Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Terminology and Quick Help Guide

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminology and Quick Help Guide

Grendel's Revenge Terminology and Quick Help Guide for Newbies

This guide is to help newbies to the game understand the jargon veteran players use for everyday talk. If I have missed a commonly used term or frequently asked-about topic, feel free to post it and I will add it to the guide.

Updates: Updated 5/15. Currently seeking information concerning the level limits and requirement for all Arena Match tiers.

GR - Grendel's Revenge

SG - StoryGuide

GM - Game Master, Grunt Mastery.

FP - Favor Points

Favor -When your blue Favor Point bar is full, you recieve 1 Favor. Every 10 full Favors spent gives 1 Level.

KP - Karma Points

HP - Health/Hit Points

SM - Social Monster, Shield Master. Terminology is most widely used for Shield Master, as Socials are most commonly called "Socials".

WM - Wandering Monster

Shrine - The structure your character arrives at upon first entering the game. Here you can donate 50 gold and 50 caste-specific resources for a Grunt (if you are a Social) or a Warrior (if you are a Wanderer). You can also locate the Shrine by using the gaze command.

Mentor - Either the Mentor channel which is used for newbies or the skill Mentor. The Mentor channel can be used by using the command mentor followed by what you want to say. It is considered an In-Character channel. Players who have access to the Mentor channel are shown as blue on the who list. This can only be seen by others who have the Mentor channel. The Mentor skill is a Leader ability which gives the Leader access to the Mentor channel and gives any characters who are his direct minions a Favor gain boost, which ceases once the character reaches level 20.

Loot - Resources generally found on humans or located on the ground. Gold is used by all castes, Mana is specific to Chimera, Iron is specific to Humanoids, Shadow is specific to Undead, and Stone is used mainly for Lair Upkeep. Resources can also be mined for by Socials.

Hoard - Resources kept in a Social's personal room or a Wanderer's Den is a hoard give the owner of the Room or Den Influence points, 1 Influence point per 15k total loot.

Spawn - A group of humans the game generates to be killed for Favor. Also used as a verb to describe the game generating humans. (ex: I have not spawned in hours.)

Respawn Point - The location where your character reincarnates at. If you are a Social Monster and a member of a clan, you can either choose the Lair Entrance or a Well to set as your reincarnation spoint. If you are a Wandering Monster and own a Den, you reincarnate at your Den. The default reincarnation point for clanless Socials and denless Wanderers is the Shrine.

Fog - In-Character way of referring to lag.

Agi - Agility

Str - Strength

Auth - Authority

Nrg - Energy

SP - StoryPoints

Tick - When a player either regenerates health or takes damage from poison, creeping crud or burn.

Mark - A command a character uses to saves their current location, and they can return to it either using a bright purple potion or the Teleport skill.

Avvy/Avy - Avatar. Each Caste has its own Avatar Throne and it grants the seated monster a stat, offense, and defense boost when it activates. Avatar activates every 6 or so hours. Activation signs for Avatar last 10 minutes before it finishes and the monster is granted Avatar.

• Brewing: First stage of an activating Throne.
    • Kabooms: Second stage of an activating Throne.
    • Lightning: Third and final stage of an activating Throne.

T1 - First tier for Wanderers. These include Kobold, Scarab, and Spirit.

T2 - Second tier for Wanderers. These include Imp, Hobgoblin, Salamander, Barghest, Ghost and Zombie.

T3 - Third tier for Wanderers. These include Bugbear, Grimalkin, and Specter.

T4 - Fourth tier for Wanderers. These include Hag, Dwerger, Roc, Hippogryph, Wight, and Haunt.

T5 - Fifth tier for Wanderers. These include Troglodyte, Cerberus, and Revenant.

T6 - Sixth tier for Wanderers. These include Ettin, Titan, Basilisk, Hydra, Banshee, and Afreet.

T7 - Seventh and final tier for Wanderers. These include Cyclops, Giant, Rakshasa, Dragon, Dracolich, and Nightmare.

Rune - The glowing, bloody rune that shows up at Fanes. Grants whoever has touched it 2 karma every 20ish seconds, but the holder experiences a movement penalty. Currently seeking information how long the rune lasts.

Fane - One of six places in Uthgol that grant either a Clan a temporary boost in stats or an extra grunt, or gives Wandering Monsters Karma points. The Fanes activate at different times, around every 3 hours. Activation signs for Fanes last 10 minutes before it finishes and the monster is granted the boost or karma.
    • Ghosts - First stage of an activating Fane.
    • Shapes - Second stage of an activating Fane.
    • Unison - Third and final stage of an activating Fane.

