Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Favor gain for warriors/mages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Favor gain for warriors/mages

    Can we possibly get a boost to our favor gain? The addition of pack hunting was great for us when there were actually active people out and about but now that there really isn't leveling a pure mage/warrior is ridiculously slow.

    Perhaps add in an effect on the training room/alchemists lab that increase the favor gain of warriors/mages respectively with investment? As it stands now, builders, shaman, and leaders all have a structure that boosts favor gain as well as the favor gain from the great hall. It is ridiculously tedious to level a warrior/mage vs a builder/shaman/leader.

  • #2
    The problem with gaining more FP is that you max sooner, and GR doesn't have a strong end game yet. I think I a scaling favor gain increase would be better -- more favor as a lower level, less at a higher level.

    It could even adjust itself depending on the average active game level, helping players catch up to the rest of the community. This would make PvP a lot more interesting.
    -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

    Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

    Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

    Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

    Comment


    • #3
      I think the spawn chances just need to be doubled or tripled. I hate fighting for 15 seconds and then waiting for a minute for the next spawn. This is, in my opinion, the worst thing in GR.

      GR's end game is just the same as the mid and early game. It's a very simple game. I see no harm in making it faster to level, as long as the "faster to level" ideas make the game a better game and don't just boost favor gain. Making people wait less to fight would be the former; just multiplying the favor gain would be the latter.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Vorico View Post
        I think the spawn chances just need to be doubled or tripled. I hate fighting for 15 seconds and then waiting for a minute for the next spawn. This is, in my opinion, the worst thing in GR.

        GR's end game is just the same as the mid and early game. It's a very simple game. I see no harm in making it faster to level, as long as the "faster to level" ideas make the game a better game and don't just boost favor gain. Making people wait less to fight would be the former; just multiplying the favor gain would be the latter.
        There are already so many problems with spawning as you move across Uthgol though. I can't see increased spawns across the board being a good thing.

        The option to increase and decrease spawns somehow would solve both problems though.
        -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

        Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

        Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

        Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

        Comment


        • #5
          What problems are there? I'd hate to have to micromanage potions to achieve the gameplay standard I've felt has been missing the entire time. It seems pointless to put in a half measure when the main problem is glaring and could easily be fixed.

          I'll do a hunt right now and post some sample data. I'm not sure how anyone can examine the time breakdown and sanely think that the default gameplay experience doesn't need to change.

          50 wait
          15 fight

          98 wait
          42 fight

          115 wait
          45 fight

          140 wait
          8 fight

          140 wait
          25 fight

          130 wait
          15 fight

          120 wait
          20 fight

          793 total wait
          170 total fight

          This is not a large sample, but the pattern is obvious. The LEAST time waiting puts the waiting period at 70% of the total time (98 / (42 + 98)). The greatest time waiting puts the waiting period at 94.5% of the total time (140 / (8 + 140)). 82.3% of the total time was spent waiting (793 / (170 + 793)).

          So, when someone is actively hunting on a low-mid level warrior, they can expect to spend 80%+ of their time staring at the screen. Are there any current players that actually hunt, when alone online, and give the game their full attention? The game is so passive that I typically play other games or watch movies. That is bad game design. This isn't a timed FB game; it's meant to be played actively.

          * These times do not include time spent scavenging and moving around. I would think scavenging would fall into the immersive "playing" side and moving would fall into the filler "wasted time" side, but I can't measure either in a worthwhile manner.

          Comment


          • #6
            Don't forget that GR is intended to be a Role-Playing game, therefore, interactive.

            Smarmy can barely move at times because nearly every step spawns uglies... hordes of uglies at times (15-20 or so in a batch).

            Also, as I am sure you do not consider other roles, potion mixing monsters have to harvest and collect ingredients for their potions if they want their potions to be strong and not cost an arm and a leg. Spawning uglies while harvesting is a hazard and SEVERELY hampers the process, making it impossible at times. The rt in harvesting is, in my untimed experience, the same or longer than the rt in battles. And you only harvest ONE item per harvest. Add to it that each properly prepared potion requires three ingredients (some very rare), and it is no wonder that most who mix potions do so without any ingredients, making their potions less powerful and more expensive to make.
            SMARMY the GIANT

            Comment


            • #7
              If you want to RP while hunting, an area doesn't spawn a second time for ~15 minutes. I'm pretty sure 15 minutes for every 20 second fight is enough RP time, if wanted. It's a silly notion to think that waiting time needs to be forced on people because they might want to RP.

              Now that spawns are fixed and do not teleport to your current location when moving, no one has any problem moving around.

              Shaman are the only role that fits your example and only for mixer. They are socials, no other role can have as much defense, and they have several defense utilities. I don't think that making GR a bit more dangerous is really a problem for them.

