Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Death of role play

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of role play

While I have never been great at role play, it is one of the parts of this game I like a lot. Unfortunately, it seems to be going the way of the dinosaur.

It is now normal and expected for...
    people to play more than one character at once
    social and wanderer character to work together

It will now get you looked at funny if you..
    Kill someone who holds the rune if the person you kills needs karma
    You role play over grumble
    You talk in character at all in grumble (seems 90+ percent of talk is ooc now)

It is not fun to...
    walk up to a wanderer for role play and immediately see this...
    stun, acid, acid, acid, acid, dead

I am assuming you are referring to me with the "stun acid acid acid" crap. You are severely incorrect in assuming I don't RP. If you're "Joliee the Mummy" then I apologize but when you're standing at a deposit practically right next to where I am chasing some asshole around and there's a 50% chance you're in his clan, my character Catobelpas isn't going to pause and ask questions. Additionally, if you're in Usuichii's clan I shouldn't have to even TALK to you considering how much Cato hates that entire clan, but 99% of the time I do, and I RP. Aside from that I do NOT just come up to a random person, stun and acid them without cause.

Please gather facts before insulting someone.

edit: And as for my alliances with socials, I'll go ahead and say that Catobelpas has an alliance with Alejandro. "Boohoo it's OOC you two are friends wah wah wah". To be honest I think he's a prick and he knows it, I call him such on a daily basis. They have an alliance ICly because Alejandro builds dens for Cato's newbies, in exchange for Cato killing whomever Alejandro wants. What other builder am I supposed to ask for dens? Usuichii? Don't make me laugh. I am getting sick of having to defend myself because people want to jump to conclusions or just make crap up, or for acting like a wanderer.

Comment

Although I've been victim to the instant stun acid death routine. In Cato's defense, I yelled that I didn't want to fight and wanted to talk to him and he did talk to me and not kill me.

While I do agree RP is going to the wayside, it's also for a few reasons:

There's no lobby like TEC.

Nobody really knows the interworkings of the game and alot of questions are asked.

There's not enough intricacy in the game for extreme RP.

90% of the land will spawn uglies and trying to converse with higher levels is extremely dangerous unless you're at the shrine, a fane, or the arena.

Everybody plays alts and everyone knows whose alts are whose.

Comment

I just want to add that if there isn't a Fane going or if you don't have the rune, you don't have to yell for me not to kill you, as I likely won't.

Comment

Well you were killing my clan members...it seemed nessecary. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Herdias86 View Post
            Well you were killing my clan members...it seemed nessecary. Haha.
            Well there are some exceptions. :P Though if you meant Zahem, I only stunned him and let him leave after it wore off. I do that a lot to try and get a little RP, myself, since most people seem to run instantly. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Catobelpas View Post
              I am assuming you are referring to me with the "stun acid acid acid" crap. You are severely incorrect in assuming I don't RP. If you're "Joliee the Mummy" then I apologize but when you're standing at a deposit practically right next to where I am chasing some asshole around and there's a 50% chance you're in his clan, my character Catobelpas isn't going to pause and ask questions. Additionally, if you're in Usuichii's clan I shouldn't have to even TALK to you considering how much Cato hates that entire clan, but 99% of the time I do, and I RP. Aside from that I do NOT just come up to a random person, stun and acid them without cause.

Please gather facts before insulting someone.

edit: And as for my alliances with socials, I'll go ahead and say that Catobelpas has an alliance with Alejandro. "Boohoo it's OOC you two are friends wah wah wah". To be honest I think he's a prick and he knows it, I call him such on a daily basis. They have an alliance ICly because Alejandro builds dens for Cato's newbies, in exchange for Cato killing whomever Alejandro wants. What other builder am I supposed to ask for dens? Usuichii? Don't make me laugh. I am getting sick of having to defend myself because people want to jump to conclusions or just make crap up, or for acting like a wanderer.
              Oddly enough, I wasn't targeting Cato specifically. Amusingly, I posted this right before I headed over to that fane where I popped out and got stunned and acid-ed to death. Acid does discourage role play a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ryck View Post
                Oddly enough, I wasn't targeting Cato specifically. Amusingly, I posted this right before I headed over to that fane where I popped out and got stunned and acid-ed to death. Acid does discourage role play a good deal.
                I didn't know anyone else had Stun and Acid together. Though were you referring to 10ish minutes ago at Builders? If you're that Orc, you already know why I did it then.

Comment

I apologize for the lack of clarity that may appear in the next few paragraphs. I'm not able to devote my full attention, but wish to respond anyways.

As someone who's involved heavily with GR and roleplaying in GR, I believe that I can grasp the situation pretty well. So here it goes.

GR actually has no issue with roleplayers. Considering how GR was built, and the intent the developers had in mind for it when they were coding it, GR does extremely well to hold the level of RP it does. Truth be told, we're doing better RP-wise than we have in quite some time, though we've had better seasons. The major problem is player-character connections. GR's lack of high level immersion and atmosphere lead to 'RP anxiety' or 'IC forgetfulness'. This is a good reason for why we're more inclined to be OOC sometimes as well.

How often are you aware of your surroundings? What does the area you are currently in look like? Instead, do you build a mental image of the location from the little tile in the map at the bottom right corner of the client? What do the monsters you're talking to look like? (a bit easier if they have a custom description.) When's the last time a death caused you to be upset for longer than 10 minutes at best? All of these and many other reasons are why we're more detached from our characters than we might be in other games. Once again, it's reasons like this that make us less inclined to RP. What does make us want to RP? Other people that roleplay. Interacting with them, etc.

Roleplay isn't dead in GR. It's still going on quite strongly. It's GR itself that may be at fault for the lack of roleplay, and hopefully this can change in the future. But in the meantime, it's up to the players (once again) to solve the problem.
                  -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

It's not an RP-enforced game.

Comment

Working...
                    X