Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

SkotOS Downtown: Wednesday, 11am-1pm PT

I am scheduling a downtime for all SkotOS machines from 11am-1pm PT on Wednesday.
  • Marrach will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Lazarus (and Lovecraft) will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Ironclaw will (hopefully) be going down to tune its performance
2 of 2 < >

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

A study in leadership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A study in leadership

A study in leadership
    By Kikaro the Troll

Foreword-

Hello Uthgolians! It's me, your loveable slightly overweight and overly awesome troll friend Kikaro! I've got way too much time on my hands now that it takes me several minutes to move anywhere outside the lair so I wrote this book for you...cause I'm just that awesome! This book is a guide on how to lead people as well if not more better than I already lead peoples. Ask my grunts! They'll tell you how awesomely awesome I am and how gud a job I do at doing my job.

Chapter 1: Being a leader-
    Leading people isn't for the faint of heart. It's REALLY boring and often times under appreciated. No one ever appreciates what we do. They just think we sit in the lair and shout random obscenities to increase productivity and morale. WRONG! There's lots of behind the scenes stuff. Like umm...eating lots of pie to get bigger. Or umm...ummm...lifting weights to make my arms look bigger. Yay! Also, voice lessons are really expensive and we need to perfect our wonderful singing voices for shouts of victory. Anyways...it's tough! So give us a hug or thank us sometime.

Leaders need to be strong and authoritative. We never really focus on being agile because we've got our fodder I mean...minions to protect us. And being a leader is exhausting...so we're not very energetic either.

Comment

Chapter 2: Are you pure or are you not?-
      There's several types of leaders. There's pure leaders. Then there's hybrid leaders. Pure leaders tend to lead entire clans. They often times have more minions and can learn fun stuff hybrid leaders can't. Pure leaders can leader things like Bureaucracy, Warmonger, Spirituality, and Dungeonmaster. These skills are really super and your minions need them. So if you're a pure leader, expect to learn them. Or else people will think you're smelly and don't like to enjoy things. I'll go over them later.

Hybrid leaders can learn an assortment of other skills depending on what they decide to be! I personally am a builder. Which is pretty swell. Later on, I'll go over some possible skill combinations that might peak the interests of readers abound! The biggest downfall to being a hybrid leader is that you aren't as strong or authoritative as a pure leader would be. Also, you have bad karma for being indecisive so you need more of it to learn new skills.