              Most who mix potions don't use ingredients because keeping track of where they are and collecting them is a hassle, human spawns or not, and unnecessary for a maxed mixer most of the time. PvP in this game is pretty dead.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Vorico View Post
                Now that spawns are fixed and do not teleport to your current location when moving, no one has any problem moving around.
                You don't play my character, so you have no grounds on which to claim "no one has any problem moving around. "

                Originally posted by Vorico View Post
                Shaman are the only role that fits your example and only for mixer. They are socials, no other role can have as much defense, and they have several defense utilities. I don't think that making GR a bit more dangerous is really a problem for them.
                Again, you don't play my characters. Being as you made the statement that you don't think this, I'll just state that you are wrong in this as it applies to certain characters.

                Originally posted by Vorico View Post
                Most who mix potions don't use ingredients because keeping track of where they are and collecting them is a hassle, human spawns or not, and unnecessary for a maxed mixer most of the time.
                A maxed mixer does create powerful potions. However, adding the ingredients STILL makes them more powerful and less costly. As to why most who mix potions don't use ingredients, I have only my own experience to draw on. Did you conduct some research into this to come to your conclusion? I DO collect them, even though remembering where they are and the hazards is a hassle.

                Originally posted by Vorico View Post
                PvP in this game is pretty dead.
                Yes and No. I appreciate the 'call' channel recently added, as it facilitates PvP amongst the few players who are online. We need more players!
                SMARMY the GIANT

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Smarmy View Post
                  You don't play my character, so you have no grounds on which to claim "no one has any problem moving around. "
                  I am not your player, you mean. If you can't enter single or double letter commands in fast enough to not get trapped in combat, I can't really say anything about that. I believe most players can type more than one letter per 2.5 seconds when they know where they want to go.

                  A maxed mixer does create powerful potions. However, adding the ingredients STILL makes them more powerful and less costly. As to why most who mix potions don't use ingredients, I have only my own experience to draw on. Did you conduct some research into this to come to your conclusion? I DO collect them, even though remembering where they are and the hazards is a hassle.
                  I had two maxed mixers of my own. I have been in clans and utilized half a dozen more. We never bothered with ingredients but for the very rare PvP. They never were considered necessary for hunting and resources are literally infinite.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Vorico View Post
                    I am not your player, you mean. If you can't enter single or double letter commands in fast enough to not get trapped in combat, I can't really say anything about that. I believe most players can type more than one letter per 2.5 seconds when they know where they want to go.
                    Wow. Nasty, are you? I could say mean things about you too, but I have more class than to sink to such a base level.

                    Focusing on the topic: When attacked by 15+ uglies, the max of which surround your character, you retreat and during the rt, the others surround your character. You can spend endless time trying to 'retreat and run' fast enough but that is impossible with such high numbers of spawn.

                    Originally posted by Vorico View Post
                    They never were considered necessary for hunting and resources are literally infinite.
                    My builders use potions. The strength of the potions matters GREATLY when it comes to the strength of traps. Additionally, the healing dark green potion is so much better when it is made as strong as possible. As far as being necessary for hunting, since when has something being 'necessary' ruled out making things "easier" or "stronger" or "quicker", therefore BETTER? These are just a few examples of where potions make a difference. There are others.

                    As a side note, not all mixers are socials. Smarmy was a mixer while a Hag. For a LONG time. She couldn't always hold the max of 4000 gold to mix potions, but could hold the reduced cost when using the ingredients. Also, being a wanderer, she had to collect or find a pile of the gold needed. There were no mines or resource chambers for her to make use of.
                    SMARMY the GIANT

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Introduce potions that can be made, or found on corpses that increase ugly spawn significantly for a certain time.


                      Either make higher lvl potions lengthen the time limit of the effect, or the percentage increase...or both.

                      By significantly, I want to walk into the new screen and within 5 seconds, have a wave of baddies. Kill/loot, move to next screen and within 5 seconds another wave.

                      Perhaps said potion could increase number of waves too. Instead of a big spawn that has 16 uglies come 4 at a time for 4 waves, have 4 at a time come for 8 waves!

                      Call it Ugly musk or something

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Matt View Post
                        Introduce potions that can be made, or found on corpses that increase ugly spawn significantly for a certain time.


                        Either make higher lvl potions lengthen the time limit of the effect, or the percentage increase...or both.

                        By significantly, I want to walk into the new screen and within 5 seconds, have a wave of baddies. Kill/loot, move to next screen and within 5 seconds another wave.

                        Perhaps said potion could increase number of waves too. Instead of a big spawn that has 16 uglies come 4 at a time for 4 waves, have 4 at a time come for 8 waves!

                        Call it Ugly musk or something
                        This would definitely be a great improvement over the current.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X