Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

GR's Home Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GR's Home Page

Well, I've decided to pop back in after a prolonged absense.

And I must say the first thing I noticed was the lack of News & Events listed on the home page. The page is very nicely laid out, I've always thought this, but coming back my eyes were immediately drawn to the fact that the latest News & Events was dated 06/25/06.

For a newcomer to the site (one who may not check the forums) it may seem that the game has been dead for over two and a half years now.

Is there any way to get this updated? What do you guys think about this?

First of all, welcome back to Grendel's Revenge

Second of all...Yeah, I agree. Completely. My votes in on this being changed/fixed/updated. I want to advertise for GR as soon as I get my money this Friday (I think?) and I don't want to do it if the front page isn't updated.
    -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Create a new banner:

"The game so perfect, it doesn't NEED updates!"
      <Pandarus thinks aloud: Oh Ereal's blazing jewels, I'm on my way.>

Comment

!

That is so far from the truth its actually humorous. But great work being done lately

I think they should at least be cheesy like my buddy and I do on our game, if we haven't had any updates for a while we wish everyone a happy new year, or happy (insert closest holiday here). Hey it at least shows we are paying attention and updating something on the site.
        Ephaelion says to you, "I can just picture in my head the grandmaster brigand locksmith spending days jamming repeatedly one such coffer, thinking 'They will all pay when they open it and find only a sen inside'"

Danasei says to you, "What is this reference to a flower other than daisies!? I DO NOT LIKE IT."

An urchin with tattered large sacks on his arms runs through the area, clutching a flint-tipped spear yelling, "Rue! Rue! Rue!"

Comment

What the game really needs is a revamp of the entry level to the game. People trying it out for the first time that don't know beforehand what builds are going to work in action or anything about combat mechanics outside of the tutorial are hardpressed to find enjoyment in the game when they can spend a good 5 min killing the first few humans they encounter and even then with frequent deaths. Think the change to the hp system to make things more enjoyable for the higher levels is more-or-less responsible for this as I don't recall it taking so long to kill stuff when I'd first rolled Grimwulf like 3 years back.

That and the incredible difference in power now between new players and those that have been here for years is insane. When I first reactivated my account a few nights back a rolled a new troll shaman and got facerolled by WMs for a few thousand dmg a half dozen times where I didn't even see or have any way to interact with what hit me. So you've got demi-god veteran players roaming around that one will never have a chance of standing up to killing new players and uglies that are a pain in the ass to to take down killing most of the enjoyment new players might have while just exploring the world of Uthgol. Not sure what the solution to that would be without narrowing the massive power spread of maxed and lower monsters which would no-doubt piss off a lot of people, but there's a few things that could be done to make it easier for new players. Namely; make mentor a baseline mechanic for all leaders such that they can reach out and help ease the transition of new socials to the game.

Then again I might be completely off as there's a new changes to the game that I'm still getting used to.

/ramble

Feel the quarrel in just his presence, you know the character all too well...
          A destructive man at war with his cowardice.
          I detest belligerence, and I choose not to accept it;
          Not into my life.
          Keep separate these hatreds.
          Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.
          Focused misanthropy is opposition to these dark hearts -
          Downpours of disapproval no words could begin to express.

Ulthak/Grimwulf the Ogre/Hodur the Bugbear

Comment

I know just how ya feel. I only recently made it to T6, so I'm only around level 600, and I can still feel this massive gap in power between me and the older players, especially Exorn, Shadar, and Cato. I guess Artair, too, but he's not an older player.

And then I happen to outright destroy somebody, like a random troll who happens to wander nearby where I'm hunting, and I realize how much the gap in power truly sucks. This is one of the reasons WoW is so popular, I think, because getting to "max level" is the easiest thing to do in WoW. Granted, getting the equipment and the skill to match older players takes a bit of trial and error, but you can probably see where I'm getting at.

That doesn't mean WoW is better, that just means WoW is friendlier to new players, and I think that's an area GR could stand to improve in.
            Current Monster: Nadriel the Hydra

-----------------
            "It's easy to criticize someone who generates an idea, assumes the risk."

Comment

What Drake means to say is, is that World of Warcraft is an instant-satisfaction game. I have a problem with these games. They're too easy and simplistic. I think WoW and any other MMORPG should be kept out of any and all discussions concerning Grendel's Revenge at all times. This is Grendel's Revenge and nothing else. We're an incredibly unique game.

That being said, and back on topic, I agree. I want to see the front page changed and I'd like to have another look at our games introductory system (doesn't exactly mean it needs changed or that I think it needs changed.) Other than that, I think we're just fine. I think it's our duty as a player base to ensure our new players aren't slaughtered as easily. If you see a new player, go find them and make sure they join your grumble/clan, or that they aren't lost in the mechanics. I do it all the time.

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

I don't think the gap in power is as much as a problem as the fact that the game is set up so that people always bring their high-powered friends to fight, even if the prize of the fight is as insignificant as someone dying.

I do not find it a problem when a low-level of mine can get his arse handed to him by a t6. I find it a problem when there is absolutely no PvP in the game where the t6 does not show up. Every fane, -each- throne. People are entirely unwilling to actually have fun with PvP, more concerned with maxing out and then preying on people that are weaker than them.

I miss the days where people of similar levels actually duked it out.

Comment

I think the whole system needs a bit of an overhaul, especially when it comes to combat. Getting duelist/weapon skill/koncentrate/BO giving you like 3.5k accuracy in a static relationship to a roll that only fluctuates between a 1000 point spread is rediculous especially when the power of the monsters in the game varies so much.