There are several types of leaders:
      • Tyrant- Terrorizing your minions is effective only if you rule by fear. Minions fight better afraid that they'll displease you. Minions are also more authoritative, learning how to boss people around from their master.
        [Tyrants gain an increase in size.]
      • Alpha- An alpha wants to be the best. He has to be. He always needs to be the center of attention.
        [Supposedly Alphas get a % bonus based on their grumble size though I don't think anyone has tested it. Their minions get a bonus to defense. They have a penalty to energy.]
      • Chieftain-The Chieftain leads from the front, exhorting more from their grunts than others might be able to. Their Minions benefit from this example, able to lead more grunts than otherwise, but all this work takes its toll on the poor grunts, and they aren't as loyal as elsewhere.
        [Chieftains minions get an extra grunt. The grunts have decreased morale and may run away more than normal.]
      • Matriarch-A matriarch is a supreme manager, able to juggle the demands of their Minions, their grunts, and their own personal desires. Part of being a good manager is taking care of those below you, and grunts are unusually loyal to Matriarchs. Their efficiency work practices, and their expertise at putting management systems in place allows them to put more grunts to work. The grunts know they are on to a good thing though, and tend to be a little less hard working than they might be for stricter leaders.
        [Matriarch have higher morale from their grunts. They get an extra grunt. Their grunts however have weaker strength and agility.]
      • Diplomat-Diplomat's understand that we're all Grendel's children. There's no petty caste rivalries when a diplomat is present. This allows them to invite monsters of different castes than their own into the clan.
      • Despot- Only an undead can be a despot. They draw upon the power of shadow to reanimate the dead.
        [Despots and their minions receive a large bonus to their hit points in the lair. They may also purchase Raise Dead for half the normal ammount of karma.]
      • Sovereign- Only chimera leaders can be sovereigns. The sovereign is a great delegator, lending their Authority to their Minions with ease, and thereby building their Morale from the ground up. Delegation is a useful component of good management practice, enabling them and their Minions to lead larger numbers of grunts than normal.
        [Sovereign's and their minions receive a bonus to authority. Sovereigns and their minions can command an additional grunt.]
      Last edited by Kikaro; 03-29-2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Chapter 3: So you want to learn something?-
        Learning new things is fun! Last week I learned how to eat a whole pumpkin pie without chewing. But that's not what this book is about so I'll move on.
        Here's a list of leader type skills that may interest you:
        Help Files for leader special abilities.
        Pure Only Skills-
        • Bureaucracy- Do you want to be the leader of a clan? Are you the kind of monster who is into politics? Enjoyed playing king of the hill as a monster cub? This is the skill for you! Bureaucracy is a skill revolving around the leadership of other leaders. What fun! But how? Well you see, by running an organized well oiled machine.
          [Bureaucracy is a pure leaders bread and butter. It increases the size of a clan, it will increase the size of the lair, it gives you and your leader minions more strength and authority, defenses, and offenses. It's the catch all be all skill for leaders to have.]
        • Warmonger- Do you dream of blood and carnage? Does putting babies on spikes make you giddy? Want to wage war on anything you can? Ho Hum here's a skill for you Mr. Destruction.
          Warmonger is the pure leaders ability to help out warriors. Monsters only benefit from this if they have Warrior as their first role. Warmonger increases the maximum hit points, agility, strength, to-hit, and defenses of all first role warriors under you.
        • Dungeon Master- Do you get angry when someone out thinks your imagination? Do you own too many sets of dice? Are you living in your mummy's basement? Do you devise ways to make your lair super duper awesome? Dungeon master. The skill for you!
          Dungeon Master increases the maximum integrity of your lair. It also decreases the costs of building any structure a builder under your tutelege builds. Any monster with Builder as their first role will have their agility and energy as well as defenses and offenses increased.
        • Spirituality-Praise be to Grendel. And all of his Grendel-ness. You've attuned yourself to your inner monster and find yourself preaching to the masses. Some would even say your a spiritualist.
          Spirituality is the leader ability that helps first role Shaman's out. It increases their energy and authority as well as to-hit and defenses. Spirituality is also the only other leader skill that benefits you besides bureaucracy. Spirituality greatly increases your health regen.

