Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Favors/End Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favors/End Game

Grendel's Revenge is mostly attractive to me for the unique dynamic that happens between the three castes. Whether this is PvP, clan warfare, or dramatic roleplay in and between clans/WMs, I think we can all agree that conflict is what makes Uthgol go 'round.

Early on, GR experienced a lot of this mainly due in fact to the fairly even playing field the game had at the time from characters starting at about the same point. Even levels meant that numbers were more effective, and that strategy was important. It created an interesting environment that was constantly changing amongst the players.

Would every player being near or at max more quickly have this same effect? The games mechanics are in definite need of rebalancing, but the same could be said of back then. In fact, we have even more fixed now.

There's basically no end game to keep people interested once they max, but if there are multiple clans/WMs, fighting, and developing stories between many players, then isn't that end game in itself?
    -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

There needs to be more challenging and diverse PvE for the end game, and for the mid and early game too. There needs to be rewards and possibly consequences to fit the level of challenge.

The game's current challenging content is based around PvP, but there is no playerbase to support the PvP.

If I don't have someone to hunt down, what can I do? I can hunt or do arenas. Hunting is grinding and the arena is concentrated grinding.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorico View Post
      There needs to be more challenging and diverse PvE for the end game, and for the mid and early game too. There needs to be rewards and possibly consequences to fit the level of challenge.

The game's current challenging content is based around PvP, but there is no playerbase to support the PvP.

If I don't have someone to hunt down, what can I do? I can hunt or do arenas. Hunting is grinding and the arena is concentrated grinding.
      Those are just broader strokes though. Yes, the game needs other things as well. I'm not saying that making it easier to max a character would solve all of the problems.

I'm putting it forward for some open thinking instead. If it were easier to max out your character, would the even ground for competition create a more active gameworld?

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Yes and no.

If everyone was already max level and able to compete with each other, it would definitely be easier to PvP and not be frustrated.

However, even if you bump the leveling rate up by 10x, which is not going to happen, it would still take a casual player a very, very long time to max and would be the same barrier we have now.

In my opinion, the leveling rate is far too slow and should be boosted drastically, but it's not going to have any significant impact on this issue except for a few hardcore players. It would make the game better, in general.

Comment

Oh you men... always so focused on the ending...
          SMARMY the GIANT

Comment

Originally posted by Vorico View Post

However, even if you bump the leveling rate up by 10x, which is not going to happen, it would still take a casual player a very, very long time to max and would be the same barrier we have now.
            I don't know about a "very, very" long time, but that's fine. I still enjoy leveling, as do others. Faster is faster, and that means they can feel like their time online is more productive.

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Originally posted by Usuichii View Post
              I don't know about a "very, very" long time, but that's fine. I still enjoy leveling, as do others. Faster is faster, and that means they can feel like their time online is more productive.
              "More productive"?!? OMG! You do realize that is is an OOC forum, right?
              SMARMY the GIANT

Comment

Originally posted by Usuichii View Post
                I still enjoy leveling, as do others.
                Both of your characters are maxed....

My two-cents on the topic: If I cared that much about PvP, I certainly wouldn't have stuck around GR this long. There's a million better games out there for that. Character interaction through roleplay is what I come back for, and the lack of that is why I've pretty much left again. Faster leveling isn't going to fix that.
                Originally posted by Rythgen
                Fiendy could witstomp you into oblivion.

<Vyshka the Wyvern grumbles: {Hecate wins the internet. Forever.}>

Comment

My frustation is...

After 25 minutes of fighting a cleric, its still not dead. Maybe clerics and priests are easier when you are a higher level but they nearly impossible for a new character. It seems like they should run out of mana or something after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by fiendish_thingy View Post
                    Both of your characters are maxed....
                    All the more reason for me to be able to know I enjoyed it.

[...]. Faster leveling isn't going to fix that.
                    I'm not saying this for the sake of more PvP. Some of my fondest memories in RP here came about because of monsters/clans fighting each other on even(ish) footing.

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Perhaps adding a favor reward for anyone present when claiming a throne or fane would be cool. Obviously leaving your uber grunt army at a fane wouldn't get you favor but it gives monsters a reason to show up themselves.

Comment

Yea, that would be nice. The person getting fanes should get a reward for themselves for helping the clan.

Comment

There is a reward: the Fane bonus. I don't really see why that needs to be garnished. If it's just a matter of discouraging people from leaving their grunts there-- grunts can be easily removed.
                          Portrait courtesy of Vattukatt

Comment

Leaders, the group that represents those that should be most involved in fane management, gain almost nothing from fanes unless they are hybrids. It would be nice if there was an immediate incentive that isn't altruistic.

Comment

I respectfully disagree. The (social monster) reward is the boost the whole clan gets for winning the fane. As far as the leaders are concerned, I think it their responsibility to ensure that the fanes are attended by representatives of their lair, themselves, if no one else. Leaders are not always able to fight, so requesting others from the lair to claim the fane is legit, I think.

I do, however, think that along with the announcement at the fane location of who won the fane, if it is a clan lair, the winning lair should also have some sort of auto-announcement.
                              Korky the Ogre
                              Head Builder and Trapper of The Republic

Comment

Working...
                              X