Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
2 of 2 < >

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Pause before Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pause before Attack

I wonder if it is possible to program the AIs to pause when they attack players. Currently it goes this way. You get an announcement that uglies are near..if you decide to wait, then the uglies enter, approach, and hit you in under an instant. And no way to counteract it or hit first, for you will always be a slower typer then the AI. In a way you your real health is the health that's left after the first uglies attack in average. (mine is 40-50, out of 264) And even if your health is high, armor's swell, and agility great, you are usually being hit by 6-8 uglies instantly. 6-8 hits without a chance of counteracting them is rather ...awkward.

But if uglies would have a random timer in them, which prohibits them from using the offensive attack immediately, then it would cut back the lag frustration and reduce the whole screen freeze and then insta death or near death.

It's a more or less relative copy of my @request. Tell me what do you think folks...
    I must not lag. Lag is the game-killer. Lag is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my lag. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the lag has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

<Toasty the Gryphon grumbles: [ I had a visual of Lurekus as, like .. a mummified Mr. Clean.. ]>

Sounds good.

Ciciro
    http://www.crush007.com/love.cgi?id=1127958542pnx
    http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/uthgolsarchives

Comment

I don't think anyone out there is going to argue with you
      For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Comment

Nine times out of ten I'll get the first hit in a battle.

Comment

Some of this might have to do with the lag tonight, but all this happened right after I noticed something approaching. I was dead, before I even saw the uglies. So, I agree....a little delay before they attack would be nice. And they must have attacked all at the same time, cause according to this, I died on the first hit.

You notice something approaching
          A dirty-looking rogue begins to move toward you.
          A dizzying mentalist walks away down a moderate slope to a subalpine glade, covered in tundra, to the south.
          A lay druid stops wielding a supreme iron fist.
          A lay druid stops wielding a great thatched shield.
          A lay druid spins a protective carapace around a lay druid!
          A clumsy rogue begins to move toward you.
          A chanting mentalist walks away down a moderate slope to a subalpine glade, covered in tundra, to the south.
          A vicious human rogue stops wielding a supreme iron fist.
          A vicious human rogue wields a great iron fist.
          A vicious human rogue begins to move toward you.
          A dizzying mentalist is moving away from you nearby to the south.
          A chanting mentalist is moving away from you nearby to the south.
          A vicious human rogue stops next to you.
          A clumsy rogue stops next to you.
          A clumsy rogue exclaims, "You're in for it now!"
          A dirty-looking rogue stops next to you.
          [Success: 484, Roll: 198] A thick chain of lightning streaks in from the south, narrowly missing you.
          [Success: 478, Roll: 673] A dirty-looking rogue krushes you with her iron fist! 28 points of damage! You fall, kicking and screaming, into the oblivion of Grendel's embrace!
          [Success: 475, Roll: 939] A clumsy rogue krushes you with her iron fist! 70 points of damage! You fall, kicking and screaming, into the oblivion of Grendel's embrace!
          [Success: 474, Roll: 652] A vicious human rogue krushes you with his iron fist! 54 points of damage! You fall, kicking and screaming, into the oblivion of Grendel's embrace!
          [Success: 483, Roll: 908] A bolt of chain lightning streaks in from the south passing through and electrifing you with a loud *ZZZZZT*! 33 points of damage! You fall, kicking and screaming, into the oblivion of Grendel's embrace!
          roar
          You can't do that while you are dead.

Comment

do you melee, marnevel ? How precisely do you do that?
            I must not lag. Lag is the game-killer. Lag is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my lag. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the lag has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

<Toasty the Gryphon grumbles: [ I had a visual of Lurekus as, like .. a mummified Mr. Clean.. ]>

Comment

Good idea

I like the idea of having a pause before an attack. My big beef is that so many approachers can approach you at one time. I recall that at one point I was fighting 5 uglies at once and only 3 could approach me, the other 2 just kept trying but could not until one of the three was killed. Now I'm getting approached by 5-6 uglies at once and with that number attacking all at once, three hits get in and I'm down less them 10 health. I agree that a pause would be nice too, at least you could look around and see what's attacking before you are a corpse.

Comment

A delay would be nice. But I think the real problem is that too many uglies are being spawned at once. It's awfully hard to cope with 6 uglies whaling away at you.

But I admit that my character isn't built for heavy combat. Any other thoughts on this?

Comment

After you get the warning message, if you'll give it a second, then look, you'll see what uglies you've spawned. Gives you a chance to attack first. Gotta be quick though. Or you can just take a chance and type out your attack and hope you guessed right. That's how I usually get the first hit in.
                  Falicorn

Comment

<look> command lags alot, never been able to seen the humans with it before their attacks... i usualy try to take my chance and guess what kind of uglies i spawned too.

Comment

Rediculous

Allright, do all of you accomplished fighters remember when 4+ uglies spawned at once they were always a SIGNIFICANTLY weaker version of the singles? Well, has something been changed or what? Sometimes through the double spawn thing I can get 10 uglies at once and they seem to be hardly weaker than any single I get. And when the spawn rate is about a group every 20 seconds sometimes, I'm sure you can see how this gets very annoying. And when combined with the lag as of late, it gets tiring as well. If uglies are going to spawn this fast, quit making them smarter and faster GM's and start fixing the lag issue or at least slowing down the uglies in some way, and I think Lurker has a good idea towards helping some of the problems that have come up as of late.

~Z~
                      Ephaelion says to you, "I can just picture in my head the grandmaster brigand locksmith spending days jamming repeatedly one such coffer, thinking 'They will all pay when they open it and find only a sen inside'"

Danasei says to you, "What is this reference to a flower other than daisies!? I DO NOT LIKE IT."

An urchin with tattered large sacks on his arms runs through the area, clutching a flint-tipped spear yelling, "Rue! Rue! Rue!"

Comment

Personally... I'm thankful of the changes made so far.. At least I'm finally getting somewhere. I still die alot, but at least killing one fighter makes up for the FP lost by dying once.. It's still hard, but I'm actually advancing some now, where as before I was lucky to move up a level a day... Now I can actually see some progress as I fight, and move up 3-5 levels a day, and for this I'm extremely grateful. Before it was like... "I'll never make it to 3rd tier!!" Now it's like.. "Hell yeah, it may take a while, but i'll make it..." My saying this does'nt mean that I feel all problems have been fixed... All I'm saying is express your complaints, here and most of all in @reports/@requests (the GM's don't read every single post/thread, but @requests are logged and it's a gaurantee they see it.), but be thankful that things are at least slightly better than a week ago.. And give them some time to fix some of the other problems. On the other hand.. I'm not certain, but is it *worse* now than it was for anyone, before they made these FP changes a few days ago? For me it's an improvement, a slight one, but still improvement.. But if it's even worse on others, then more possibilities should be looked into.

Comment

I haven't played a proper melee fighter since beta, but I was good at what I did and I always got the first attack in by waiting a couple of seconds and 'look'ing to see the spawned enemy.

I've noticed that not only infamy, but level, has a lot to do with uglies that are spawned.

At level 63 with 20-something infamy, I get uglies that hit me with 300's, that I need 800's to hit.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information