Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

SkotOS Downtown: Wednesday, 11am-1pm PT

I am scheduling a downtime for all SkotOS machines from 11am-1pm PT on Wednesday.
  • Marrach will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Lazarus (and Lovecraft) will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Ironclaw will (hopefully) be going down to tune its performance
2 of 2 < >

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

GR - Moving to Free-To-Play

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GR - Moving to Free-To-Play

As noted by Shannon, Grendel's Revenge is moving to an "unsupported free to play" model, at least for the near future, as soon as the appropriate server engineering can take place.

We actually had a free-to-play system in beta test before this crash, similar to the one implemented in TEC. It had some restrictions on the "freebie" accounts, but we'll generally be loosening those restrictions up, at least as long as we're in "unsupported free to play" mode; if anything, we'll focus on new features for paid accounts instead. We may keep some limitations that wouldn't show up in ordinary play, but if you feel we left something in that shouldn't be there once everything's live, please bring it up and we'll take a look at it.

The biggest difference between free and paid accounts, as originally planned, was that free accounts would only get 1 character slot. I expect we'll bump that up to 2 slots, in line with the idea that free accounts get all benefits of regular paid ones.

The "unsupported" part of the GR's new status mainly pertains to it's place in Skotos as a company; it won't affect the GM's or their roles with the game. However, both Aldwyn and myself have had limited time to dedicate to the game; while we both still love GR, our professional and personal lives don't leave much time for it. With that in mind, I'd like to make official an unfortunate reality: for the time being, any GM support, including for spending StoryPoints, is "not guaranteed reliable"; it's not that we don't want to, it's just that we don't have time to be timely.

With that in mind, we have had plans to make more StoryPoint options available through automatic commands without needing GM support, and finding ways to let our StoryGuide staff help out where we can. We also have a few new options in mind when we do it. We can't make any promises regarding when this will see release, but it's something we'd like to make available.

To any returning players looking to take advantage of the new free-to-play status (once it's in place), here's a quickstart guide in case it's been a while:
    • You'll need either Mozilla Firefox (recommended) or Internet Explorer.
    • If you use Firefox, you'll need the Zealotry client - you'll likely want the Stable Version link.
    • If, when you click Play Now, the button doesn't seem to do anything, try adding skotos.net to your browser's list of sites that can do popups.
    • When you're ready, log in to Loot! Slay! Spoil! And Hoard!
    Wyrhtan, Grendel's Revenge GameMaster

Awesome, but you should have given me more time to taunt Smarmy.

Comment

Hola! Still waiting......

An error occurred while processing your login.

Your account with Skotos may be missing some information or
      it may have some other problem, such as one with billing.
      <Usuichii the Vampire grumbles: [Still there, or be ye a ghost?]>
      <Usuichii the Vampire grumbles: [Or worse, Zetsu?]>

Comment

You're aware it could take weeks before they get it to free right?

Comment

I am hoping that it will be relatively quickly.
          player for
          Sunfire the Phoenix,
          Edamas the Haunt
          and others...

Comment

Oh, by the way...

...I guess the large reset reset all the coding put in since the backup?

Notably for me, my character is completely busted because of broken blood oath. I'm totally not doing the unlearn cycle again.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTG View Post
              I am hoping that it will be relatively quickly.
              Hard to tell really, Wyr said that already had one being made before this happen, But Shannon made it out like they couldnt do it till they find the guy. I'm just telling him not to get his hopes up too quickly.

~ But, its nice to see someone interested in coming back, I hear Martyr is planning to come back too if it goes free. So that's two, we really should contact any old players we have on msn and aim and tell them whats going on and see if they're interested in playing some when it does come back.

Comment

As long as someone with a maxed Warmonger is around, I'll play. Wink wink Skadsnarl.

Comment

We didnt tell you did we? to get the free accounts, you have to force Dvea to come back too. Its a requirement you know

Comment

With both Aldwyn and you having limited time to dedicate to Grendel's Revenge, being as your professional and personal lives don't leave much time for it, has there been any consideration of perhaps bringing on board another GM, even for the antiquated code base?

Comment

Originally posted by Artair View Post
                      We didnt tell you did we? to get the free accounts, you have to force Dvea to come back too. Its a requirement you know
                      *eyeshifty*

You people just want free donuts.
                      Originally posted by Usuichii
                      Vyshka the Wyvern hisses to a round silver mirror, "Rythvea"

If you say it three times, they say they'll come after you that night.
                      Originally posted by fiendish_thingy
                      They say the last thing you notice before you die is the faint smell of cinnamon and bacon.
                      Originally posted by kaoslace
                      I find your lack of doughnuts disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dvea View Post
                        *eyeshifty*

You people just want free donuts.

Oh! Oh! I like the kind with cream filling, white frosting and peanuts on top! **Drools**
                        SMARMY the GIANT

Comment

*walks in with a hammer and nails a large post with the words "Don't feed the Giant" into the ground*

Comment

Yay. Free TEC and GR. What a perfect world. Once it becomes free to play, start voting at topmudsites! New people will come try it if it's free and old ones will come back.

Comment

Originally posted by TaylorMDavis View Post
                              With both Aldwyn and you having limited time to dedicate to Grendel's Revenge, being as your professional and personal lives don't leave much time for it, has there been any consideration of perhaps bringing on board another GM, even for the antiquated code base?

I would have to assume, its probably impossible due to no longer being supported. They would have to get a fresh GM. Who would have to have some knowledge of the GR coding system. Not like they can use TEC staffers for help anymore(or at least rarely). Since GR isn't profitable for skotos as a company, well, not profitable enough. Having to train a new GM, with their already limited time isn't exactly gonna be easy?

Comment

Working...
                              X