Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

SkotOS Downtown: Wednesday, 11am-1pm PT

I am scheduling a downtime for all SkotOS machines from 11am-1pm PT on Wednesday.
  • Marrach will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Lazarus (and Lovecraft) will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Ironclaw will (hopefully) be going down to tune its performance
2 of 2 < >

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Problem with older characters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with older characters

It is interesting to come back to GR and look at what changes have been made. Unfortunately, some changes have made several of my old characters much weaker. It lowers the urge to return knowing I would probably have to re-roll in order to make a viable character

Originally posted by ryck View Post
    It is interesting to come back to GR and look at what changes have been made. Unfortunately, some changes have made several of my old characters much weaker. It lowers the urge to return knowing I would probably have to re-roll in order to make a viable character

Are you talking about the fixes that were made to enchanted items?

As I understand it, they were overly powerful, and now they're as they should be. However, the staff introduced grace tokens shortly after. You can use them to respec yourself, if any massive changes disrupted your character's build.
    -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Wish I would've known about those gracetokens before I deleted my maxed out builder! Tehe.

Comment

I was more referring to pure versus mixed builds.

Example one: Ryck
        When I first made Ryck waaayyyy back in the day there was little incentive to be a pure social mage. Now, with true sight and various changes to defense, Ryck in comparison is very very inaccurate. He can not even hit his own spawns. The original idea was to use stun, which vastly lowers the targets agility would help. Combine the fact that the mage defense was changed to energy and stun being only able to be used approached, it less viable.

Example two: my archer (forget the name off the top of my head)
        When I first made this character, there was zero reasons to be a pure warrior archer since koncentrate did not affect the ranged attack and shield master was useless to an archer. My original idea was to stack agility to make my accuracy competitive with race, leader, class, and full armor set of agility boosts. Now kon affects archers and you can not longer stack armor. Since there is no way to change the class of a character he would have be remade if I wanted him to be viable.

Comment

Originally posted by ryck View Post
          I was more referring to pure versus mixed builds.

Example one: Ryck
          When I first made Ryck waaayyyy back in the day there was little incentive to be a pure social mage. Now, with true sight and various changes to defense, Ryck in comparison is very very inaccurate. He can not even hit his own spawns. The original idea was to use stun, which vastly lowers the targets agility would help. Combine the fact that the mage defense was changed to energy and stun being only able to be used approached, it less viable.

Example two: my archer (forget the name off the top of my head)
          When I first made this character, there was zero reasons to be a pure warrior archer since koncentrate did not affect the ranged attack and shield master was useless to an archer. My original idea was to stack agility to make my accuracy competitive with race, leader, class, and full armor set of agility boosts. Now kon affects archers and you can not longer stack armor. Since there is no way to change the class of a character he would have be remade if I wanted him to be viable.
          Couple of thoughts:

A.) If memory serves Ryck was shaman/magical in that order, yes? If so, a spiritualist should fix your accuracy enough to hunt. Failing that, battle cry assuredly will. That should enable you to hunt, and worse case scenario, you could milk favor from the shamanistic skills. Shaman mage is still a powerful build, and in a new uthgol, it's one that will be rarer. You've more survivability than a mage, and enhanced utility, whereas you've less accruacy. Shadar experimented with a /shaman with regen and was nearly unkillable. You could easily do that while providing healing.

B.) On the warrior--unless you're a plague terror--which is impossible as you've missile, you should be fine. Without shield mastery and Kon, I doubt you've your seven skills. You'd still have access to every single pure skill and warrior subclasses, at least for humanoids and MOST undead-- don't have pointless penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by Lasombra View Post
            Shadar experimented with a /shaman with regen and was nearly unkillable. You could easily do that while providing healing.
            It sure was fun. If I recall correctly, Rythgen could (couldn't maybe?) kill that Shaman, though it took a while.

You have to remember, GR is not going to get a lot of attention (just look at the updates for the past few years) and that attention will be even less now.

Best to do is make do with the mechanics in place. Make it work and if things get better, work for change.
            Vote GR
            Vote GR
            Originally posted by A Dwarf Engineer
            Crossbows were good and fine, but nowadays, a gun is better - and if a gun is good, then an automated self-aiming gyro-mounted gun turret with a cyclic grenade feeder and napalm cannister is even better yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Redric View Post
              It sure was fun. If I recall correctly, Rythgen could (couldn't maybe?) kill that Shaman, though it took a while..
              t6 maxed accuracy Laso had a hard time hitting him. And even when she did, that damn troll and sawbones resistances destroyed everything but the Lance's damage.

Comment

He wasn't a saw-bones though. Empath for the increased regen rate. Though saw-bones would have been fun too.
                Vote GR
                Vote GR
                Crossbows were good and fine, but nowadays, a gun is better - and if a gun is good, then an automated self-aiming gyro-mounted gun turret with a cyclic grenade feeder and napalm cannister is even better yet!

Comment

You have to remember, GR is not going to get a lot of attention (just look at the updates for the past few years) and that attention will be even less now.
                  Originally posted by Wyrhtan
                  The "unsupported" part of the GR's new status mainly pertains to it's place in Skotos as a company[...]
                  Saying it's "not going to get a lot of attention" isn't accurate.

Originally posted by Wyrhtan
                  However, both Aldwyn and myself have had limited time to dedicate to the game; while we both still love GR, our professional and personal lives don't leave much time for it.
                  Our "professional and personal lives" still affect us, but if our ability to devote ourselves to Grendel's Revenge has changed at all, it's that we've been bolstered.

Grendel's Revenge is on its way to free accounts, and looking good. The last thing we need to do is spread bad rumors *newspaper roll to the nose*.
                  Grendel's Revenge StoryGuide

Comment

That all limits down to how freaking broken Fortify+Regen+Fort armor was at the time, the only thing that got changed was the fort armor. Exorn was even more annoying to kill when Redric tossed him that armor and I fortify'd him. 100k hp at unmaxed fort =broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Pence View Post
                      Stuff got said.
                      Perhaps, but sweeping game changes seem more out of sight. I've always been of the mind that we should make do with the mechanics we have (focus on fun) and if/when changes happen, great.
                      Vote GR
                      Vote GR

Comment

Perhaps, but sweeping game changes seem more out of sight. I've always been of the mind that we should make do with the mechanics we have (focus on fun) and if/when changes happen, great.

This is what I've always liked about GR in comparison to other Skotos games; GR is a game you can play by yourself fine enough, but it completely changes with a large playerbase. We got to 30+ players on at a time (20+ average) for months a few summers back, from players alone. No staff were around/available at the time.

Once freebies happen, I fail to see why this shouldn't be easy to obtain.
                        -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Working...
                        X