Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

And so it all comes to a close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so it all comes to a close

Anyone else slightly devastated to be partly responsible for the coming total closure of GR? I kinda miss all the old crew right now ._.

...even Shadar
    Rythgen says:
    "arg! i would defend myself but my massive schlong prevents me from moving!"
    The current rune bearer is Jinn the Hydra, who is located very far away to the northeast at a hot shaft.

ICYMI

Folks,

For twenty years now we're run Skotos as a single game service, but Christopher and I are both moving on to other things. As a result, we have decided to split up the Skotos game service, to allow the individual games to truly be controlled by the players.

To be precise: we plan to split off Castle Marrach, Ironclaw Online, The Eternal City, and probably The Lazarus Project in this way. We will unfortunately be shutting down Lovecraft Country and Monsters! Monsters!: Grendel's Revenge, as they've fizzled out over time. We expect to shutdown those two games in the next month or so, while the more comprehensive split will happen in the next 5-9 months: perhaps as early as November, but definitely no later than the end of March.
    From Shannon in the main Skotos forum
    Rythgen says:
    The current rune bearer is Jinn the Hydra, who is located very far away to the northeast at a hot shaft.

Comment

Really unfortunate, but I knew it was coming. Also, I wouldn't hold any of the people who just stopped playing due to boredom or a busy life responsible.

Comment

I regularly check in to the forums to see if anything is going on. I am going to miss the game... in it's prime, the game was amazing. Mostly due to the people!
        “Who is this irresistible creature who has an insatiable love for the dead.” Twitter @tyrantbain

Comment

Originally posted by CornFed View Post
          I regularly check in to the forums to see if anything is going on. I am going to miss the game... in it's prime, the game was amazing. Mostly due to the people!
          It really was! I 100% owe my mad typing skills to this game it’s pretty sad that it fell by the wayside like it did
          Rythgen says:

Comment

Decided to check up on the forums like I always do and found this sad news. Although I already expected this to happen.

I want to thank everyone who I played with almost 20 years ago. (Didn't realize it was that long).

Toasty, ColdFire, Usuichii, Lurekus, Bane, Chasm, Exodias, Kaoslace, Annu, Hecate, Netze, Malice, Slardar, Cedextra, Dvea, Rythgen, Kitiy, AND many more that I can't remember at this time!

Thanks for the fun memories!

- Zetsu
            - Remember(The Lich)

Keep in touch guys!
            <Usuichii the Vampire grumbles: [Still there, or be ye a ghost?]>
            <Usuichii the Vampire grumbles: [Or worse, Zetsu?]>

Comment

I was 15 when I stumbled upon GR. Things were not okay at home. The game and community has provided an escape for which I will be forever grateful.
              Thank you to all who knew me through some of the cringiest years of my adolescence and still like me for some reason, lol.
              I'm sure we've all gone through a lot of changes since GR's peak. It would be nice to catch up and reintroduce ourselves somehow.
              Originally posted by Rythgen
              Fiendy could witstomp you into oblivion.

<Vyshka the Wyvern grumbles: {Hecate wins the internet. Forever.}>

Comment

I'm really going to miss this game. It was fun while it lasted. hopefully they can archive some of the forums so we can go back and remember the good times.
                Really going to miss playing Anuu My website will be still be up I guess, https://uthgolarchives.webs.com .
                Originally posted by Usuichii
                Anuu, Master of Scrolls. All of them.

Comment

Originally posted by fiendish_thingy View Post
                  I was 15 when I stumbled upon GR. Things were not okay at home. The game and community has provided an escape for which I will be forever grateful.
                  Thank you to all who knew me through some of the cringiest years of my adolescence and still like me for some reason, lol.
                  I'm sure we've all gone through a lot of changes since GR's peak. It would be nice to catch up and reintroduce ourselves somehow.
                  Keep in touch, guys. You can find me on steam

https://steamcommunity.com/id/axtian
                  <Usuichii the Vampire grumbles: [Still there, or be ye a ghost?]>
                  <Usuichii the Vampire grumbles: [Or worse, Zetsu?]>

Comment

We have a steam group too, https://steamcommunity.com/groups/uthgol. Several of us are already in it.
                    Originally posted by Usuichii
                    Anuu, Master of Scrolls. All of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Zetsu View Post

Keep in touch, guys. You can find me on steam

https://steamcommunity.com/id/axtian
                      I just now changed my name on Steam to make the account easier to recognize for anyone that wants to add me/those that were already added and maybe forgot who the account belonged to https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198076209705/
                      Originally posted by Rythgen
                      Fiendy could witstomp you into oblivion.

