Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Choose the Theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choose the Theme

Greetings. In this post i will summarize those possible themes that were proposed by me and others. Feel free to vote which one you like to play out best, and the one most voted for will be it. Should you not like any of them, and have a better proposal DO offer it to us

Golden Rain.(Telvanni Guard)

While flying the sky one day, a particular Gryphon was in a dire situation. He flew fast and he flew strong, however, his bladder was not as strong as he. When it hit him he was flying above the shrine and try as he might to hold it he couldn't. The golden shower was refreshing to the lower gathering of Orc, until they realized who was making it. One Orc managed to get a good look at the Chimera and followed him to his lair and declared war! The Chimera has since left the clan both for embarrasment and for fear of the Orcs and thier fellow Humanoid, but the grudge still remains.

settings.
    chimera dominant clan, with possible non humonoid mercenaries.

humonoid dominant clan, with possible non chimera mercenaries.

Hair Battles (Rakshasa)

There once was a large clan which was composed of every manner of monster, and which functioned in relatively smoothly.

Their secret?

Embrace differences.

Everytime clanmates would encounter each other, they would remark in admiration the qualities and characteristics which made their fellow clanmate different then themselves.

The phoenix would remark to the lich, ~My what a terrible aura of darkness you've got surrounding you, it's quite impressive.~

The vampire would remark to the Ogre, ~I wish I had feet as big as yours, they are massive.~

All functioned well enough, and the only dark spot on this unusual clan was it's hierophant. This codigy old minotaur, had not actively worked against the ideals of the clan, but he by no means participated in the shinanigans of the clan. But he was a loyal friend to the elder leader of the clan, and so did his best to accept the new fangled ways of his young clanmates.

This minotaur had a daughter, one that was precious to him, and he was fiercely protective of her. He tried his utmost to keep his daughter's head on straight, and did not want to accept that he was fighting a loosing battle...that she was beginning to embrace this whole ~Admire your differences~ nonsense.

One day, he noticed an entirely too shaggy young minotaur male attempting to curry his daughter's favor. He was appalled by the extremes in which this fellow had allowed his hair to grow. He hobbled right over to this young minotaur and demanded to know why he had his hair so long.

The young minotaur replied that he had seen a bugbear, and had admired the way it had let it's hair grow all out. So, he wanted to embrace change, and decided to do the same as the bugbear. Many of his companions had seen his long hair, and decided they wanted the same...and it was a trend which was becoming quite popular.

When the old hierophant commanded the young minotaur to cut his hair to a reasonable length, the young male laughed and responded, ~You should learn to admire differences in others. I did, and I like my long hair...and I think your daughter likes it as well.~

Enraged, the old codger stomped off, but only after commanding his daughter to not have anything to do with this young upstart.

The next day, the clan leader called all of his minions together for a very important announcement. It seemed as if the Hierophant had a very strange, very powerful vision from Grendel, and it was of utmost importance to hear the words of Grendel.

All gathered, and the Hierophant began his declaration.

~Grendel has given us strength and prosperity. He has shown us that through diversity we can become strong. He is pleased that we admire the differences in others, for that is where we can find strengths to our own weaknesses. HOWEVER, there is something that he is most displeased about.
    LONG HAIR
    There is an appropriate length for one's hair. To have it grown out longer then is appropriate is an abomination to Grendel, and he has promised that our clan will fail utterly, if we do not heed his words.
    So it is my job to command all those who have let their hair grow out to an abominable length, to have it shorn immediately.
    This is the will of Grendel!~

Of course, the Hierophant's plan did not quite work out the way he had wanted. Many in the clan were already mistrustful of him, and instead of agreeing to his demands, they left the clan, his daughter among him. But not only those who had long hair left the clan, those monsters who believed in the ideals of embracing difference left as well. Some had short hair, and decided to grow it long, others had no hair but choose to go with the long-haired faction.

Thus the create Hair conflict was born. The long-haired faction called the short hair faction naked, while the short-hair faction called the long-haired faction scraggly.

Over the last 1000 years the nickers (convoluted term for nakeds) still hate the scriggles (convoluted term for scragglies).

-------------------
    The two sides:
    The Nickers
    The Scriggles

--

Current day theme:
    The Nickers think that having short hair or no hair is good.
    The Scriggles think that having long hair is good.

--

Clan requirements:
    None

--

Exceptions:

You can be a hairless monster and still be a Scriggle. You'd just be of the opinion that if you had hair, it would be better long, and you'll convince a Nicker that such is the case, even if you have to kill him to get the point across.

--

You can be a short haired Scriggle for the following reasons:
    1. The Nickers captured you, and cut your hair. You are waiting for it to grow back.
    2. You cut your hair purposefully, because you are hoping it will grow back thicker.
    3. You cut your hair purposefully, because you want to idiotically attempt to become a spy in the Nicker clan.

