Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

expansion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• expansion!

I was thinking about what could be done with GR over the last few days...and discussed it with a few people, got smore more ideas...I figured I'd share with everyone even though I am not expecting much support.

I think GR could be expanded in a few different ways and not taint the games theme.
    First off make a new caste. A caste of water monsters, able to navigate water make lairs in water and such. all these creatures would get an 8th ability like some chimera's get fly...this ability would be some type of underwater breathing thing. Land based monsters could breath underwater by potions similar to sky blue potions...perhaps ocean blue potions. 8) Or mages could learn the skill. As far as restricting these water monsters to water, all monsters should be able to breath above water, however underwater could be set up how ascending is now. Just 'submerge' maybe. Limited time for non-water monsters. Obviously you could still have social and wanderer water monsters. For instance a Tier 7 wandering monster could be a Kraken maybe. Perhaps a Leviathan. You could have a person be a Giant squid perhaps *considered a monster even today*
    We all could come up with some good water monsters no doubt if the GMs had trouble (which I doubt). After a bit of talking I was suggested to call this new caste the 'Naga' caste.
    Humanoid
    Undead
    Chimera
    Naga

Now, people are going to ask why on earth create a new caste designed for an area 1/8 the size of the rest of the gameworld. Thus I come to my second point, not really original, but still....

Make the oceans large and open, but leading somewhere. Perhaps another island. This island could be populated by stronger humans with better equipment, but still gave good fp to the spawning monsters. Like a lv 300 monster with decent infamy will sometimes have uglies with Hydra armor. Also more weapons. Spears, lances, better archery equipment, crystal armor...ya know, good stuff. (saddles from horses you could put on a chimera. ) another thing dealing with this...on a regular basis, like fanes, a boatload of humans travel from the 'mainland' to Uthgol with higher lv uglies and you could either attack them while on the ship or as the get off at the human village.

The distance to this new area could be reached by fliers and swimmers obviously. Teleporting should only be possible for the best teleporters around...like Lurekus could have. Teleporter structures could only reach it if it has a minimum ammount of favors invested, like 500.

Another possibility is builders could construct makeshift rafts. The better the builder the more people it could hold. Like Boghl could build a clipper ship that could carry all of Uthgol to INVADE THEM FOR ONCE while Lahan could build a log raft that he could only take one person with at a time. *eyeshift*

Now, the only problem I have is figuring out what the naga caste monsters will hunt for favor. Doesn't make much sense to have a huge ammount of uglies swimming around, and it loses the theme by killing sea creatures. Any ideas about this? I know you don't normally spawn ascended..perhaps you wouldn't spawn submerged? While on the surface you could have uglies on smaller fishing boats attack you.

Sorry about it's clustered nature, but it is past 3am here and I am tired. I am interested in what people think. Suggestions? Comments? Hopefully not too much negativism. 8)

~Matt
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." ~Plato

"People want realism. I want a game. If they need realism, they need to go get a life." ~ Holypaladin

Re: expansion!

Originally posted by Matk1812
    Now, the only problem I have is figuring out what the naga caste monsters will hunt for favor. Doesn't make much sense to have a huge ammount of uglies swimming around, and it loses the theme by killing sea creatures. Any ideas about this? I know you don't normally spawn ascended..perhaps you wouldn't spawn submerged? While on the surface you could have uglies on smaller fishing boats attack you.
    If they were to add a new caste,they would have a big spiffy event to usher them in.During it im sure they would have a big huge backstory,and I could see it being something along the lines of "Humans have gotten desperate in their fight with the monsters of Uthgol.Their rune mages and witches have conjured up an ally creature from another [plain of existance, dimention,realm,or old magic] to attack us from the sea..The [insert watery creature here].Thus the Naga sensing the invation of their home waters have come to help Uthgol defeat the new threat."..
    And a new island or continent would rock..With all the older SM/WM we could spread like a virus...

Edit: With a water caste Id hope the GMs could give them attacks that do acid dmg..I remember the old help files on it,would be a fun new twist.

edit...again..: Possible thing for a water caste to hunt...Merfolk!
    You can't stand my Gouf.

