Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here:

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give):

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox:

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer:

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at
See more
See less

GR down until further notice [GR Up]

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They've tried the restore three or four times, with escalating sizes. They are definitely saying the sparse files are a problem. They're also saying that they're ready to turn it over to a back-end engineer, who may take up to 24 hours to respond.

So, probably tomorrow.

Very frustrating that their backups appear to have a bug when dealing with sparse files, but as I said, they're hard to work with.

Originally posted by cjmccoy View Post
      Thank you very much for the explanation. Sounds like you are working as hard as you can to resolve the problem so thank you for that, we know your time is valuable. With luck, things will get back to normal soon.
      I second this. And thank you for working so hard on this issue. GR players often feel like the neglected step-child where support for the game is concerned. It warms my heart to know you are working so hard to restore our beloved game.
      SMARMY the GIANT

I believe we're running again. Hopefully everything is well.

The problem *was* the sparse files. I had them restore without any of the sparse files, which is fine because the nightly backup is actually in two parts: (1) I backup the sparse files to another directory; and (2) I make a compressed tar of those backed up files. So without any of the sparse files, I just unpacked my tar and rebuilt from there. I am thankful that I created a several times redundant backup system when I moved us to the cloud.

The backup should be from 3am on Friday, which was the last backup before the power outage, so despite the annoying three and a half days of downtime, that's just the pretty standard seven hours rollback which we can expect to see when a machine is taken down without notice.

For any regular players of the game (e.g., I'll see time spent on GR when I look at games played last week) who were put out by not being able to play over the weekend, feel free to drop me a line at and include your Skotos account name and I'll send you over some StoryPoints as apology.

PS: Now that I can actually look at our Grendel's Revenge files, I suspect they would had to increase to just over 400G to be able to restore. That's because the sparse files on GR take up about 1.5G, but bloat to almost 200G if filled in (and there are two non-compressed copies: the live game and the backup).

SMARMY the GIANT

Woo hoo! Thank you for everything! I can get my GR fix now and looks like all my characters are intact. Thank you for all the updates and hard work on your end.

While some attention is being paid to GR, perhaps staff could address a point I've raised in other threads, which is that when GR Free Accounts were announced the possibility of Free Accounts having two available character slots was raised - the time seems right for this to become a reality.
                Marx the Lich
                Rykon the Dwerger