Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
2 of 2 < >

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Is this considered cheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this considered cheating?

l
    This mountain plateau is filled with standing stones of various shapes and sizes. In the center of the plateau, they form a ring, 60 feet in diameter. In the center of this ring is a great bonfire, always burning. The smoke generated by the bonfire swirls in fantastic shapes in the air.
    You see a towering mountain looming overhead up a steep incline to the north; a small, steep ridge up a steep incline to the northeast; a small, mountain field to the east; a high, grassy field to the southeast and to the southwest; a broad valley, nestled in the mountains to the south; a subalpine glade, covered in tundra to the west; and a deeply creviced mountain up a steep incline to the northwest.

Dark thunderclouds move away toward the northeast, several miles away.
    say j
    You moan, "j"
    emote grins and says, "Are you here to fight for the fane?"
    Mumhra the Mummy grins and says, "Are you here to fight for the fane?"
    fe1
    You don't know how to do that.
    fe2
    Mumhra the Mummy begins to move towards you.
    fe3
    Mumhra the Mummy stops next to you.
    fe4
    Enter the string you wish to associate with this macro, or hit return to abort:
    emote grins and says, "Are you here to fight for the fane?"
    Macro added. To add, delete, and view macros, use the @macro command by itself.
    Archimage the Minotaur looks surprised as he stumbles out of his hiding place.
    Archimage the Minotaur roars, "wait"
    Archimage the Minotaur roars, "something wrong"
    cack
    You cackle.

After this incident, I and Archi had an arguement. He said that this kind of act(emoting at fanes/battles) is considered cheating. I disagree. Firstly , I think everything is fair in fane battles. and second, I didnt even know he was there!

So I ask you ... Is this considered cheating?

PS
    I did not know Archimage was there. And I was looking for an available Macro. as you see.. fe1, fe2, and fe3 are already taken
    Mumhra the Everliving
    "Respect is not given. It is earned."

Oh ... And this happened at SHamans Fane.
    Mumhra the Everliving

Comment

the person who is being power emoted will consider it bad form, and you (the player) will get a bad rep just as though you were caught intentionally laghitting or abusing any bug in the game. although GMs wont actually do anything about power emoting like that, you wont be a popular monster at all.
      Rythgen says:
      "arg! i would defend myself but my massive schlong prevents me from moving!"
      The current rune bearer is Jinn the Hydra, who is located very far away to the northeast at a hot shaft.

Comment

Gah! Bad Rep? =( ... I told ye. I did not know He was there. I was just looking for available macros.
        Mumhra the Everliving

Comment

Don't worry, like laghitting you would be forgiven for doing it once unintentionally but if you do it repeatedly *glares at Redric* (not that he cares) you'll get a bad rep.
          Rythgen says:
          "arg! i would defend myself but my massive schlong prevents me from moving!"
          The current rune bearer is Jinn the Hydra, who is located very far away to the northeast at a hot shaft.

Comment

Well, it's not bad form to use emotes at a fane. However, the manner in which you used yours was cheating.

Hide allows monsters to do just that - hide. Mechanically, you have to search for them in order to find them. If they are hidden and you havent searched, then your character would not know if anyone is there.

Having emotes that affect an area, IE :approaches you, is cheating simply because you used OOC knowledge and a third person view point to achieve an IC goal.
            [Success: 5, Roll: 88] You twist slightly, throwing a straight strike at a brute with the palm of your rear hand. Critical Hit! A shriek from a brute marks the deep pierce by your right hand to a brute's groin.

Gorathos:
            If Chuck Norris played TEC, he'd be Ibios.

Attica:
            No he wouldn't you idiot. He'd be Praxum.

Comment

I dont know about other hiders in the game,but i dont mind when people do the emotes to trick me...Its happened a few times,and if im to dumb to type "look me" or "hide" to see if im still hidden,then thats my fault...everything IS fair at a fane,if you can trick me into reavealing myself then go for it.....though to be fair,i was pretty pissed when i realised that i gave myself away..
              You can't stand my Gouf.

