Dominion
                Guildt Master
                Pioneer on The Plains of Light

The history and legend of Barbarosa www.cvwebs.com/barbarosaden

Forum:www.avidgamers.com/barbarosaden

Good whiskey, fast horses and wild women and then maybe some -----------------FASTER HORSES

Comment

actually, I find this war going as i more or less expected. It's not a precisely RP enforced environment, so there is a lot ooc/ic/mixed mudslinging, I would say not bad for a first war in Gold GR.
                  I must not lag. Lag is the game-killer. Lag is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my lag. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the lag has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

<Toasty the Gryphon grumbles: [ I had a visual of Lurekus as, like .. a mummified Mr. Clean.. ]>

Comment

Well the board is clean and Fallen was in our lair this morning to mark it. Only problem is they forgot to tell everyone else the truce was over. Forget what I said above. Until Fallen is wiped from the game Uthgol will just have to live with war. That appears to be the way Fallen wants it so they may have it. The only reason they wanted a truce was to repair their lair and mark ours. These people scream about any infraction of others merely to gain advantage. I will no longer listen to their propaganda nor will I grant them quarter.

Barbarosa
                    Head Buildter of Chosen
                    Chosen Buildter Guildt Master
                    Headt Buildter of The Ninth Dominion
                    Guildt Master
                    Pioneer on The Plains of Light

The history and legend of Barbarosa www.cvwebs.com/barbarosaden

Forum:www.avidgamers.com/barbarosaden

Good whiskey, fast horses and wild women and then maybe some -----------------FASTER HORSES

Comment

Apparently this has been blamed on one individual, bloodstorm, which shows the how OOC and IC get confused. I welcome rules on IC and OOC discrimination,

But in playing OOC how easy is that? Say a WM is treated unfairly by a SM, how likely is it that a clan will support the WM? In my experience, there has at least been lip service. But does a WM support a clan? - maybe. Individual WMs make their own choice based on how clans have treated them - or for more bizarre reasons. So how can you regulate?

Most WMs don't care about truce. Their reason for attacking Failen is because of the Failen's attitude, or for destroying their dens. Sedicious has declared war against humanoids, not just a clan. Anyone listening in the Shrine knows of Failen's secret war against humanoids.

As a WM I say that I can wander wherever I like. If a clan stops me, I will gather support where I can.

Good luck with your meeting. I will contribute. But there is no representitive for WMs.

Comment

You make a good point Merlynson. Wandering monster obviously don't abide by rules of conflict and such. They can partake in rules of ettiquite, like not attacking a player while he/she is being attacked by uglies and such, but obviously WM's or anyone else for that matter do not have to abide by that unspoken law.

The GM's and other Admin that designed the game took into account many possibilities. That is the reason why WM's are not given the choice to building as a skill. Because a wanderer with building would be a *huge* threat to everyone.

The game balances out in a lot of issues if it is RP enforced. For example:

WM attacks a clan. He kills everyone memeber of the clan on sight. Might raid the lair a little bit if he is strong enough. That is the limit to his power.

The SM's in the clan retaliate by raiding, and/or destroying his den, and teaming up to kill him, or bringing grunts to help.

The problem comes along when freelance or temporary SM's are made to aid WM's. In which case you get situations like this:

WM and buddy SM builder go and raid a lair. After carrying away all the resources, the SM builder destroys the lair.

That means that a tier three WM and a newbie builder make a very menacing team together. If a WM is acting with a clan that has guidelines to follow, the situation is much different then.

My suggestion is that when this meeting is held it be held with two standards.
                        1) Set rules of ettiquette. Just a few things that are curtious to people in the game, that don't have to be followed, but make the game more fun. Breaking these would either need a very good IC reason, or would bring a lot of IC disdain to the offending character.

and 2) Somewhat more elaborate, rules for clan vrs clan conflict. So that a clan that is attacking with the aid of a WM on a specific raid would either make the WM follow the rules for the duration of that raid, or pull back support from the WM when the rules are about to be compromised.
                        There is much more that can be said about each of those standards, I think it should all be covered in the meeting however.

Ciciro

Comment

Any idea when the meeting might be… I’m available in the evenings after 8:00 EST

Comment

I can be around 8 PM EST as well...I'm not really sure when it will be however... Maybe some else could step up to help organize it as I have a fairly full schedual.

Comment

came to my attention that Legion does not see itself as being part of this if temporary Truce. Can someone clear this up?
                              I must not lag. Lag is the game-killer. Lag is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my lag. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the lag has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

<Toasty the Gryphon grumbles: [ I had a visual of Lurekus as, like .. a mummified Mr. Clean.. ]>

Comment

Working...
                              X