--

You can be a long-haired Nicker for the following reasons:
    1. You really itch when you shave your hair. You know that short hair or no hair is better, and you would be like the rest of your clan if it didn't itch so much.
    2. You're a procrastinator, and are promising everyone that you'll get around to cutting it tomorrow.
    3. You purposefully keep it long because you want to idiotically attempt to become a spy in the Scriggle clan.

Cheese War (Tunk_bodin)

Two young orc brothers were walking through the hills when they happened upon a strange sight. There upon the ground was a Wheel of Hard Cheese, but it wasnt just any hunk of delectible curdled milk product, it was the ultimate omen: A Wheel of Hard Cheese that resembled an Orc in all its glory. If you looked hard at it, in a dim light, with the sun in just the right place and squinted a bit, you would see a hulking orc with long flowing hair cascading from its ears, holding aloft a pinkskin grasped by the neck. The orc's head was cocked back as the pulp from the squishy human dripped down his throat, in his other hand was a beating stick, an orcs favored weapon.
    Well as the eyes of these young orcs fell upon this sign of signs, they both rushed eagerly to it and coincidentally arrived at the same moment. What happened next was a tug-of-war of immense proportions. After a hefty struggle that lasted a mere twelve days and ten nights (they mutually agreed to sleep three nights to regain their ebbing strength), the orc brothers decided to leave the Wheel of Hard Cheese in its resting place and honor it together.
    Time passed as it always seems to do and the brothers grew older, took mates, spawned child-like orcs and eventually drifted apart to form their own clans. BUT they always returned every night to the place of Cheesiness and gave their solemn oaths to protect and preserve this natural masterpiece.
    Til that fateful evening as the sun drew close to the horizon and shadows shifted with every step, the orc brothers arrived at the same moment with their families and clan in tow. Jaws dropped. The infamous Wheel of Hard Cheese was missing. Both sides assumed foul play from the others and a wrestling match ensued, insults were thrown, barbed tongues were met with closed fists, thrown rocks pelted from the sky.
    Both clans blamed the other and the feud has carried on for generations. Even now whenever something bad happens you will never fail to hear, "Must have been so-and-so from that cheating, thieving, no-good clan next door."

Unbeknownst to all involved, the Wheel of Hard Cheese simply decayed over time and returned to ground in its natural way.

[Just need two Orcs willing to be feuding brothers and a bunch of followers on both sides.]

Who is Grendel ?
    http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.p...threadid=40602

Ugonnadie's Throne
    http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.p...threadid=40600

if i missed something please add it in.

PS: theme, not team. what a heck was i thinking about while writing this ?
    Golden Rain.
    9.09%
    Hair Battle.
    42.42%
    Cheese War
    27.27%
    Who is Grendel?
    15.15%
    Ugonnadie's Throne.
    6.06%
    Missed or newly suggested theme A
    0.00%
    Missed or newly suggested Theme B
    0.00%
    Missed or newly suggested theme C
    0.00%
    Missed or newly suggested theme D
    0.00%
    Some radical proposal or comment that turns the whole idea around.
    0.00%
    I must not lag. Lag is the game-killer. Lag is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my lag. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the lag has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

<Toasty the Gryphon grumbles: [ I had a visual of Lurekus as, like .. a mummified Mr. Clean.. ]>

If Im going to sit back and watch a bunch of newbies go nuts on each other,I gotta vote for the idea with the phrase "golden shower" in it.
    You can't stand my Gouf.

Comment

I liked the Who Is Grendel? theme the best. If it's any of those joke themes, I won't be participating. :/
      <Zetsu the Vampire grumbles: [ GR's like meth... you try it once and for the next 10 years you're still hooked to it no matter how bad it gets ]>

Comment

I like Who is Grendel, but favor Ugonnadies Throne. In either case, I'll participate..it seems like a great idea in general, so the theme chosen won't really put me out. I don't think the more humorous themes will cause people to want to grow in those 30 days..I mean, there's no real purpose or passion behind them. The cheese one isn't so bad..but my vote is still for the other two more believable options.

Comment

I would like a more immidiate and tangible reason for the clans to be fighting. Some sort of object they can actively fight over.

I'd much prefer it not be the 'usual' caste wars, as we've had lots of that. Plus any 'caste wars' would IC'ly encourage outside involvement.
          Blackhand

Comment

I dont know about you guys, but cheese is pretty hard to find nowadays...

Go Cheese!

Comment

Originally posted by The Burninator
              I liked the Who Is Grendel? theme the best. If it's any of those joke themes, I won't be participating. :/
              Here is my take on this issue. The whole point of this endevour is to have fun by doing something completely different.

And if we are going to do something different, we should strive to find a conflict and theme that won't typically occur in our regular gaming.

~Caste vs. Caste~ conflicts
              ~What is the nature of Grendel~ conflicts
              ~I want to be the Leader~ conflicts

All those types of conflicts are things that you can find in your typical gameplay, mostly, because it's easier for a leader to set up that sort of conflict and get their minions involved, and hopefully get another opposing group of people involved.

