Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Petition: Lower costs on Story-point rewards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petition: Lower costs on Story-point rewards

As is, atleast 50% of our SP rewards are unattainable, uncoded, or have no GM support to get done.

The other 50% are ridiculously over-priced compared to other games in the Skotos line-up.

I suggest in the sake of generosity, greater RP application, and all around coolness that a few of the SP rewards be lowered drastically.

Current SP prices:
    Custom Race Name 250 SPs
    Additional Lair Level 500 SPs
    Start Wanderer -- Tier 2 400 SPs
    Start Wanderer -- Tier 3 800 SPs
    Room/Lair Makeovers 400 SPs
    Personalized Event 1000 SPs
    Custom Familiar or Pet 1000 SPs
    Custom Structure 2500 SPs
    Unique Ability 2500 SPs

Unless you're hardcore mentoring people into Skotos let's just assume you at best have a premium account.

50 SP's a month for premium
    Custom Race Name Five Months
    Lair Level (pretty useless) Ten Months
    Wanderer Tier 2 Eight Months
    Wanderer Tier 3 One Year Four Months
    Room/Lair Makeovers (unavailable) Eight Months
    Personalized Event (Lack of GM) One year Eight Months
    Custom Familiar or Pet (uncoded) One year Eight Months
    Custom Structure (Name only) Four Years Two Months
    Unique Ability (Name only) Four Years Two Months

Now correct me if I missed any of the rewards, but the time to get those seem like -extremely- way too much for the benefit received. Not to mention most of our rewards aren't even availible.

Perhaps we could have a similar system to TEC where we accumilate RP's for being in game and SP's could be converted. I'm just spitballing ideas but it just doesn't seem right.
    Yes
    90.91%
    No
    9.09%

The poll is expired.

I agree 100%, and will have more to comment later.
    For now, however: would you happen to know the current cost of a custom description? That and custom race name seem to be the most desirable of the available options for SP use.
    Originally posted by Rythgen
    Fiendy could witstomp you into oblivion.

<Vyshka the Wyvern grumbles: {Hecate wins the internet. Forever.}>

Comment

From my understanding, the SP costs were determined based on the amount of GM time it takes, not on the perceived benefit.

That is, the SP system was put in place so that players could get customized things for their characters but without overwhelming GMs with per person only work.

Some of the items listed clearly do not involve GMs, such as the racial name or the extra lairs, as those are automatic.

But the room descriptions, player descriptions, and ability descriptions require GM time, if only to approve.

One of my character make-overs was denied on the first revision. I am sure that has happened to other people too with item descriptions.

That being said, you would probably have to contact a skotos customer service person directly to try and negotiate the values, as I believe they are not controlled by the game's staff (I could be wrong).

And yes, I would like to see some of the things on the list implemented. I recall that Blackhand had desires for an impish pet who could sort his horde for him haha.

Comment

I personally would just prefer more alternatives to the already existing SP options. Cheaper, more automated rewards that would require less staff intervention, and thus would be more feasible for us to actually purchase. Of course, any form of expanding the list of SP rewards gets my vote. Custom descriptions and items aside, nothing else really appeals to me on the list.
        -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

I'm buying StoryPoints. No joke. PM me.

Comment

of course they should be cheaper, especially if GM's are required to put time in, merely because they would be required to check up on grendels revenge

on a similiar note, how about lowering the price it costs to play GR, i dont play any of the other games on skotos, but for 3 months premium it costs $80 for me to play one game, they could make so much more money by creating a one game account and charging $40 for 3 months premium, just look at the math

i'd say we have about a dozen paying GR members at this point(i dont know for sure because im currently not paying), and a yearly premium costs $300, now a large ammount of players only play quarterly or monthly because they just cant afford a year, like me, so we'll say 6 are yearly while another 6 are quarterly, thats $1800 a year for the yearly and $960 a year for the other 6 if they pay at least twice a year, for a total of $2740 a year, throw in an alternative $150 premium yearly accessing only one game, you'd see the playerbase double because most players dont play due to the price of playing 3 games when you only want 1, thats 24 players paying $150 a year for premium, thats $3600 a year

