Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Social v Wanderer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social v Wanderer

Now that we are seeing maxed wanderers, can they be taken down?

Assuming we had a bunch of max socials, how many would it take to defeat a maxed wanderer? 3? 4? more?

What combination would you need?

Wanderers, how would your tactics change if you actually ran across a bunch of high lvl socials?

I hope you don't consider Smarmy to be in any way Maxed. She's higher level, but nowhere NEAR maxed. That being said... she would just laugh as she kicked everyone around until they wimpered in fear and begged for mercy.... Well, that's what she'd like to think, anyhow. Truth be told, Smarmy could easily be taken down if you knew her weaknesses. So now I will butt out of this thread, since it shouldn't contain me anyhow. Just being my usual helpful self.
    SMARMY the GIANT

Comment

Originally, it was that socials could beat wanderers using their superior numbers and leader bonuses, and that wanderers - in their difficulty to be leveled, their grumbles and dens that separate them from other wanderers, and the aggressiveness of most older Tiers, would be split apart. So wanderers are your bigger, badder monsters, socials are your hordes and more complicated monsters.

How is it now? Well, wanderers, for the most part, still operate exactly as they should, I believe. However, they outnumber or are on par with social numbers, which means they have the much bigger advantage. However, just because a mechanic doesn't work as well because less numbers are around, doesn't mean we should have it changed. Never change or plan a game for low numbers. You should be more focused on getting your friends and family to play socials with you if you want them to be stronger
      -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

they best to combat any monster(WM or SM) that is stronger than you is strategy

1. learn its weaknesses, every monster has a weakness and it shouldnt be hard to find, just type help <monster type> to view its stats sheet, though with wandering monsters, that stat sheet is not as direct or clear on the weakness, but asking around may be valuable too

2. groups are the best way to fight anything tough, the more players you have engaged(or approached) with another player, the easier it is to hit that one monster, but be sure to team up with the right monsters with the right abilities, and put them in the right spot, you want the ones who can lower the to-hit ratio the most engaged with the monster you want to slay, and keep the healers and ranged fighters attacking from a distance, dont forget politics, you might just run into a few monsters who might have a feud with your enemy, they can offer help, truces and alliances can be, and have been, made for the sole purpose of defeating a single foe

3. bonuses can tip any scale, anything from avatar and the rune, to leader passive abilities and commanded abilities can heavily influence you and your team, and dont forgot shamans, their spells and potions can keep you alive, and keep the battle going just long enough to favor the under dog, another thing to consider is armor, it can significantly increase your to-hit ratio, allowing you precious seconds in the battle, long enough for your healer to cast a spell and save you, not to mention enchanted armor, some of them have resistances to specific attacks and bonuses to specific attributes

having said all that, i should warn you it takes a long time to learn whats what and whos who in this game, so dont be discouraged and upset when you do get wailed on a lot, everyone dies, and you will too, its all part of the learning experience, and its good to be experienced
        A stratus wizard says, "Perhaps I will make a potion from your bones."
        [Success: 771, Roll: 642] A stratus wizard tries to touch you with an icy finger, but misses.
        You moan to a stratus wizard, "perhaps i'll make a potion from your mom!"

Comment

The mechanics are balanced, the playerbase isn't.

Comment

I would say there's nothing wrong with just the SM/WM balance.

A leader and two mages, with all the normal clan boosts, can take down any normal, maxed t6. With a shaman and potions, a normal t7.

The only real problems are the small playerbase and how readily people ignore SM/WM boundaries. The more direct half of the social support skills, shaman skills, can be used by high level WM via alts and friends' normally unused slots.

Comment

Back when the Horde was still around...

Skadsnarl, Rythgen, Toasty, Fierem, Belus, Weporio, etc. could take on Cedextra. I don't think at the time where socials were kings there were other t7's. Maybe Shadar at the last leg our peak. But now the socials most powerful characters are builders and maybe one leader. So as of now...with our active playerbase no, a group of socials couldn't conquer a T7. I'd say we'd need a leader with Inspire/intimidate/battlecry/various leader bonuses(lividium or skadsnarl), a really good shaman (Fierem, Kitiy), a few warriors (Rythgen/Dvea/weporio) and a mage or two to take a T7 down now. Which there aren't any of.

Comment

Originally posted by Herdias86 View Post
                a really good shaman (Fierem, Kitiy)
                Just thought I'd mention, Fierem is pure mage. >.>

I would also like to add my biased opinion. Without a good support leader, a group of socials don't have a chance, I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Catobelpas View Post
                  Without a good support leader, a group of socials don't have a chance, I'm sorry.
                  I would venture to bet that that is exactly how it was intended to be.

An unsupported, high-level, non-chim wanderer also has no chance against a good social team of as few as three characters.

Comment

Rythgen and Dvea were able to hold off Cedextra for a solid ten minutes at a throne more than once. He wasn't quite fresh T7 but he wasn't near maxed either, so take that how you will.

Inspire, Intimidate and Battlecry are ridiculous when applied to proper warriors. Stop'Em (lol who learns Stop'Em, amirite?) is what stops your squishy but superdoopersupportive leader from getting squashed. Carapaces and Spheres and Heals, oh my.

Team play wins. Problem is, we don't have teams.

Originally posted by Rythgen View Post
                    The mechanics are balanced, the playerbase isn't.

Comment

I should really get around to maxing Dvea one day. It's about damn time. I've even forgotten what level she was last I played.
                      Originally posted by Usuichii
                      Vyshka the Wyvern hisses to a round silver mirror, "Rythvea"

If you say it three times, they say they'll come after you that night.
                      Originally posted by fiendish_thingy
                      They say the last thing you notice before you die is the faint smell of cinnamon and bacon.
                      Originally posted by kaoslace
                      I find your lack of doughnuts disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rythgen View Post
                        Inspire, Intimidate and Battlecry are ridiculous when applied to proper warriors. Stop'Em (lol who learns Stop'Em, amirite?) is what stops your squishy but superdoopersupportive leader from getting squashed. Carapaces and Spheres and Heals, oh my.

Team play wins. Problem is, we don't have teams.

^^^ I'm with stupid.

http://whindanser.tripod.com

Comment

I acid anything I see.

The chance that someone's precious arena armor will get melted is usually more than enough to get them to run away.

Comment

Originally posted by TaylorMDavis View Post
                            I acid anything I see.

The chance that someone's precious arena armor will get melted is usually more than enough to get them to run away.
                            Ditto, though I am normally picky about who I Acid. You know I like you at least a little if I don't Acid you every time I see you.

I must admit having Acid is a real buzzkill for my PvP, nobody ever wants to fight me.

Comment

Originally posted by TaylorMDavis View Post
                              I acid anything I see.

I don't wear arena armor, at all. Just my fruit hat, a robe and a couple lowbie decorative items (braided leather choker, rings, etc). Why you gotta melt my stuff bro? It sucks when my backpack gets melted and all my one-of-a-kind things fall out, ripe for the looting.

GEE, THANKS ACID SPIT.

Comment

Working...
                              X