Comment

Elementals, bound to Warlock's commands.
      Mutant humans.
      Merfolk.
      Spirit Ocean animals.
      Darkimp Isamaru

Comment

Eh, you could include humans on boats with big ballistas and catapults, as well as regular bows and slingshots and crossbows. Maybe even burning pitch, and they do ranged poison-like damage

However...it has often been suggested that a new caste be added, (in fact, Asmod suggested a water-based caste somewhere...BlackHand will have linkage I bet), as well as expanding the map. The servers are already about to explode with what we got. What we need first is hardware improvement, then we can get better software We want to make sure we don't have too much of a server load. Then again, this may not be a problem. I do know for certain, however, that the priority right now is to get all the little glitches in the game fixed, (not all structures work, not all abilities work, the mage balance issue, etc.).

I'd also love it if each caste got one or two new races, so that they aren't exactly jipped. Also, introduce a new role to go with the caste, like they can't be shaman, but they can be <insert new role here>. I'd like to stick with each caste only being denied one role.

My thread somewhere in here has a bunch of ideas on race and caste somewhere, mostly collecting them into one spot. It's called "Castes and Races" (linkage later). If you get ideas for races or castes, even roles would be a good idea to put there, store it all into that one spot. I think the GMs would be happy to have to look into one place for player's comments on races, castes, or roles.
        Current Monster: Nadriel the Hydra

-----------------
        "It's easy to criticize someone who generates an idea, assumes the risk."

Comment

i read about a third of the first post...yeah, well anyway my vote would be yes. this sounds like a cool idea.

.o0 (if we made a pole would they put it in just for the hell of it like they did with tha fanes?)
          Japes point towards Studgrob. A single point of light flashes from the middle of Studgrob's body, then starts growing larger until a great dome of bluish-white energy consumes him and his surroundings! 999999 points of damage! Studgrob roars a final time before dying

Japes says, "Ninja minotaurs in love."
          Japes flails.

Synchar: Toastah!
          Toasty: o.o
          Toasty: OMG, IT'S A SYNCHAR.
          <Toasty thwacks you with a rolled up newspaper.>

sgp NO LAG! *can't breath* *starts to turn blue*
          StoryGuide Damocles responds, "Just calm down. Maybe it's the start of great things."

Comment

the new caste would be harder to intergrate and balance

the expansion on game territory has been thought of many times, but unfortunatly never discussed by the gms
            -Shadow

Comment

Expansions are always cool. When's the last time GR actually got something really new, and not just fixed?

Comment

We got that little extra swamp area..That gets you stuck after a few paces,or killed...Tons of fun there But atleast it shows the world can be expanded on.
                You can't stand my Gouf.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinn
                  We got that little extra swamp area..That gets you stuck after a few paces,or killed...Tons of fun there But atleast it shows the world can be expanded on.
                  Wait.. where's this? I didn't even hear about it.

Comment

'Bout 5 W of the undead throne.Then due south.
                    You can't stand my Gouf.

Comment

I would actually like snowy areas and desert areas. The snowy area could be way north past the northernmost mountains, and the desert area could be past the easternmost mountains. I'd play in those all the time. x_x
                      <Zetsu the Vampire grumbles: [ GR's like meth... you try it once and for the next 10 years you're still hooked to it no matter how bad it gets ]>

Comment

perhaps different types of uglies in certain areas...
                        -Shadow

Comment

If there was some sort of huge ocean added,Id like to see a few more islands..Not big ones..But ones that are like 3x3...Id so claim my own little island.
                          You can't stand my Gouf.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinn
                            If there was some sort of huge ocean added,Id like to see a few more islands..Not big ones..But ones that are like 3x3...Id so claim my own little island.
                            well if the ocean is big enough, 2 or 3 islands big enough to support a clan would be nice... plus a decent number of those 3x3 types
                            -Shadow

Comment

As long as we're on things I think would be cool, I'm all for building tunnels outside of zones of control.. tunneling into somebody else's lair, or tunneling under the river if you're deep enough. Only tunnels though. And make a new kind of entrance, a tunnel entrance. And you can trap any tunnel that isn't in somebody else's zone of control.. *eyeshift*

Well, I like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X