Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

making Uthgol a better place to 'exist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apocolipsnow
    started a poll making Uthgol a better place to 'exist

making Uthgol a better place to 'exist

Should the SGs start up a thick, ongoing story line from all of our input?
    27.27%
    Should the SG start a story line without our input?
    45.45%
    Should there be a contest, where we can get rewarded for our ideas?
    27.27%
    Should GR be left alone, just the way it is?
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

I'll keep this simple. I want to upgrade GR if thats possible. It only takes a collective opinion of the whole player base, or at least half, to make the kinds of changes Im talking about today. First, I suggest a 'war' between the humans and the monsters to liven things up. Someone mentioned, and I forget who and am too lazy to look it up, mentioned something about were-wolves, this is known as a humans disease, and why shouldnt humans catch it? I suggest we carry on our war with the humans as normal during the day, but at night time, humans get scarce and only were animals are available to fight. When the sun goes down and the moon comes out, hear strange un-monster like sounds that we might normally hear in the night, no more humans at night but big were wolves that, when spawned by one, give a tier 7 a hard time. Where SMs cant walk around alone anymore. Have some were-creatures crash an arena tournament, smash through lairs, crush us monsters when they catch us alone. And the kicker would be, us, as monsters of Uthgol, Grendels children, would have to solve the mystery of why and how the humans have gotten this disease, would they blame Usuichii's laboratory? blame the WMs? or is it something else?

Also, had new ideas for monsters that could be implemented....
    Giant spiders in the forest that weave webs across random pathways, catching you and eating you while your paralyzed and concious! (same idea as quicksand that inevitibly kills you)

New idea for golems as well, - spider golems, looks like a spider, 6 legs and two arms, faster than normal golem, doesnt obey quite as well, natural poisons, trapping capabilities. Built to kill.

Leech golems - smaller than other golems, sucks life out of target, can transfer that life to its creator. Easier to kill, bonus to agility, hp lower. Strength lower, faster than normal golems, no weapon capabilities for spider or leech golem though, maybe fly for the leech one.

Thats all my ideas for now, just thought I'd get them out there, hope to see what the rest of you come up with.

Please put your feedback and potential ideas down here on this thread, I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

• Vorico
    replied
    Yes, I have switched high slots on WM before. A few dozen times, without any problems, because WM get karma so fantastically easy. It's not painful at all, if you put care into it. Sure, they spend twice as much karma, but they can -gain- ten times as much.

---

The gain difference between combat and non-combat roles is an entirely different topic than WM vs SM. On the topic of WM vs SM:

1.) Warrior SM are indeed more accurate than warrior WM up to a certain point, but it doesn't matter. T4 is just a teensy bit slower at slaughtering human groups. T5 is better. WM get den boost, and WM get better favor. Also, WM get better karma gain.

2.) Mage WM lose no severe bonuses from being WM, aside from very low levels. They more quickly outstrip mage SM in favor gain, because of dens and power. WM get better karma gain.

3.) Have you ever tried to level up a leader? Have you tried recently? It is disgustingly slow without large hordes of mentored minions, or a builder/shaman secondary role.

---

WM get karma from fanes and from karma pools, aside from everything. WM can easily get "FP penalty free" karma by buying it before a new tier.

By the time karma is a huge thing, fanes would give 30+. There are six fanes, and they turn four times a day? Depending on game population, that's a lot of possible karma.

Karma pool: 100 karma a day = 500 FP not added to every single level you get this tier, every day fully donated. Donate 10 days in a row, and you're cutting 5000FP off every single level. I would consider that a big boost (and it's the much smaller of the two).

Lastly, as stated previously, karma gained in a previous tier does NOT affect the FP cost of favors in following tiers. So, yes, you can gain an extra 600+ (prob many less) favors at the end of t5, and never have to worry about FP penalties when you're the proud owner of 7 skills as a t6.

Leave a comment:

• DrakeWurrum
    replied
    Originally posted by Vorico View Post
    Karma costs for WM were manageable before the Rune of Struggle, for the reasons I said above.

Karma costs for SM were arguably not manageable, before the Rune of Struggle. Ever try switching a high-slot skill in for a social?

The rune was put in for both, and affects socials far more. What I was saying also was not really directed at what you were saying, but the general idea.
    Ever try switching a high-slot skill for a wanderer? I'm pretty sure you have. It's arguably just as painful, no matter who is doing it. I can admit it's more painful for a dual-role SM, but it hurts even the pure monsters. The difference is that wanderers also spend thousands of karma just to tier up to the point where a high-slot skill is worth the karma, let alone the karma cost for the skill itself, or the skills before it (including your earlier tiers).