thats all assumptive and im sure someone else who knew the playerbase better than me *cough*usuichii*cough* could make a poll on the forum to determine the real numbers
            A stratus wizard says, "Perhaps I will make a potion from your bones."
            [Success: 771, Roll: 642] A stratus wizard tries to touch you with an icy finger, but misses.
            You moan to a stratus wizard, "perhaps i'll make a potion from your mom!"

Comment

I did not vote in the poll.

I think a few of the lower ones are fine as for cost in SPs. I think the higher end ones are too expensive for what is being bought. I think the ones yet to be fully implemented should be removed/replaced from the list until they are set-up to work.

Two things to note:
              There are other ways to get SP. The most obvious being the 'mentor' system which does work.
              There are other ways to get some of the things listed besides SP (although rare, random and not always exactly what you want). For example, Cumulus has a custom pet worm named 'Gnk' (the sound he made when he choked on it ) which was part of a random event.

I am, in no way, saying the system is perfect or does not need a change. I am merely stating that there are other facts to consider in the decision.

Cheers,
              ~Me

Morph the Minotaur, Can't touch this .
              Ebonfyre the Haunt, Wanderer extraordinaire (again )
              Cumulus the Phoenix, Co-leader of the Guardians
              Stomp the Ogre, A big, bloody stick for the Lab

Formerly: Lividium the Demagogue Mummy

Grendel's Revenge Player Site

Comment

Originally posted by Sinfire View Post
                thats all assumptive and im sure someone else who knew the playerbase better than me *cough*usuichii*cough* could make a poll on the forum to determine the real numbers

Our player base is roughly 20-30 players that play other Skotos games, 10 or less that play only GR and about 5-10 others that are trial. About 3 are moving from trial to paid. I'd have to say I completely dislike the idea of optionally paying for just one Skotos games because of this.

On paper, the idea works. People can optionally pay less to play just our game, and so we'll get more players, right? Well, yes. It is right. However, the influx of players we get from other Skotos games is likely 1.5 to 2x larger than the number of players waiting to play GR again but can't because of costs. Adding in the option to pay and play just one game is really pretty bad because it's such a tempting idea. What this optional play plan does is it builds a 'wall' between each of the games. It was the absence of this wall that allowed for players to try out other Skotos games on a whim. If people are paying less to play the specific games they want, they won't be trying other games. They will of already decided they don't like it or that it doesn't interest them, and the fact that they'd have to pay a bit more to see if they still feel that way means that, well, it's unlikely that they'll be trying it again.

Playing other Skotos games on a whim is really a great thing. Creative games like ICO, Lovecraft and Lazarus Project -- which are still growing -- need that whim. And even if you didn't like them, they're still changing! All of the Skotos games are still changing. But with that optional payment plan wall, no one would know.
                -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

I think you should petition having a GM before you petition the non-existent GMs to do something.

...and for Sinfire's idea, and Usuichii's response, you could simply have it only be an option for people who have active accounts over a certain age, as a veteran perk after a couple years. They would have had plenty of time to move back and forth and try games, if they wanted to, but would be able to wall themselves into a game if they came to the conclusion they wanted no others, or are going to remain stubborn and not try them at all anyway. It would accomplish much of Sinfire's goal, yet, in my opinion, would minimize your problem. Many of those dual-game players don't just play one other game (unless it is just TEC), and would probably pay the full price anyway after they have embedded themselves into multiple games. All alpha/beta games would be included in the one-game packages, of course.

On that track, you could also have selective packages for purchase. They could also set it up so that you could pay for a certain amount of games (2, 3, etc), and pay a scaled price for the amount, for those older subscribers who have had time to pick and choose their games.

