Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
2 of 2 < >

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

*sigh*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *sigh*

Ok...so if you read Blackhands post you know whats going on...

I checked in this morning to see if anything had been done and it hadn't up to this point so I decided to hunt for a bit.

There were 8 people online, thats all...and the lag was HORRIBLE!!! I mean...c'mon...

I had three warriors with me...who all died in between the time I was able to approach a human and claw it...It could happen regularly, but they were all hit about 3 times a peice...

This is geting ridiculous...
    Bae'Lin the Melee Bard

Thanks to Tanz for the Pic

Feldin The Mana Snorting Sphinx

To say things are not optimal is an understatement.

It is a sad situation that the lag has gotten to a point where even the most ardent fans of the game will not play. I love GR, but Im playing less and less because it seems stagnant and seems to be regressing.

I probably wont be active for awhile, as much as Id love to reach t7 or at least make a good go, its unlikely I'll enjoy the journey in the lag.

Plus the lack of any IG events and updates to make the game more pleasurable has also put me off it a little.

Comment

Grendel's Minions

Arctinite the Zombie Babayaga the Hag
      Baelin the Minotaur Chambers the Minotaur
      Snillo the Sphinx Tarnist the Troglodyte
      Volo the Phoenix Winthra the Glacial Gryphon

again, 8 online...and I for one am lagging...I have a cable modem, comcast, they just upped most of their lines to 4mb down...

I just wish I could type a command and have it happen...thats all...
      Bae'Lin the Melee Bard

Thanks to Tanz for the Pic

Feldin The Mana Snorting Sphinx

Comment

ok, i have a 12 second roundtime... I don't need it to be a 12 minute roundtime...fix something...anything please.

Comment

Um, Baba is an NPC, so, that would be 7 awake.
          Vote GR
          Vote GR
          Originally posted by A Dwarf Engineer
          Crossbows were good and fine, but nowadays, a gun is better - and if a gun is good, then an automated self-aiming gyro-mounted gun turret with a cyclic grenade feeder and napalm cannister is even better yet!

Comment

mine goes up to 10megs per second and i get lag to heck and back

it is gr server and everyone knows it the gms need to fix it or seek help to fix it

The silent reflection is broken by Royal, as usual, the most opinionated and obnoxious of the group. He tosses his booted feet upon the tables surface, his silvered mask gleaming in the firelight as it turns to face Lividium, “What the hell do you want now?” Typical Royal tactfulness of course. The rest of table grins, laughs or smirks as they deem appropriate.

Comment

One fix that would help somewhat would be to make the game entirely ASCII. The images of the map, the timer bar, the abilities, all the images that you see on the Alice client, would take up a large amount of the data stream. I didn't mind the ASCII format of Achaea when I played it.
              Current Monster: Nadriel the Hydra

-----------------
              "It's easy to criticize someone who generates an idea, assumes the risk."

Comment

I used to think the same, DrakeWurrum, but I since changed my mind.

What we experience is 'sever lag', not 'connection lag'. Meaning, the GR program's getting bogged down, but whenever it does figure out it needs to send something to the players, that doesn't slow things down much.

At least, that's what I infer from having multiple types of connections, and studying the lag over the time I've been here.

Now, not having to (re-)download images would likely help the dialup users a bit. To that end, here's somethign I suggested a while back. And it may have a tiny server benefit too, but I doubt it'll be large unless they have an unusual server setup.
                Blackhand

Comment

I believe the lag of the last few days was due to an overdue server restart. Last week's was missed. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Comment

i'm sorry to inform the staff after the restart it was smoother for a lil while but i still get heavy patches where i enter a command and nothing happens for anywhere from 10 - 30 seconds and i have a cable connection at home and a t1 if not more at work so its not my connections.

there is something more wrong here and you all are missing it repeatedly the same problems happen even when you switch severes or put new hardware.

i'm sure you all see this but you all play it off as if its our connections that are the problem not yours.

i know gr is the sad lil adopted cousin of Tec but we still are paying customers and we want what we pay for to be worth it. i pay premium and majority of the time i play a single game and a single character.

please fix this it is one of the major issues of GR and it will one day end up being its death nell if its not fixed. and i mean seriously fixed. have you considered that one of your program might be causing more lag? if not something similar?

ps sorry if this feels like i'm attacking anyone its just frustrating

The silent reflection is broken by Royal, as usual, the most opinionated and obnoxious of the group. He tosses his booted feet upon the tables surface, his silvered mask gleaming in the firelight as it turns to face Lividium, “What the hell do you want now?” Typical Royal tactfulness of course. The rest of table grins, laughs or smirks as they deem appropriate.

Comment

Don't worry Royal, I think you're speaking for most of the GR community there.
                      Current Monster: Nadriel the Hydra

-----------------
                      "It's easy to criticize someone who generates an idea, assumes the risk."

Comment

I've been monitoring GR all day, and haven't seen any lag except some that I inadvertently caused while cleaning some things up this morning. Was there a backup going when you experienced the lag this morning?

Comment

Everyone's been noticing spikes of lag, just listen to the Sentinel grumble from time to time and you'll see. These spikes generally last ~15 seconds for me.
                          Rythgen says:
                          "arg! i would defend myself but my massive schlong prevents me from moving!"
                          The current rune bearer is Jinn the Hydra, who is located very far away to the northeast at a hot shaft.

Comment

Yeah, ditto. though I don't suggest or encourage listening to the Sentinel grumble.... >.>.... *remembers last night*
                            <Zetsu the Vampire grumbles: [ GR's like meth... you try it once and for the next 10 years you're still hooked to it no matter how bad it gets ]>

Comment

i don't know how you can disregaurd what we say when we are all complaining about it if it were one or two ppl then it would be no big deal. BUT WE ARE ALL SAYING IT.

Comment

Working...
                              X