Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

SkotOS Downtown: Wednesday, 11am-1pm PT

I am scheduling a downtime for all SkotOS machines from 11am-1pm PT on Wednesday.
  • Marrach will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Lazarus (and Lovecraft) will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Ironclaw will (hopefully) be going down to tune its performance
2 of 2 < >

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

A Larger Community

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Larger Community

Originally posted by ShannonA View Post
    As has been noted, Grendel's Revenge is down. We're aware of the problem, but unfortunately it's a bad one that will require very significant rollback.

The game currently has a dozen users, which really falls before the level where it's at all sustainable, so we're taking this opportunity to readdress the game's place in the community.

We're going to wait until Monday to address things, but my hope is that we can end up with a game that generates a larger community.
    So, speaking as a player who hasn't subscribed for a few months because no one else was playing... how do you all think that we can generate a larger community again?

It seems clear that for the game to get enough paying players to be self-sustaining, several of us will have to take the lead, not just by paying to play but by actively roleplaying in-game, be that leading, building, fighting or what have you.

Whatever Skotos decides to do is out of our hands, but what can we do to revive GR? Any ideas?
    player for
    Sunfire the Phoenix,
    Edamas the Haunt
    and others...

A real Ecomony would interest a lot of players in my opinion(one that isn't stupid like the certain mining system). But, I find it hard to picture as game about monsters, having shops and shit at the same time. But if we had one, maybe I would actually level Artair more than 100 favors after 2-5 days.

Comment

Originally posted by ShannonA View Post
      ...my hope is that we can end up with a game that generates a larger community.
      I read this to mean that GR is to be removed and replaced with another game that has been in production.

Originally posted by AdamTG View Post
      So, speaking as a player who hasn't subscribed for a few months because no one else was playing... how do you all think that we can generate a larger community again?

It seems clear that for the game to get enough paying players to be self-sustaining, several of us will have to take the lead, not just by paying to play but by actively roleplaying in-game, be that leading, building, fighting or what have you.

Whatever Skotos decides to do is out of our hands, but what can we do to revive GR? Any ideas?
      I've been trying to do just this for years:
      Doubters, Followers, and Party Poopers. I am not alone in this effort, as other dedicated players have been advocating the same.
      SMARMY the GIANT

Comment

Originally posted by Artair View Post
        A real Ecomony would interest a lot of players in my opinion(one that isn't stupid like the certain mining system). But, I find it hard to picture as game about monsters, having shops and shit at the same time. But if we had one, maybe I would actually level Artair more than 100 favors after 2-5 days.
        I also don't find orderly commerce to be very monsterly. Although a 'flea market' type of thing that pops up on the weekend, run by players with skills, say, in potions, armor repair, etc would feel more acceptable. However, from what I gleen from ShannonA's post, the game is going to be sidelined, no revamping of anything.
        SMARMY the GIANT

Comment

Originally posted by Smarmy View Post
          However, from what I gleen from ShannonA's post, the game is going to be sidelined, no revamping of anything.
          I don't know if that's necessarily the case. It would be considerably more profitable if GR were to be placed in a state that renewed interest to older players, causing them to return. GR has a sizable community of people that just aren't playing.

How to make that community active is another story, however. No single update short of a complete combat revamp would be enough. Instead, I wouldn't mind seeing GR's issues discussed as a community, then a sort of action-plan put in place.

[...] which has left us unable to support it well, especially given that it's not built on our native code base.
          However, the problem with this is that, well, GR is run by volunteers, and as stated by Shannon above, it doesn't sound like it's easy to just pull help from other games. It'd require quite a bit of work that you just can't demand from a pair of GMs that aren't even paid for their hard work.

An interesting solution might be to re-open GR in a stand-alone payment state at a reduced cost (I'll state again that I dislike this as a long-term solution), and begin work on re-building GR on the "native code base" in the meantime.
          -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

I read this to mean that GR is to be removed and replaced with another game that has been in production.
            I think that we're reading it differently then. Given that something is planned to happen Monday, I honestly expect them to bring back GR with maybe a bit slower server and possibly even something along the lines of the free accounts idea that keeps getting tossed around. That sort of thing would definitely allow for a larger community, as long as there were enough paying customers to justify the investment.

I sincerely think we'd get far more than twelve paying, active players if we just enabled free accounts (as in TEC) in order to get the userbase up to a level that can sustain itself. Then people will pay in order to start a second character, or in order to play a leader, or build a lair... however they end up setting it up.

These ideas have been discussed for a long time and something similar has worked for TEC which (as far as I have heard) is still a commercially viable game.

I've been trying to do just this for years:
            Doubters, Followers, and Party Poopers. I am not alone in this effort, as other dedicated players have been advocating the same.
            And I'm certainly not saying that that effort has been misplaced. Just posing the question: Where do we go from here? How can we get there from here? And who will do what to take us there?
            player for
            Sunfire the Phoenix,
            Edamas the Haunt
            and others...

Comment

Working...
            X