Arena - Located south of the Shrine, six different matches called Tiers each with different level ranges.
    • Copper Tier - Social level range 1-55. Wanderer level range ?-?.
    • Bronze Tier - Social level range 50-110. Wanderer level range ?-?.
    • Iron Tier - Social level range 100-450. Wanderer level range ?-?.
    • Steel Tier - Social level range 440-900. Wanderer range ?-699.
    • Obsidian Tier - No level or tier limit to Obsidian Tier, minimum level to enter is 700.
    • Open Tier - Monsters of any level can participate in an Open Tier Arena Match.

Regen - Regenerate, either by natural means or through the Regenerate skill.

Res/Rez - Ressurect, either through the Reincarnate command or the Ressurection skill.

Vorpal - The transport command is used by players with the Teleport skill that allows the player to transport any direct minions, clanmates, or direct grunts/warriors from a Mark to the player's current location. Popular tactic for Fane battles.

Force - The teleport <mark> enemies command is used by players with the Teleport skill to force-teleport any non-clanmates or non-minions to a Mark. Success is based on the target's Energy. Also a popular tactic for Fane battles.

TN - Tooth and Nail

TA - Tail Attack

IC - Iron Claw, In Character

NA - Natural Armor

SA - Sneak Attack, Spit Acid

CL - Chain Lightning

CB - Cold Breathing

CT - Cold Touch

FB - Fire Breathing, Fire Ball

DB - Disease Breath

PB - Poison Breath

BC - Battle Cry

SS - Spirit Shield

SoP -Sphere of Protection

BO - Blood Oath

TS - True Sight

GM - Grunt Mastery, Game Master

Fort - Fortitude, Fortify.

DP - Death Penalty, Daylight Penalty
    Last edited by Catobelpas; 05-15-2009, 02:51 PM.

Potions - Any helpful liquids either made by a Shaman with the Mixer ability or found on humans. Effects given from the liquids differ depending on the type of liquid (see below), and also if the liquid is sipped or drank. Sipping a liquid gives a smaller effect than if it was drank. It is suggested that you drink a liquid instead of sip to get the full effect.

Green - Pale green liquid or Dark green liquid, restores Health Points when sipped or drank.

Chalky - Chalky white liquid, casts a low-level Carapace when sipped or drank.

Silvery - Silvery liquid, casts a low-level Endure Damage when sipped or drank.

No potion - Invisible liquid that causes a character to hide after sipping. Not neccesary to drink this liquid, as you get the same effect either way. Sipping conserves the amount in the vial or jar.

Sky Blue - Sky blue liquid that causes a character to fly after sipping. Not neccesary to drink this liquid, as you get the same effect either way. Sipping conserves the amount in the vial or jar.

Purple - Bright purple liquid or pure purple liquid. Bright purple teleports a character to their first mark. Not neccesary to drink this liquid, as you get the same effect either way. Sipping conserves the amount in the vial or jar. Pure purple liquid temporarily boosts a characters Agility by a certain percentage, normally 10% (when drank).

Milk - Milky white liquid, temporarily boosts a character's Authority by a certain percentage, normally 10% (when drank).

Ruddy - Ruddy crimson liquid, temporarily boosts a character's Strength by a certain percentage, normally 10% (when drank).

Vibrant - Vibrant yellow liquid, temporarily boosts a character's Energy by a certain percentage, normally 10% (when drank).

Cow - Derogatory slang used to refer to Minotaurs.

Bird - Derogatory slang used to refer to members of the Chimera caste.

Deadie - Derogatory slang used to refer to members of the Undead caste.

Fleshie - Derogatory slang used by members of the Undead caste to refer to any living caste.

Pink-skin - Used by any caste to refer to humans.

Letum - Plains of Letum, the expanse of grassland far south of the Shrine before hitting the swamps. Members of the Undead caste value this stretch of land as their own and has been the home of many pure Undead clans.

Larou - Larou Valley, a pocket of jungle area on the south-eastern edge of the map. Most members of the Chimera caste call this area home and has been the location of most pure Chimera clans,

Redwall - Small stretch of mountain area far northwest, across the river. Primarily referred to as home by members of the Humanoid caste, and has been the location of most pure Humanoid clans.

Contributors and special thanks: Artair, Edamas, Silverio, Dark Demagogue, Ryck, Vorico, Rythgen.