I'd suggest axing the values by a ton across the board - maxed skills giving like +100 to a roll tops over a static accuracy/def value of 500ish on uglies/other monsters, maybe scaled down even further as I lack the knowledge as to the power of leader bonuses. Of course, in a system like this and the damage people are putting out it'd come down to a game of who can get their attack off first and destroying their opponent so I'd say scale down damage drastically as well and perhaps even revert the old change to overall hp values to a lesser degree.

As far as social vs WM balance goes;

I'm thinking maxed out social warriors should have ~1500 hp and hits for 150-250 on a 550ish hit roll against a T7 (450 defense). T7 should be able to take down 3 maxed/near maxed socials so give them about 2500 hp and attacks for 300-450, but that being said and with the current size of the playerbase, 5-6 mid- > lower level socials should still at least a remote chance of downing a powerful WM so they'd be averaged around 700 hp and hits for 100-150 on ~a 750-800 hit roll (350 defense) on a T7. Mix up the social group with shaman or the like and they might stand a bit more of a chance, encouraging diversity.

Scale the numbers however much you want, even if you want to add like a 10 factor to everything as people seem to like big numbers, but a lower value system is just easier at least to explain. And by all means, as/if the population of GR increases and you see more people online in clans at once boost up the power of WMs so it takes more people to take them down.

Also, homogenize the damage values of phyiscal weapons on a case by case basis across the proficiencies so it becomes more of a cosmetic difference than a mechanical. Or at least the make differences a lot smaller. Imo physical attacks *should* hit harder than their magical variants to a small degree due to debuff affects that magical attacks have available (DoT/slows/what have you [Wow terms but whatev])

Probably missing a bunch of my original thought process but hopefully I got enough down to encourage at least some discussion/debate. By no means am I claiming like my original 3.5k accuracy number as fact as I was never much for exploring the exact mechanics of this game when I did play it a bunch so just take it for concept not face value =p

Not into my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Usuichii View Post
                    What Drake means to say is, is that World of Warcraft is an instant-satisfaction game. I have a problem with these games. They're too easy and simplistic. I think WoW and any other MMORPG should be kept out of any and all discussions concerning Grendel's Revenge at all times. This is Grendel's Revenge and nothing else. We're an incredibly unique game.

That being said, and back on topic, I agree. I want to see the front page changed and I'd like to have another look at our games introductory system (doesn't exactly mean it needs changed or that I think it needs changed.) Other than that, I think we're just fine. I think it's our duty as a player base to ensure our new players aren't slaughtered as easily. If you see a new player, go find them and make sure they join your grumble/clan, or that they aren't lost in the mechanics. I do it all the time.
                    You can call it "unique" and value you this ideal as much as you want but do you really want that exact "uniqueness" to drive the game into the ground? I loved this game 2-3 years back when we had numerous active clans with 5-6 people online within during the day. It was a lot more balanced as the level spread was no-where near what it is now, granted WMs were probably a bit underpowered. My problem is the fact that it takes *insane* amount of time for say a pure warrior to level anywhere close to 500 let-alone maxing himself out and even then what of it? You're either gonna have 50's on people or 950's, and what fun is that?

Not into my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulthak View Post
                      My problem is the fact that it takes *insane* amount of time for say a pure warrior to level anywhere close to 500 let-alone maxing himself out and even then what of it? You're either gonna have 50's on people or 950's, and what fun is that?
                      This. Been playing for literally years and I'm still not maxed just because of the soul-crushing drudgery that is levelling a pure warrior and the end result is exactly what he said, 50s or 950s.

At least in WoW I can piss away time and have fun doing it. (Obviously excluding the social interaction portion of both games.)

Comment

Sad part is that I mean I'm sure a lot of the vets or the people that invested inhuman amounts of time into their characters to get where they are share exactly Usuichii's point of view - and I mean I can't see World's Apart or whoever the hell actually pays to run GR now warranting the amount of time/resources to revamp the game to such a degree to make it more accessible to more people.

Not into my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Usuichii View Post
                          There is a vast difference between making a game exactly like all the others, and looking at other games for inspiration with different ideas and concepts that we may have not yet considered.
                          I never bring up WoW with the idea to make GR like it, because I don't want ANY game to be like WoW, as it is the most imabalanced piece of crap on the internet. Just because WoW is really fun doesn't mean it's not a piece of crap, it just means they did things with the game to make it fun for a large amount of people.
                          I want to keep GR unique, but I don't want it to be so different that nobody wants to play it. Ulthak mentioned starting up a troll and getting one-shot out of nowhere.
                          What if he was a new player? Can't you imagine this going through a new player's head in that situation? "What the hell is this? I just got one-shot while fighting some humans and I didn't even see the guy coming! Screw this, I'm going back to WoW where I stand a fighting chance!"

What I meant to say, is what I said: this game needs to be friendlier to the new players, and I don't just mean on the level of mechanics and how to play.
                          It's not rare for one of the existing clans or WM grumbles to show up and help a new player. People learn the game quick, and it's actually pretty easy to learn. The problem is when, say, they go to their first fane battle, and they're blasted to pieces in one shot by a T6 WM who wants a little bit of karma. That's not PvP, that's using a sniper rifle to hit a brick wall from point-blank range.
                          The gap in power is a big problem, not because there's a lack of instant satisfaction, but because it truly can turn off a new player from the game, especially when they figure out just how much work it takes to even be able to survive against veterans.
                          Current Monster: Nadriel the Hydra

-----------------
                          "It's easy to criticize someone who generates an idea, assumes the risk."

Comment

...thread hijackers!...

Comment

So I was thinking about a larger updated to the Home Page later down the road. What about a sort of mini-leader's board on the front showing the leading clans(In a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etcetera order), the results being a combination of resource, infamy, numbers and more.

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Working...
                              X