Availible to all leaders-
        • Battlecry- Want to shout at people for no reason? Or even better yet...for a reason? Here's the skill for you. With a proper battlecry, you can rally your allies to take down even the biggest of dragons or the baddest of uglies.
          [Battlecry increases the to-hit of your own attacks as well as any clan or allied members within range. The range of the SHOUT and the bonus to to-hit greatly increase with stats and ranks. A successful intimidate can cancel out a battlecry. So be wary of people raking their claws on the ground.]
        • Grunt Mastery- Ho Ho Hum! My favorite skill of all! Do you get lonely? Can't find enough people for Uthgol Hold 'em? Just want to be surronded by smelly little grunts? This skill is for you! A master of the grunts can rally grunts to come to your aid anywhere. These grunts are MUCH MUCH stronger than any old grunt. You've trained 'em to be battle hardened. It's a grunt ARMY!!
          [Grunt Mastery increases the stats, to-hit, defense, and hp of normal grunts. In addition, you can SUMMON a grunt or a warrior anywhere. Adding more ranks to GM will increase their bonuses, increase the ammount of grunts you can have, and increase their HP.
        • Inspire- Were you in Monster High's debate team? Do you give gud speeches that make people want to do stuff that seems impossible? Have you words of inspiration? Inspire folks!
          Inspire increases the to-hit of all DIRECT minions as long as you are in combat. It will not work for the minions of minions nor will it work if you aren't in combat. Although battlecry and intimidate count as combat. Inspire will effect grunts as they happen to be your direct minions. It's a very powerful skill although it's uses are very limited.
        • Mentor- Want to take new monsterlings under your wing? Are you just an all around nice guy? Do you like to talk exclusively to young monsters? Do you want all of your minions to be able to reincarnate to each other when they die? That's what mentor is for!
          Mentor gives a favor bonus to all minions under level 19.9. The bonus is increased if the mentor is in the same square as the mentoree. Continued favor gain after 19.9 still gets a bonus so suggest your minions save up favors for a while to get the bonus. Mentor also increases the passive favor gain you get for being a leader up to a max of 2.7 favors a tick. This is all determined by your stats and ranks in mentor. Mentors also get a 10% bonus of all favor gained by minions who are still under 19.9 and a tithing bonus of all resources looted. Minions of a mentor can reincarnate to any allied monster who is also under a mentor. (Does not have to be the same mentor.) Mentors also have access to the mentor channel to communicate with newbies and other mentors.
        • Boss Monster-When you're fighting uglies do you hear epic music playing in your head? Do you hear the term "Yer da boss!" quite often at dinner parties? Have people told you you're gaining weight? Don't listen to them. Pie is delicious. Yep. You're a boss monster alright. The best kind of monster. I don't care if I'm fat! I'm bigger than all of you and you can't stop me from eating this...wait...oh right...this isn't about me...anyways! Moving on...
          Boss Monster is a two-sided coin. In the lair it makes you nigh unstoppable. You can move freely and you'll have a huge to-hit bonus. Outside of the lair it makes you extremely slow. (I believe at max my round time to move is 17 seconds.) And you'll have a large to-hit penalty. Boss monster increases hit points to about 1.5 times your original hp. You will gain a size increase every 200 levels until you max at gigantic. A plus side to the size increase is that intimidate is based on size. So it's harder to intimidate someone whose huge when you yourself are small.
        • Hoarding-Are you a greedy little punk who doesn't like to share? Do you say wierd things like "Gold gold...it's mine...gold!"? Even if you don't...do you just want everyone to have lots of resources? Then hoard it all friend. Cause that's what this is for!
          Hoarding increases the ammount of resources you and your minions can carry. It also supposedly increases the cap on clan resources as well but I'm not sure if that's true. Just seems like it would according to helpfile. Hoarding also makes you demand more resources from your master if you have one. But it's pretty negligible.
        • Intimidate- Are you scary? Do you like to push people around and say "Hey! Dis is my house!"? If you're a bully this skill is for you.
          Intimidate is a defensive skill. It can be extremely effective or extremely not. If successful it descreases the to-hit of any enemy in the area by quite a substantial ammount. Intimidate is based on size, strength, authority, ranks, infamy, and number of enemies present. Intimidate will null out a battlecry. Very useful when fighting other leaders or well-trained uglies.

Comment

Chapter 4: Earning Grendel's Favor-
          So... now you know all about the different types of leaders and all the skills that are leadery. Well Kikaro, how do I go forth with this knowledge and please Grendel? I'll tell you! Hold your horses. I never really understood that term...how do you hold a horse? They're quite big. And why would you? I digress.

Almost all of your favor if you're a pure leader will come from mentoring new folks and standing around looking pretty. Ask Itus. He'll tell you. Grendel really likes when you bring new monsters into your clan and teach them how to be bad little monsters.
          [As I said earlier, mentor gives a bonus to passive favor gain as well as you get 10% of all of your newling monsters favor gain. It's not alot but it does add up. Most of your favor will be from idling for the few favors every 15 minutes.]

For you hybrid leaders out there, you could still use mentor, but since you're a hybrid you have many more options availible to you. If you're a shaman as well. I suggest healing for favor. Cure works as well but only if the monster is poisoned. If you're a warrior, go kill stuff. It's your job. The same goes for mages. They're like warriors with lightning bolts and bad breath. If you're a builder like me, I suggest mining. But traps and building structures and stuff does work as well.

For both pure and hybrid, you should pack with real fighters and healers in your clan. Just battlecrying and intimidating uglies will make Grendel like you as the other folks handle your light work. Try it out.