If you're a Builder social, whether single or dual, (I've noticed lots of people doing this, just for quick leveling), you can mine to get your favors, and it comes faster and easier than hunting. If you're a Shaman social, whether single or dual, you can heal yourself, and others, to get favors. I've noticed certain people using this to level faster as well, since they can stand in one spot, never actually killing anything, and just relying on heal favor. Also faster and easier than hunting.
    Leaders can just sit around doing nothing all day, assuming they have Mentor, whether single or dual.
    Warrior and Magical socials have plenty powerful combat capabilities, and they often hunt more easily than WMs do since most people will be under a maxed leader.
    An easy source of favors leads to an easy source of karma.

The only source of karma that socials don't have access to is donating at your caste shrine, and it's capped on how much you can earn each day. If I remember correctly, I can only get 100 each day (it's less for the lower tiers!), and that's if I spend 200 gold and 200 mana for each single point of karma. Seeing as I don't abuse my alts, or even have an alt to abuse with thousands of loot stashed away, I don't often make use of that full donation, and it's far more efficient to just hunt for the favors I put into karma. Although I can keep that karma through my tiering, I still would have to spend favors to get that karma, thus raising my FP cost for every 10 karma I earn. Assuming a bunch of that karma doesn't come from the rune, of course, but I also never had free access to no liquid potions, since I don't use my OOC relations to acquire them. This means I would often die to runespawn and have to go off to get the rune all over again. This is annoying, and sometimes fruitless, when you don't have lair teleporters, sky liquids, Fly, or Teleport. Being a chimera WM, I have access to Fly and Teleport, but I would need to waste both karma and a skill slot to get those two skills to begin with, as well as favors to make them useful, and I'd rather get other skills that allow me to survive/kill more effectively.

Leave a comment:

• Vorico
    replied
    Karma costs for WM were manageable before the Rune of Struggle, for the reasons I said above.

Karma costs for SM were arguably not manageable, before the Rune of Struggle. Ever try switching a high-slot skill in for a social?

The rune was put in for both, and affects socials far more. What I was saying also was not really directed at what you were saying, but the general idea.

Leave a comment:

• DrakeWurrum
    replied
    Originally posted by Vorico View Post
    Mostly random, but:

People who argue that WM have much higher karma costs are only looking at half the picture. The karma costs of WM are indeed far higher than socials, but there are a few things to take into consideration:

1.) How many tiers are you going to spend more than 600 karma on skills? I would only really do it in three, including T7.

2.) Wanderers get to keep karma when they tier up. This karma is not factored into the cost of favors for the new tier. As such, wanderers can essentially operate at a lower FP cost for their level than socials. This can stack up to be a massive amount.

3.) Wanderers already have very easy, steady karma flows if they use them. I was able to get ~700 karma a day before I tiered to nightmare. I tiered to nightmare with almost 30k karma, enough to learn three sets of skills, and my FP cost didn't suffer from it.

---

This isn't really an argument for w/e was being offered above, but a few thoughts on any similarly related ideas. Wandering monsters are far less painful to get the karma costs, imo, and changes to how it is now for SM and WM are not necessarily bad.
    Karma costs for WMs were painful before the Rune of Struggle was implemented. Now it's just about right, assuming a WM can grab the rune. All I was saying is that the rune was implemented to help with the karma costs, and it has done so wonderfully.

Leave a comment:

• Vorico
    replied
    Mostly random, but:

People who argue that WM have much higher karma costs are only looking at half the picture. The karma costs of WM are indeed far higher than socials, but there are a few things to take into consideration:

1.) How many tiers are you going to spend more than 600 karma on skills? I would only really do it in three, including T7.

2.) Wanderers get to keep karma when they tier up. This karma is not factored into the cost of favors for the new tier. As such, wanderers can essentially operate at a lower FP cost for their level than socials. This can stack up to be a massive amount.

3.) Wanderers already have very easy, steady karma flows if they use them. I was able to get ~700 karma a day before I tiered to nightmare. I tiered to nightmare with almost 30k karma, enough to learn three sets of skills, and my FP cost didn't suffer from it.

---

This isn't really an argument for w/e was being offered above, but a few thoughts on any similarly related ideas. Wandering monsters are far less painful to get the karma costs, imo, and changes to how it is now for SM and WM are not necessarily bad.

Leave a comment:

• Apocolipsnow
    replied
    ah, I understand a bit better now. Its not just about giving and taking, its just about taking. Thats a good concept for this sort of game, since its way out of the ordinary and general rules hardly ever apply here. I do like the avatar thrones, and the blood rune is a good feature. Just thought I would toss an idea or two...

