Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag

I'm actually slightly surprised no one's made a post on this yet, so I'm going to take a bit of initiative here and make one.

Since GR went free, all the new activity has been causing a good deal of lag. That kind of sucks, but I suppose it's like getting sick after eating too much rainbow sherbert. On one hand you're sick, but on the other hand, you just ate a bunch of rainbow sherbert. Rainbow sherbert is delicious. Having so much going on in GR is equally delicious.

Here are some things I think cause lag, and what you can do to limit it:
    • Interacting with huge piles of anything
      The Lab has a few vaults filled with armor which I trade with, arm assistants with, or use with golems. There are a lot of items inside of these vaults, and I've noticed that it seems to visibly lag the game when I do too much screwing around with them. This is the same for jam-packed WM dens and lair entranced as well.

However, most of the lag generated from this is just in your client (read below.)

• Spawning humans in your marathon across Uthgol
      There's not too much you can do with this one since not everyone has teleport and can be as great as us mages, but it should go without saying that 20-30 group spawns moving across Uthgol would probably generate a bit of lag.

• Your client

This is actually the main reason I made the post. A ton of the lag we experience is actually from our client. Firefox, loaded with add-ons, and running Zealotry will maybe lag more than, say, Alice.

I've also noticed if you play all-day long on Zealotry, that your backlog of text seems to lag the client as well. Refresh Zealotry if you're getting lag, and it might help.

Please note, all of this is just from my own testing and assumptions. If anyone else has a few other big sources of lag they want to add, or some tips for limiting it, go ahead and post.
    -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Originally posted by Usuichii View Post
    I've also noticed if you play all-day long on Zealotry, that your backlog of text seems to lag the client as well. Refresh Zealotry if you're getting lag, and it might help.
    This is a big one.

As for actual game changes that could help: the arena needs to be looked into. The amount of lag it causes is extraordinary. The 10% of the time it makes up makes the game seem so much laggier to me.

Comment

As far as items around the gameworld, I had a GM confirm that constantly "look"ing at an area with 100's of items such as a WM den or a trapdoor in a personal room or what have you DOES lag the game significantly. I had been going around the gameworld and discarding random junk and burying holes. I was told to not bother because it would never really effect the game's lag.

Things I think lag the game and could do without:

The weather system (Do we really need that thunderstorm?)

The forest/fauna system (Obviously keep the plants that shaman need)

Grunt echo's. This one is huge for any of the grunt army folks. One grunt screams Aaaieee! like six times when uglies spawn. Multiply that by 13 for me and about 25 for grelch/zetsu and you get four pages of Rawr echo's from grunts. They REALLY need to be toned down.

Loot around the gameworld. Have it decay after a long long time perhaps? I feel like keeping track of all those random numbers in some way would lag the game.

Comment

I get lag spikes before health ticks. I don't know how much of it has to do with me using a dot or just the health tick system in general. Usually I lock up for about 5 seconds or so, health tick, everything goes back to normal until the next one.
        You can't stand my Gouf.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinn View Post
          I get lag spikes before health ticks. I don't know how much of it has to do with me using a dot or just the health tick system in general. Usually I lock up for about 5 seconds or so, health tick, everything goes back to normal until the next one.
          That doesn't sound normal in the least. Sounds like it's having trouble adjusting the health bar on the client, maybe?

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Originally posted by Usuichii View Post
            Sounds like it's having trouble adjusting the health bar on the client, maybe?
            My health is usually at full and the timer bar isn't effected. Its always the human HP that is the issue.
            You can't stand my Gouf.

Comment

Hopefully next weeks downtime will fix our problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinn View Post
                My health is usually at full and the timer bar isn't effected. Its always the human HP that is the issue.
                Wait, so when the human recovers HP, you lag? What?

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

When my dots tick during the health ticks in the game. I'll get ten seconds or so of input not going through then get flooded with a ton of human attacks and all of the burns popping up at once. Hasn't happened in a long time, then over the last few weeks its been getting worse and worse.
                  You can't stand my Gouf.

Comment

What client do you run on, what version is it, and if Zealotry, what version is zealotry? Also, what OS do you run on?

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Are they making it purposely more laggy so that we psyschologically think the maintenance tommorrow is amazing?

Comment

Originally posted by Herdias86 View Post
                        Are they making it purposely more laggy so that we psyschologically think the maintenance tommorrow is amazing?
                        I am honestly starting to suspect this.

Over the past few days, I've encountered some of the worst lag I can ever recall experiencing, and often when there's only 2 or 3 people online.
                        Originally posted by Rythgen
                        Fiendy could witstomp you into oblivion.

<Vyshka the Wyvern grumbles: {Hecate wins the internet. Forever.}>

Comment

Worked all day. How's the lag post-maintenance?

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

I had no lag issues afterwards, but there were few people online.
                            Pay no attention that orc shaped bush.

Comment

grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/images/eyeball.png

Throw this in your spam filter and it'll disable ONLY the eyeballs.

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Working...
                              X