<Vyshka the Wyvern grumbles: {Hecate wins the internet. Forever.}>

Comment

Feels like a very "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas" kind of shutdown, but hey. Good times and good memories. Glad I came back for a little bit before everything went away, but will be weird not to have the ability to fire up GR every so often when I feel like killing some time/uglies. Surreal to think this game has been of some significance in my life for over a decade. Thanks for all the memories, y'all.
                        Marx the Lich
                        Rykon the Dwerger

Comment

I loved playing Smarmy. She was an expression of my alter-ego merged with some lunacy and an infantile outlook. I also played Korky, Scoundrel, Saffire, Yelpi, and a few other lesser characters. I tried. And tried, and tried. Then the game finally collapsed. I played for the interactions with other players, and my love of creating things (Korky, Yelpi, Saffire, and Scoundrel). I will miss so many of you players who have crossed my path in this game, especially Kava, Levidium and Cedextra. I sit not knowing what to do with my GR gametime. Sad, but expected. This could have been an epic game, if only the powers that controlled it would have invested some attention in it.

Originally posted by Fangor View Post
                          Feels like a very "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas" kind of shutdown
                          Rest in Pieces of game-code, GR.

SMARMY the GIANT

Comment

I will be playing until the end, if anyone wants to come cause mayhem with Smarmy. Also, if anyone in Scoundrel's lair has anything in their personal room (magical items) that they want retrieved before the lair collapses, let me know and I can have Korky go get it with you, to disarm the traps along the way. No judgement on getting items before the game goes down. It's nostalgic.
                            SMARMY the GIANT

Comment

Yeah... it's been a long time since I really played the game, though there was regularly that thought in my head: "Maybe I should log back in on Nads again?"
                              Nadriel the Hydra, Coranth the Wyvern... a couple dozen other lesser characters that never really panned out. It's where I picked up my love of actual roleplaying, though I don't really seriously roleplay that hard these days. Too busy working!

I don't think I really played the game in its prime, because I remember hearing about events that had happened from before I'd played, but still... GR was a big part of my life, and I hate to see it go.

Because it's where I met my wife. For those curious, Kitiy and I live together now. TECHNICALLY not married, but might remedy that next year...

Maybe I really will log in, just wander around for a bit... Shame I never did put in the effort to reach T7, but by the time it was even possible for me to reach it, the game was already fizzling out. At some point I remember Artair was wanting to offer me Rakshasa, but by then I'd stopped playing and wasn't particularly interested in returning since nobody really played the game anymore.
                              And it would mean de-tiering and re-tiering over to Basilisk, when I already needed so much grinding to hit the level requirement for T7 (assuming I had it right back then, but I don't remember what it is now).

I think I'll just say I was happy as a Hydra. It was fun to RP, and if I'd really put effort into it, I could have mastered having three attacks and Haste to spam all three of them for the themed fun of being a Hydra. If I had changed to any other WM tier, I would have missed the extra heads.

I'd love to see GR rebooted with a fresh game world, supported by a dev to keep events and stories going. Maybe revamped game systems, or at least robust help files...
                              Hell, if 20-40 people were committed to playing GR, I'd totally try to play it at least on weekends again!

Because what really killed it for me was that nobody was around. It's hard to care about being a better Hydra when there's nobody around to fight.
                              Current Monster: Nadriel the Hydra

-----------------
                              "It's easy to criticize someone who generates an idea, assumes the risk."

Comment

Working...
                              X