Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Advertising for Grendel's Revenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertising for Grendel's Revenge

Yes, that's right. Advertising for Grendel's Revenge. You know, those banners that show up on websites and make people come play our game? Those. I'm going to pay for a few adds for GR. I'm in the process of making a Project Wonderful (Google it) account and setting up the adverts now.

I've got $90 which can buy me a few weeks or maybe a month of advertising, depending on the site or how many I pick. Which is cool, I really only wanted to go for a week right now. I did some searching and this is allowed. Apparently, Skotos believes in letting the customers advertise. This may sound kind of odd, but it's been proven effective in the past.

So, right now, I'm looking to advertise at http://theslackerz.com/, it's a web comic I'm pretty fond of, and I can advertise for a good while at about 2 dollars a day, as long as I keep the winning bid. I'd like to see if anyone else had some good suggestions for websites we can advertise on?

Also, more importantly, which ad?? http://skotos.net/media.com ! Help me pick one. I'm looking at the 468x60. The 1st and 3rd GR ad looks the best for me so far. Thoughts, opinions?

Also, if anyone would like to help me keep the ads up longer or on more websites by helping me pay for it, PM me
    -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Sounds like a plan. I've already been doing some minimal advertising of my own, but it's not much, and I'm not exactly a popular fellow.

All I've done is post in whatever forums I visit (usually indirectly, since most forums have rules against ad-spam), put a link on my myspace, and mention it on my Facebook. But hey, it's better than nothing, and I'm sure it's grabbed some people.

I urge everybody here who DOES have MySpace or Facebook, or any other social networking site, to follow suit and post a small piece about GR on there to help spread the word.

Every little bit helps.

Also: If anybody wants to try affording advertising on, say, Penny Arcade, Ctrl+Alt+Del, xkcd, VGCats, Dueling Analogs, LFG Comic, 8-bit theatre, or F@NB0Y$, feel free to try! I know I plan to set a little bit aside myself to work towards such a goal. Those are not only very well-known webcomics, but they're all active (except VGCats, it's largely dead imo), and a large portion of their audience is comprised of gamers. So, let's shoot for the moon.
    Current Monster: Nadriel the Hydra

-----------------
    "It's easy to criticize someone who generates an idea, assumes the risk."

Comment

Webcomics are a very good way to do it - try The Adventures of Dr. McNinja. I think it's $3.20 a day (yep, the site says it).

It's a simple layout and the button would get noticed.

EDIT: http://www.projectwonderful.com/adve...?id=178&type=2

Perhaps not enough button space, but 60,000+ unique views per day.
      Marx the Lich
      Rykon the Dwerger

Comment

Bah, http://www.skotos.net/media/ is the media link. The other one wasn't working. Click on the size I mentioned above. Please help me pick one.

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

If any of you somewhat artistically talented artists out there, or even those of you who have some mild skill using Photoshop, feel free to try designing your own ad. Whatever would catch the eye of a potential MUDder!

-----------------

Comment

I've already got two ads picked out that I'm going to use.

This: http://www.skotos.net/media/468x60/GR468x60-03a.jpg

And this: http://www.skotos.net/media/custom/Grendel125x600b.jpg

I've got three websites picked out with some great help from Amdrea and Kitiy.

I'll be advertising on Theslackers.com: $1.00-$3.00 a day. 9k visits a day minimum, 21k visits max (so far).

Crowfeathers.net: $1.30-$3.30 a day. A staggering 20k to 55k visits a day and a REALLY good spot on their website.

Pclips.com: $1.00-$1.30 a day. 7k-15k visits a day.

All together, it's about 3-7 dollars a day and we can get some serious hosting done for a few weeks. I'm looking at a 4th website too.

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Well, I already know which one Kitiy suggested. Crowfeathers is a good spot to advertise, as it's a pretty decent webcomic. O.o

I was only thinking about where gamers would gather. PVPOnline.com is another good place to advertise, but it appears that their price is $11+. ><

You could advertise on F@NB0Y$ for $6.90 using a skycraper type ad. They get an average of 87k viewers a day. That more than doubles how many people those three you've chosen will already have. There's also a good skyscraper ad spot on Drowtales, but the minimum bid is $10. Depends on whether or not that's worth the 60k people they get on average.

-----------------

Comment

My budget is only $90 and I'd like to do this the smart way.

$3 = 1 day of 20k-50k people. $9 of the same amount is 3 days and a total of 60,000-150,000 people.

$7 (rounding up) of 60k people is $21 dollars for three days and only 180,000.

That's a gain of 30,000 for spending more than twice the amount. Gotta think smart!!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Originally posted by Usuichii View Post
                  My budget is only $90 and I'd like to do this the smart way.

$3 = 1 day of 20k-50k people. $9 of the same amount is 3 days and a total of 60,000-150,000 people.

$7 (rounding up) of 60k people is $21 dollars for three days and only 180,000.

That's a gain of 30,000 for spending more than twice the amount. Gotta think smart!!
                  Assuming you're not just getting the same 20k-50k people each day. You can't guarantee those 180k or those 60k-150k people being all different people. That's something a "smart" person would take into account, I hope you realize. Most webcomics get the same people each day.

Not to mention, since you're ignoring part of your numbers: that's a gain of 60k-120k people. This is why I stick with the "average" instead of looking at highs and lows.

You also miscalculated. The Fanboys site gets 87k not 60k. Multiple that by three and you get 261k. The 60k people was from Drowtales.
                  So in that cause, it's a gain of 110k-200k.

-----------------

Comment

I've decided on all the websites, now just waiting for my money to come in.

Here's the expected results:

$5.30 with 85,000 page views a day (combined with the others)

I can keep that up for about 16 days (over two weeks)

16 days with 85,000 page views a day equals 1,360,000 total views.

If even only 10% of those viewers click our ad (According to all the information, about 60%-80% of people who visit a site click the ads, only enough. So I'm far undershooting that.), that's 136,000 people visiting Grendel's Revenge. Now, if only 1% of that actually try the game, that's 1,360 people over 16 days.

How cool is that.

I'm not good at math, but I hope the above is right.

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

GR hasn't had a whole screen full of people on since Beta or shortly after going "gold" I think... lol, so it would be interesting to see what kind of server tolerance we have if say, we even had 1360/16 = 85 extra people online in one day.
                      Ephaelion says to you, "I can just picture in my head the grandmaster brigand locksmith spending days jamming repeatedly one such coffer, thinking 'They will all pay when they open it and find only a sen inside'"

Danasei says to you, "What is this reference to a flower other than daisies!? I DO NOT LIKE IT."

An urchin with tattered large sacks on his arms runs through the area, clutching a flint-tipped spear yelling, "Rue! Rue! Rue!"

Comment

Originally posted by masterz View Post
                        GR hasn't had a whole screen full of people on since Beta or shortly after going "gold" I think... lol, so it would be interesting to see what kind of server tolerance we have if say, we even had 1360/16 = 85 extra people online in one day.
                        We already have to worry about a full-sized spawn from a single person causing server lag. A few days ago I got a double-spawn, each one with six people, and I lagged so much that enough uglies rolled over 950 to kill me by the time the lag went away.

I don't think we can handle that many people. ><

-----------------

Comment

And you assume that was server lag?

Comment

Originally posted by Vorico View Post
                            And you assume that was server lag?
                            I do when other people in my grumble were also experiencing that lag.

-----------------

Comment

There are several kinds of lag. There's server lag, internet lag, and client lag. The most common lag appears to be client lag, followed by internet lag, and then server lag.

We don't have to worry. The game will handle it. I'm more worried about updating the front page before advertising than I am about lag.

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Working...
                              X