[Warning: Grunts are NOT part of the pack. While they can raise the infamy of the room and produce better uglies, if they land the blow the pack won't get credit for the kill. So if you're trying to level...try one or two grunts instead of eleven or twelve.]
          Last edited by Kikaro; 03-30-2013, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Chapter 5: Leader Builds

I'm not going to discuss pure leaders. They're self-explanitory and each role has it's purpose. Plus, I don't really know much about pure leaders. So there! Don't force me to!
            • Tyrant/warrior- This is a build I like to call boulder throwing ogre of doom. Since being a tyrant makes you bigger you can lift giant boulders and throw them at people. How fun! [Example of this would be Battlecry, Intimidate, Evasion, Boulder Throw, Fortitude, Blood Oath, Grunt mastery/Hide (depending on if you want an army or to be sneaky.]
            • Despot/Anything- This is the undead grunt army of doom. Not only can you summon powerful grunts. But you can bring them back to life too! [Example: Grunt Mastery, Raise, Inspire, Battlecry, Tooth and Nail, Mist, Intimidate]
            • Matriarch/builder- This is the super duper I wanna build faster than I can say build this build. [Example: Grunt mastery, Task Master, Basic Structures, Advanced Structures, Mining, Demolitions, Golem Assembly]
            • Leader/Shaman- This is a battle shaman. He can rally troops and protect them all the same. [Example: Battlecry, Intimidate, Heal, Cure, Carapace, Sphere of protection, Fortify]

Comment

Chapter 6: Tactics

So now that you have all the knowledge I've given you. It's time to apply it. I mentioned earlier that packing was an excellent way to gain favor. But it's also a great way to make sure your clan members don't die too!

Combat:
              First things first...always keep your friends rallied. Albeit with a battle cry or inspiring presences...always make sure they're rallied. If they can't hit the baddies then the baddies will still be alive and trying to kill you.

Secondly...Intimidate your foes! Make them cower beneath you like the little punks they are. Rake your claws against the ground and scare the poop out of them. Not literally...that'd make the whole countryside stink. Also, if you see that someone is shouting cries of battle or you just happen to notice that your foes are hitting you way to easily. It's probably because one of them read my book and is doing what I taught you. Intimidate them to rid them of their battle cries benefits.

Thirdly...if you have a grunt army... have them guard you. Your little warriors can guard pretty well. And the best defense is not letting baddies get close enough to hit you.

Lastly...Don't die. EVER.

Non-combat: If you're Mr. Boss Man of the clan...you more than likely don't have many combat skills if any at all. Not to worry. Sit down at the entrance of your lair. Sip some tea and take a load off. From here you can battlecry and it'll travel pretty far. Also, it lets your little mentoree's gain a better benefit from you mentoring them.

Building: Always have your grunts mining or building something. It's their job and Grendel likes it. When you get super strong like me you build in a jiffy. So keep on top of them or if you can't...just make them mine and forget about them til you can be there to boss them around.
              Last edited by Kikaro; 03-29-2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Chapter 7: Conclusion

So boys and ghouls...that's how you lead things! Don't mess it up or I'll come hit you with my book and make you read it again.

I'd like to thank pie. It's always been there for me when I needed it most and without it I'd still be a tiny little miniscule monster.

I'd like to thank Usuichii for being weird and unpleasent. It drove me to be a better monster so I could squash his stoopid face.

I'd like to thank Rythgen and Dvea and Dirk for being super scary at killing stuff and making me want to cheer them on while they do it.

I'd like to thank Itus for finding me a place away from that wierd blue lab made out of Grendel knows what. I enjoy the bricks and stone of my lair.

I'd like to thank Iyzabel and Nikko for always trying their hardest to keep me alive even though sometimes they fail miserably and we laugh about it later.

And last but not least....I'd like to thank myself. Cause honestly...how can I be THIS awesome? Like seriously...no one could be as awesome as me. NO ONE. Except maybe Pie. Pie's a close runner up on the awesome scale.

Comment

Working...
                X