Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

Mozilla Firefox ESR

An alternative for all users, but especially for Mac users, is Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox that branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2016, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but one that should work for a while longer.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
2 of 2 < >

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Philospher's Stone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philospher's Stone

Here's an idea:

Have an area accessable to everyone in the gameworld with a strange runed rock. If you place an item or armor on it, it will enchant it with a random magical property for the cost of 100 karma. Potency and magic type would be random to avoid abuse. That way if you found an item you REALLY liked i.e. a mummy with wrappings or a small ankh, you could place the item on the stone and it would give it some random magical property.

Perhaps also, you could bring items to the stone to "recharge" them. So you can repair your wrecked crystal collar of command or whathaveyou.

Base it on your level and make the cost scale up with your level. Also, allow you to pay half or double karma for a weaker or stronger enchantment.

You don't get to choose what the enchantment is, so it's a risk.

Comment

I like this idea alot. Sounds like you two have a great idea in the works here. I'd throw a yes this direction for it to be added.

The Wind Of Death

Comment

Only reason I don't think it should be based on level is that maxed toons would always have stronger enchantments. And more access to the stone since they've got nothing to spend favors on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kikaro View Post
          Only reason I don't think it should be based on level is that maxed toons would always have stronger enchantments. And more access to the stone since they've got nothing to spend favors on.
          I see no problem with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rythgen View Post
            I see no problem with this.
            It'd basically get rid of the need for the arena, or hunting for enchantments. 100 karma is incredibly easy to come by, especially post-max.

100 karma should get you, maybe, half your level in enchantment. After that, every 100 extra karma you want to spend increases its power by ~5%.
            -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Originally posted by Usuichii View Post
              It'd basically get rid of the need for the arena, or hunting for enchantments. 100 karma is incredibly easy to come by, especially post-max.

100 karma should get you, maybe, half your level in enchantment. After that, every 100 extra karma you want to spend increases its power by ~5%.
              So you'd prefer it didn't scale with levels? Then I'll just make a ton of throwaway alts, get those easy Mentor-fueled favors and play the philosopher's stone lottery, discarding the character when its usefulness has run out.

The arena scales with level, this should too, even if it's a stupid idea.

Comment

I love this idea! But I do think the enchantment strength should be based on level for the reason Rythgen described. Perhaps increase the price to 1000 karma, or make the price based on level too. Maybe also make some enchantments easier or harder to get than others.
                <Zetsu the Vampire grumbles: [ GR's like meth... you try it once and for the next 10 years you're still hooked to it no matter how bad it gets ]>

Comment

Originally posted by Rythgen View Post
                  So you'd prefer it didn't scale with levels?
                  Something like that. They could spend a few hundred karma for some very common enchantments (slippery, warm, etc). Or they could just spend an adjustable/higher amount for better stuff. Maybe that price could scale more and more with levels, but basically more than just one payment option.

Of course, devour would need to be fixed first. 100 karma for enchanted items that boost your defense regardless of rarity/quality would be pretty broken.

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

mreh. How about you get one random item per month? No points. Just... a gift from Grendel. Enchantments will vary. Donating Karma at the sight allows you to repair enchanted armor to a degree based on how much you donate. Sounds better to me.
                    SMARMY the GIANT

Comment

Originally posted by Usuichii View Post
                      Of course, devour would need to be fixed first. 100 karma for enchanted items that boost your defense regardless of rarity/quality would be pretty broken.
                      I think this reason is moot, because anyone who's played for just a month will have access to things to devour, magic armor included too. They aren't exactly hard to find: you can either find a pile getting dusty in your lair, or someone will just give you some to eat as vet players tend to do. When I go out hunting, I pretty much need a clear inventory because by the time I'm done I'll have to go and drop off all the magic armor I find, and that's only in a 3-hour time frame.

Vet players won't need to go and "abuse" this system simply because chances are they or someone they know will have magic armor just laying around to devour if they need it. I do think the cost needs to be more than 100 karma though.
                      <Zetsu the Vampire grumbles: [ GR's like meth... you try it once and for the next 10 years you're still hooked to it no matter how bad it gets ]>

Comment

Whoever said 100 karma is just being silly.

Make it require a minimum level of 100. 50 karma for a level 100 item. 500 karma for a level 1000 item.

50 favors for a RANDOM magical enchantment of level 1000 is a significant investment. 5 favors for a RANDOM magical enchantment of level 100 isn't, but the item will suck anyway. Make it so you can only do it once a day.

Hell, you have a 40% chance of winning a random item of your level in an arena that occurs 16 times a day if you're alone. You have a chance of getting an item HIGHER than your level, if someone shows up and you win.

It's also worth noting that "of your level" isn't that good, even at max. Good enchantments come from several people joining an arena.

If done this way, it couldn't really be abused. It'd just be another cool thing to do when you're maxed, or when you've got 70k karma to burn through (read: Vorico).

Comment

Originally posted by Smarmy View Post
                          mreh. How about you get one random item per month? No points. Just... a gift from Grendel. Enchantments will vary. Donating Karma at the sight allows you to repair enchanted armor to a degree based on how much you donate. Sounds better to me.
                          I'm not sure how a pointless handout really ties in with this suggestion at all, or how it'd be better.

Any idea where you have a reason to play and earn cool things is better than "hey, have some cool things". Well, maybe not just any idea.

Comment

Originally posted by The Burninator View Post
                            I think this reason is moot, because anyone who's played for just a month will have access to things to devour, magic armor included too.
                            That's a bad thing.

GR has a bad in-game economy because of reasons like this, and deciding that "since it's already like this, it's okay to make it worse" is very, very bad.

50 favors for a RANDOM magical enchantment of level 1000 is a significant investment.
                            Not if you're maxed or near maxed. A miner could essentially (and literally) mine enchanted items all day, easily. See above for why that is bad.

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Nobody is going to spend 50 favors for an item to devour.

What's a maxed miner get per day at the start of their maxing? If you're so worried about that, make it so that it costs more and you get a discount for kills done. 5x the cost, up to 80% discount for kills done that day. You could do it in other ways too.

Comment

Working...
                              X