Comment

I had to start a new topic and make two different posts, as I hit character length restriction for the first post. Elaborated on the potions and Rythgen, you sure about the limit for Steel being 900? Toasty never hit 900 and she is unable to enter Steel. Vague about her level, it's been a while.. 800-something.

Comment

I'm fairly positive 900 is when Ryth wasn't able to enter Steel anymore. It may be 800 but 900 stands out in my mind more. Dvea's around that level, easier to doublecheck with her.

Comment

Originally posted by Rythgen View Post
          I'm fairly positive 900 is when Ryth wasn't able to enter Steel anymore. It may be 800 but 900 stands out in my mind more. Dvea's around that level, easier to doublecheck with her.
          I'll leave it to you to direct her attention here.

Comment

It is 900 for socials.

Comment

Bumping for great justice.

Scroll written in black writing on grey paper - Repairs and enchants armor.

Silvery scroll covered in red writing - Enchants weapons.

Spotless white scroll covered in silver writing - Reveals hidden enchanted items on corpses, dispels Illusions.

Long scroll of green parchment - Heals the chanter.

Muddy scroll - Knocks down everyone in area into a laying position, knocks players out of hiding.

Musty scroll covered in strange writing - Teleports the chanter to their respawn point.

Charred scroll - Teleports the chanter and all their clanmates/allies/minions/grunts to the chanter's respawn point.

Small scroll covered in unintelligible writing - May cause grunts/warriors in the area to discharge their masters.

Thin scroll written on vellum - Stuns all players in the area.

Red parchments - Destroys some items in the area, on the ground.

Sea green scrolls - Makes fish rain from the sky, fish causes a short stun when it hits a player.

There is also a scroll that when chanted, destroys an item in your inventory. I cannot for the life of me remember the name. And no, I am not talking about red parchments.

Comment

Long scroll of green parchment - Heals the chanter and clan/grumble mates in the same area.

Muddy scroll - Knocks down everyone standing on the ground in area into a laying position, knocks players out of hiding.

Sea green scrolls - Makes fish rain from the sky, causes a short stun when a fish hits a character on the head.

Cracked and Decaying scrolls - Destroys a random item in your inventory.
                SMARMY the GIANT

Comment

I've gone ahead and stickied this post. Continue the great work, everyone.
                  Grendel's Revenge StoryGuide

Comment

Thanks Pence!

And thanks Smarmy for the confirmation of that last scroll and the green parchments. The others I got though >.>

Comment

oh your potion list, "no potion" is not the name of the hiding juice, i believe its "no liquid"
                      A stratus wizard says, "Perhaps I will make a potion from your bones."
                      [Success: 771, Roll: 642] A stratus wizard tries to touch you with an icy finger, but misses.
                      You moan to a stratus wizard, "perhaps i'll make a potion from your mom!"

Comment

Cato... You forgot the Black with gold speckles potion. So, No. Not all potions are helpful... Especially when a grumble-mate's exact words are 'If you want to know what it does, try it.'

For those who don't know, it's mostly a joke potion. I'm not gonna tell what it does, but it doesn't help... Unless... You could throw it at Cato, or make him drink it, that would help. :P Good luck getting him to drink it though.

So, Cato, you should mention that one, but I think it's exact consequences can be left to the reader to discover... Some things should stay secret.

Comment

Uh, I purposefully left out all of the unhelpful potions, just to let people know. This wasn't supposed to be a "guide to every single item in the game", it's supposed to be a guide for jargon. But thanks anyway.

Comment

All the unhelpful potions eh? Oookay.

Bright Teal Liquid - Cures poison

Grey Liquid - Cures creeping crud

Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm still newbish. :P But even if some potions are useless it's still very helpful to know what to touch and what not to touch. I'm sure no one wants to go BOOM from drinking some lumpy because it wasn't listed. <.<
                            ~A cold wind is blowing
                            Through the graves it is blowing
                            And it bares a poisoned tongue
                            And the foul breath of disease~

Currently:Yakumo the Vampire | Martyr the Banshee

Martyr the Wight points at a pile of loot and shouts, "BLASPHEME!"

Comment

The black with gold specs liquid was a method of killing yourself in GR before 'suicide' was implemented. Before then, people would try and get humans to kill them, fall out of the sky, or touch the flame in the shrine to die. It's been made pointless with the addition of the 'suicide' command some years ago.
                              -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Working...
                              X