How about torture chambers? bring grunts to the torture chambers and sacrifice them there to gain more influence for a short period of time, or maybe have more authority or something like that? Im really new to this game, but Im trying to learn how things work here. Hope we can get some good ideas down for the GMs and SGs to use.

Leave a comment:

• DrakeWurrum
    replied
    Originally posted by Apocolipsnow View Post
    how about a new 'blood rune' type thing? but only for wandering monsters....Where this blood rune only calls out to them, increases their karma like the normal blood rune, but they dont have to contend with it for social monsters? We dont need something to make them more powerful stat wise, or anyone for that matter if you have access to some good potions...but give them the boost some of them need to become better, more powerful creatures. I mean, lets face it, they are suppost to be the top dog of their kind, or along those lines I think.

Also, I see that wandering monsters have access to avatar seats, since some wandering and social monsters both have some many differences, maybe they should have seperate avatar seats? I mean, if Im going after the humanoid seat and the tier 5 or 6 wandering monster comes around smash me to bits and I have no chance whatsoever to get back at the seat. I dont get the avatar. I guess I would have to work at it... But it would be a lot more helpful if the wandering monsters had a humanoid throne and the socials had one....Doesnt make sense to me, just because of the differences between wandering and social, "they have to hide in their lairs" and "we are mighty and strong", from most wandering monster's point of view.
    That's exactly why the Rune of Struggle was implemented. It was pointed out that WMs have insane karma costs, what with having to spend karma not just for tiering, but also re-purchasing skills each time they tier. This is just a way for WMs to help diminish their painful karma costs, but they have to fight off other monsters for it. It's only fair to let SMs grab it, too. That final skill costs a lot of karma, whether you're WM or SM. In fact, it costs more for dual-role.

As much as I like the idea of separate avatar seats for SMs and WMs, I don't really see it happening. When you become the avatar of Grendel for your caste, his power flows through you because you proved yourself worthy...or nobody else was around and you got curious about the big chair. Although it's basically a mechanism for making the powerful even more powerful...that's pretty much what it's for.

That's the way most things in GR tend to work. You gotta be stronger than others to get some rewards, and the rewards keep making the strongest even stronger.

Leave a comment:

• Apocolipsnow
    replied
    why doesn't anyone post something positive here? or are there no more good ideas for this game?

Leave a comment:

• Rythgen
    replied
    And that's fine, I was just giving my opinions on said suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• Apocolipsnow
    replied
    im just trying to make some suggestions. :P

Leave a comment:

• Rythgen
    replied
    Uthgol isn't a democracy. There's no equal rights, privledges, etc. We're all monsters and it's survival of the fittest. If that WM can stomp your face in and take the throne, good. If you really want the throne, get your social buddies and work as *gasp* socials to kill the WM.

Ditto for the rune.

Leave a comment:

• Apocolipsnow
    replied
    how about a new 'blood rune' type thing? but only for wandering monsters....Where this blood rune only calls out to them, increases their karma like the normal blood rune, but they dont have to contend with it for social monsters? We dont need something to make them more powerful stat wise, or anyone for that matter if you have access to some good potions...but give them the boost some of them need to become better, more powerful creatures. I mean, lets face it, they are suppost to be the top dog of their kind, or along those lines I think.

Also, I see that wandering monsters have access to avatar seats, since some wandering and social monsters both have some many differences, maybe they should have seperate avatar seats? I mean, if Im going after the humanoid seat and the tier 5 or 6 wandering monster comes around smash me to bits and I have no chance whatsoever to get back at the seat. I dont get the avatar. I guess I would have to work at it... But it would be a lot more helpful if the wandering monsters had a humanoid throne and the socials had one....Doesnt make sense to me, just because of the differences between wandering and social, "they have to hide in their lairs" and "we are mighty and strong", from most wandering monster's point of view.

Leave a comment:

• Apocolipsnow
    replied
    What about, once a week or something, each clan gets a set day. Where their members can gather enough members of their clan to have an event or something. Give them a chance to raid a human city or something like that. Each clan has a day of the week that best suits them??? Just an idea, also for *bump*

Leave a comment:

• Usuichii
    replied
    I like the idea of day and night differentiating spawns, however, the difficulty between day and night should be balanced, because undead mostly fight at night (I know some, like Hecate, who are just RP-bad a**es that don't even really fight during the day. She's just that much cooler than you all.) But perhaps certain locations at night (or maybe day?) that would be a spot you want to avoid.

I love Golems. I'm most likely the biggest golem user in GR right now, and by my own law I just made up right now, I should be able to decide when new stuff comes out. I want spider golem parts and leecher parts, darnit!

I also wouldn't mind seeing a staff/player joint GR event

Leave a comment:

Working...
X