It's highly doubtful that you'd get any of the major clans to get into an all-out, no-holds-barred conflict due to hair or cheese.

If we do end up with one of those themes I hope you decide to participate, the more who end up participating, the more grandiose and wild it will be.
              Watching

Comment

curses, whenever i look at the poll the hair and cheese is always tied. first i was 2 to 2, now it's 7 to 7, geez.

Anyway, I propose we begin doing this at Saturday, 8est to 12 est, as a gathering phase. A phase where we do 'not' allow progression of the theme, and basically are simply establishing and seeking out recruits. Naturally, you can join later then that, but then you might be missing out on .... something.

On the location of the lairs, this will probably be up to the team, so if you want to waste a lot of time fighting through lag filled terrain, go ahead and make your lair in the middle of nowhere. You'll have mentor to coordinate it with the other's team if you like.

The way we decide theme is simple. At six est I am going to take a look at the poll and whichever's greater at the time is IT! If that precise theme is not good enough, I am sorry. But since the general goal of the whole project is entertainment, I prefer to entertain the majority.

Jinn, you offered your help. if Cheese will win, you got any cheese?

Now ...

Who here believes he or she is capable of becoming one of the drives. That's leadership roles, and hierophant roles, or whoever's the main trouble maker in that precise theme. I must warn you, chances are you'll end up being a diplomat for leader. Both sorts will have to do a lot of talking, which mainly could be summarized in more eloquent insults of the other team then the rest. I apologize, but I will probably leave the decision on which volunteer will get those roles to myself, but ANY sort of support or commentary OR objections are very welcome.
                I must not lag. Lag is the game-killer. Lag is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my lag. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the lag has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

<Toasty the Gryphon grumbles: [ I had a visual of Lurekus as, like .. a mummified Mr. Clean.. ]>

Comment

Originally posted by Arienh
                  I don't think the more humorous themes will cause people to want to grow in those 30 days..I mean, there's no real purpose or passion behind them. The cheese one isn't so bad
                  I have to agree.
                  Pyra Wildflower

Comment

The cheese theme is winning..if it's going to be any of the lighter topics, I'm glad that one is in the running. I'll do whatever you need Lurekus to support this project, just let me know. Can't say I'd be the greatest Orc leader..perhaps a few of those who have done leadering for some time or who have experience with conflict (i.e. Lividium, Netze..even perhaps Rythgen, Jinn..you know, those types) would volunteer *peers at them all*. Anyway, I work Saturday until 10:30 eastern my time..so I'll be showing up a little late, but let me know what I can do to help.

Comment

Hey i missed the meeting this morning, had work to do on the farm. I hope i didn't miss anything important. Um well i dunno if i'll be able to be on at 6 est tonight or not for more farm working reasons but i'll try my best to get on long enough to learn what you are fighting about and what clan i'll belong too. Um I can't be a main leader but i'll glady take some warriors under me. I doubt i'll run across some cheese cause it looks like thats what we will have. It's better then the cheese but not as good as who is grendel i think. None the less i can't wait for it to start

Comment

Originally posted by Arienh
                        .perhaps a few of those who have done leadering for some time or who have experience with conflict (i.e. Lividium, Netze..even perhaps Rythgen, Jinn..you know, those types) would volunteer *peers at them all*.

Find me IG sometime and I'll be glad to pass on my prickly ways
                        Id use PMs but my box is broken.

Originally posted by Lurker
                        Jinn, you offered your help. if Cheese will win, you got any cheese?

Sure,I'll start to gather some cheese now just incase..
                        You can't stand my Gouf.

Comment

Might I just point out, a majority means half plus one....

You're just looking for whichever gets the most votes.
                          Current Monster: Nadriel the Hydra

-----------------
                          "It's easy to criticize someone who generates an idea, assumes the risk."

Comment

Was the meeting this morning? I just assumed when Lurker said 8:00, he meant 8:00 pm. Sorry for missing it, if it was indeed this morning. And if so, where can I meet the now-forming clans?
                            player for
                            Sunfire the Phoenix,
                            Edamas the Haunt
                            and others...

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker

Anyway, I propose we begin doing this at Saturday, 8est to 12 est, as a gathering phase. A phase where we do 'not' allow progression of the theme, and basically are simply establishing and seeking out recruits. Naturally, you can join later then that, but then you might be missing out on .... something.

The way we decide theme is simple. At six est I am going to take a look at the poll and whichever's greater at the time is IT!
                              Ok, Lurker proposed a meeting on Satureday between 8 EST and 12 EST.

He also said that the theme would be decided at 6 EST.

Since we have heard no other confirmation from Lurker, I'm going to assume that all those times are PM.

So on Saturday, 6pm EST, the theme will be decided. That will give people a few hours to make their character and decide on a character concept.

Then between 8pm EST and 12am EST, we will get together form up teams, decide where to make the lairs, ect.

So, I'll see you all then. Regardless of the theme, this should be a lot of fun.
                              Watching

Comment

Working...
                              X