...however, 13 dollars is not expensive for the amount of games you get. It surely is expensive for a single text mud, but it's not like it can get much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorico View Post
                    I think you should petition having a GM before you petition the non-existent GMs to do something.
                    This, above all else.

I quoted Vorico and wasn't insulting him, I feel dirty.

Comment

You should feel dirty.

Comment

I think that the things that don't require a GM's time should be cheaper. I mean, SP are suppose to be a reason to pay for a premium account...So...Would you pay an extra $17 a month for 10 months ($170 total for those of you who aren't so good at math) for an extra lair level? Most of us wouldn't even pay that much if it was something we could get right away, much less something that we have to ALSO wait 10 months for.

Now, I realize, as has been said, that there are other ways to get SP, and that you get other benefits from having a premium account. Still, the other benefits aren't huge and the other methods to get SP are a joke. True, the mentoring system does work and it is possible to get good SP that way. Except that this requires new playings to come and that they stick around. I've just stated playing again...But I don't think this has been the case for quite a while. Even if we got 1 new player a week that paid for a month of play (which I'm sure we don't) and you figure that a leader (really only leaders and maybe grumble leaders) could get maybe 1 out of 4, that is only an extra 50 a month. I might also add that this still isn't great and only works for the very few who are in a place and online at the right times to get these new players.

So, as there is no added cost to Skotos if they lower the cost of automated things (although I do still agree that some of the bigger things are also over priced) and there is, to me atleast, a bigger benefit to paying for a premium account if I can actually afford something good with SP, I say lower the costs.
                        Japes point towards Studgrob. A single point of light flashes from the middle of Studgrob's body, then starts growing larger until a great dome of bluish-white energy consumes him and his surroundings! 999999 points of damage! Studgrob roars a final time before dying

Japes says, "Ninja minotaurs in love."
                        Japes flails.

Synchar: Toastah!
                        Toasty: o.o
                        Toasty: OMG, IT'S A SYNCHAR.
                        <Toasty thwacks you with a rolled up newspaper.>

sgp NO LAG! *can't breath* *starts to turn blue*
                        StoryGuide Damocles responds, "Just calm down. Maybe it's the start of great things."

Comment

how about the option to purchase SP instantly, and as for the wall usuichii explained to me, i never thought of it that way and your probably right, they should implement a system that encourages a person to try out new games rather than just giving them the option without incentive, i vote for creating a pay per game account with access to trials to other games, after the trial give them a survey about likes/dislikes and toss them 10 SP for exploring skotos, now i just need usuichii just analyze my idea, weigh the pros and cons, and then shoot me down with his intelligent reasoning
                          A stratus wizard says, "Perhaps I will make a potion from your bones."
                          [Success: 771, Roll: 642] A stratus wizard tries to touch you with an icy finger, but misses.
                          You moan to a stratus wizard, "perhaps i'll make a potion from your mom!"

Comment

I like some of these ideas. While I still think prices should be lowered I do like the idea of having a pay per game account for say...7-9 bucks instead of the current 13. I don't expect skotos to go any lower as they still have to give some to SOE Denver (in our case, depending on what games you play it might go elsewhere) and they aren't exactly making bank at the moment.

I don't expect to see any of these things changed however. Still, one can hope!
                            Japes point towards Studgrob. A single point of light flashes from the middle of Studgrob's body, then starts growing larger until a great dome of bluish-white energy consumes him and his surroundings! 999999 points of damage! Studgrob roars a final time before dying

Japes says, "Ninja minotaurs in love."
                            Japes flails.

Synchar: Toastah!
                            Toasty: o.o
                            Toasty: OMG, IT'S A SYNCHAR.
                            <Toasty thwacks you with a rolled up newspaper.>

sgp NO LAG! *can't breath* *starts to turn blue*
                            StoryGuide Damocles responds, "Just calm down. Maybe it's the start of great things."

Comment

Working...
                            X