Comment

In this instance, I would say it wasn't intentional cheating. However, if you did it everytime you entered a fane, that would definately be considered cheating. If you don't see a person, then you can't direct a comment to their face, which is pretty much what "<character> does.

If you are very sure that someone is hiding there, you can do what Mythras does, try taunting the person out of hiding. Or you could say something like, "Soandso, I know you're here. Show yourself." or something along those lines.

Also, for example, if you walk into a fane you can play out the scenario like this:

You see no one at fane.
                You say, "Hello Malice."

Even if you don't see me. That wouldn't be cheating. However if you did this:

You see no one at fane.
                act says to you, "Hello."

That would be, because like what was previously stated. It is a power emote. Everyone hidden in the area will see you addressing a hello to them, and since you don't *actually* see them, you can't address them.
                http://www.crush007.com/love.cgi?id=1127958542pnx
                http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/uthgolsarchives

Comment

I don't think saying "Hello Malice" is cheating by any means. It's not power emoting either.

If you get fooled by it, you get fooled by it. Haven't you ever played hide and seek and someone says, "I see you behind the sofa" even when you are clearly out of sight? Some people will get up thinking they were caught.

It's the same thing. I don't think that is power emoting saying "Hi Malice how are you" Doing the "XXX approaches you and stops next to you" is bad form though and I'd say cheating.

http://whindanser.tripod.com

Comment

*eyeshift*

Thats what I said....
                    http://www.crush007.com/love.cgi?id=1127958542pnx
                    http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/uthgolsarchives

Comment

*cough*

I knew that....

*eyeshift*

http://whindanser.tripod.com

Comment

The fact that his emotes caused me to reveal myself wouldn't have been viewed as bad form to me if he had takin measures to insure OOC fairness and IC reality. But, he proceeded to kill me and take the fane. He used OOC stuff for IC gain. That was wrong in my opinion... cheating.

It was no different than someone finding a offensive bug and then exploiting it against other monsters rather than reporting it.

*edit*
                        Before the log starts, he had been searching the fane repeatedly. He searched probably around 15 times and did not find me. So, clearly, IC he should not have been able to take the fane.

(even though I ended up getting it anyway with the assistance of a clan member...after I'd already died a few times)
                        Archimage
                        Formerly known as Lord of Silence
                        Formerly Head of Administrative Affairs for Usuichii's Lab
                        Formerly a member of the Dark Dragoons.
                        Formerly leader and master architect of the Labyrinth.

Comment

Re: Is this considered cheating?

Originally posted by Cassius

After this incident, I and Archi had an arguement. He said that this kind of act(emoting at fanes/battles) is considered cheating. I disagree. Firstly , I think everything is fair in fane battles. and second, I didnt even know he was there!

So I ask you ... Is this considered cheating?

Emoting is fine at fanes. Power-emoting isn't though. If you consider such things fine, then Uthgol would turn into this..

Troll the Troll spears you viciously with a supreme supreme spear of mummy-smiting! You're dead!
                          Henry: (To Indy) MARCUS?! You didn't drag poor Marcus along, did you? He's not up to the challenge.
                          Donovan: He sticks out like a sore thumb. We'll find him.

Indy: The hell you will. He's got a two-Day head-start on you, which is more than he needs. (Beat) Brody's got friends in every town and village from here to the sudan. He speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom. He'll blend in. Disappear. You'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the Grail already.

Henry looks amazed and impressed.
                          ------------------------------------------------
                          Ext. Train station - city of Iskenderun - Day
                          Brody disembarks from the train along with the other passengers, a cross- section of arabs and tusks.
                          Brody: Does anyone here speak english? Or even ancient greek?
                          Originally posted by Dark997895
                          Though I do have the advantage of TEC, where training is nowhere as exciting as it is here, what with all the bodies exploding and Hamlet quotes.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information