Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Curse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curse

Looking over the curse ability, discovered by Blackhand, got me thinking of how an ability like this could be implemented. Here's what I've come up with so far.

Cursing creatures:
    • Curse of Thumbs - Cursed creature will randomly unwield weapons and/or shields, with a slight roundtime.
    • Curse of Clumsiness - Cursed creature has a chance to fall down, with a slight roundtime, when moving (flying, floating, walking, approaching, sneaking, dancing, etc.)
    • Curse of Silence - Cursed creature can't communicate (talking, grumbling, yelling, mentoring, whispering, etc.). More of a PvP skill.
    • Curse of Exhaustion - Cursed creature has their stats lowered (similar to drain life).
    • Curse of Weakness - Cursed creature does reduced damage.
    • Curse of Empathy - Cursed creature receives back a % of the damage they inflict.
    • Cursed of Frailty - Cursed creature receives reduced healing and regeneration.

Cursing items:
    Accepting an item from another monster counts as picking it up.
    • Curse of Poverty - Cursed item permanently removes resources from the creature who picks it up.
    • Curse of Rust - Cursed item randomly does damage to equipment the creature is wearing or carrying, when they pick up the cursed item.
    • Curse of Exhaustion - Creature has their stats lowered (similar to drain life) when they pick up the cursed item.
    • Cursed of Frailty - Creature receives reduced healing and regeneration when they pick up the cursed item.
    • Curse of Displacement - Creature is teleported to a random location when they pick up the cursed item.
    • Curse of Slumber - Creature is put to sleep when they pick up the cursed item. The sleep would be a long roundtime where the victim could not perform any actions, communicate, etc.
    • Curse of Volatility - Item explodes when picked up, destroying the item and dealing damage to the creature who picked it up.

Implementation
    There are two ways to go about using such a variety of curses:
    1. Curses are random, you start with a few at rank 1, and as you level you get more added to the pool. At low levels 1 random curse will affect a target, with higher levels having more than 1 curse affecting your target.
    2. Curses are chosen. You start with 1 curse at rank 1, with more being added in as you level. You can view your list of curses similarly to traps or potions, and pick which one to cast when using it. (i.e. exhaust <target>, silence <target> and so on).

Personally I think the second option would be best, as it allows for more strategery when cursing enemies or items.
    Other details of the ability:
    • Ranking up the curse ability would help improve success roll, lengthen duration, lower cooldown, unlock new curses, and could possibly also allow you to place multiple curses on a target (See below).
    • Defense against curses could be based on authority or energy or even strength, and improved by knowing the curse skill. Stop'em could be used to take a curse intended towards your ward.
    • Cure could be used to reduce the duration of or remove curse effects from creatures. A remove curse command could be implemented for monsters with the curse ability to remove curses from items.
    • Searching an item can reveal a curse on an item based on authority and ranks in the curse ability, similar to how traps work.
    • Witch doctors should receive curse for half off.
    • As for cursed items, to prevent abuse, they should not be toss or throwable, they could be offered and accepted, or dropped and picked up. Items could not be cursed in the shrine, and any item that leaves possession of the owner in the shrine area would automatically lose it's curse(s).

Ironing out the kinks
    A few more things to consider:
    • Whether or not curses should stack on creatures and/or items.
    • Whether or not curse would be a pure shaman skill.
    • Whether or not multiple curses could be used on a single target, or whether the new curse simply overrides the old one.
    • Whether or not to require a monster be holding an item in order to curse it.
    Vote for GR!
    El. Psy. Congroo.
    Nobody suspects the butterfly...

Thoughts
    1) awesome!
    2) definately should be pure shaman only since this could be quite powerful and we need something to really make us want to be pure shaman
    3) probably should only have one curse at a time on someone/item so it isnt too powerful

Comment

Originally posted by kaoslace View Post
      Looking over the curse
      • Ranking up the curse ability would help improve success roll, lengthen duration, lower cooldown, unlock new curses, and could possibly also allow you to place multiple curses on a target (See below).
      I am not sure why investing in curse would lower the cool down when no other ability works that way.

Comment

All of this sounds very cool. I like the idea of choosing which curse to cast, and learning more curses as you rank the skill similar to Mixer. I believe this skill should be pure Shaman only. Pure shaman don't get enough goodies, Wards sucks and Sacrifice is just "all right".
        <Zetsu the Vampire grumbles: [ GR's like meth... you try it once and for the next 10 years you're still hooked to it no matter how bad it gets ]>

Comment

Well the cooldown thing was in relation to whether you could place multiple curses at once.

A higher cooldown on the curse ability would balance out being able to use multiple curses, with higher ranks having access to more possible curses stacking via a shorter cooldown.

If the limit were one curse per target, the whole cooldown issue would be moot, and a standard cooldown without having to worry about changing it with ranks would be sufficient.

As for other abilities; haste, wards, mine, float, and fly work that way don't they?
          Vote for GR!
          El. Psy. Congroo.

Comment

I think that whether or not the Curses could be stackable should depend on how strong the effects are, because some of these are pretty good. I would gladly sacrifice the ability to multi-curse someone as long as the effects were strong at maxed ranks for one curse.

In regards to the cooldown, there wouldn't be much point in having a high cooldown (similar to that of mine, fly, haste, ect) for multiple curses, unless the effects of the first curse lasts longer than the cooldown recharge. Even so though, in a pvp situation (or even pve) more than one Curse probably won't be cast if the roundtime is high like any of the previously mentioned abilities.

When it comes down to it, I would much rather be limited to one strong Curse at maxed rank with a reasonable roundtime than the ability to multi Curse someone with mediocre strength and the same roundtime, because we all know that if multi Curse is an option, the effects would be awful.
            <Zetsu the Vampire grumbles: [ GR's like meth... you try it once and for the next 10 years you're still hooked to it no matter how bad it gets ]>

Comment

Originally posted by kaoslace View Post
              As for other abilities; haste, wards, mine, float, and fly work that way don't they?
              Haste's cooldown increases, Wards and Mine shouldn't change to my knowledge, Float and Fly's duration (and cooldown) increases. No decreasing cooldown's to my knowledge.

About the cooldown and multiple curses though, what if you could control whether or not you wanted multiple weaker curses, or stronger single curses? A toggle similar to channel, perhaps.
              -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

There are skills that have decreasing periods before use/reuse. Duelist and taskmaster are examples.

Comment

Also regenerate and illusion.

Comment

For great prosperity!
                    Vote for GR!
                    El. Psy. Congroo.

Comment

Working...
                    X