Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
2 of 2 < >

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

"Ladies and Gentlemen...'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ladies and Gentlemen...'

...we got him."- L. Paul Bremer

I realize this particular Skotos community doesn't talk much politics, I usually go to TEC forums for that stuff, but this is pretty big, so I felt it wouldn't be inappropriate to comment.

http://msnbc.msn.com
    BREAKING NEWS
    NBC News and news services
    Updated:
    8:09 a.m. ET Dec. 14, 2003BAGHDAD, Iraq -
    Eight months after the fall of his government, Saddam Hussein has been captured by coalition forces in Iraq, the United States confirmed on Sunday. The arrest was a major victory for the coalition that has been battling an insurgency for months.

"He was wearing a fake beard and laboratory tests have proven his identity beyond any doubt," said the statement.

U.S. officials said only that the U.S. military captured a man in the basement of a building in Tikrit during raids seeking Saddam and that initial efforts to verify his identity indicate he is the deposed Iraqi dictator.

It certainly looks good," one senior U.S. official said, cautioning more scientific testing, possibly DNA, was being done early Sunday morning to try to confirm the identity.

Separately, a U.S. official told NBC News that millions of dollars was found in possession of Saddam and his entourage when he was captured.

Capture
    A U.S. official told the Associated Press that the captured man did not look like Saddam.

Trapped in a cellar, Saddam dug a hole and buried himself as U.S. soldiers moved into the house where he was hiding, an Iraqi official said Sunday.

"The American soldiers had to use shovels to dig him out," Entifadh Qanbar, spokesman for Governing Council member Ahmad Chalabi, told The Associated Press.

Rumors in Kirkuk
    Earlier in the day, rumors of the capture sent people streaming into the streets of Kirkuk, a northern Iraqi city, firing guns in the air in celebration.

"We are celebrating like it's a wedding," said Kirkuk resident Mustapha Sheriff. "We are finally rid of that criminal."

"This is the joy of a lifetime," said Ali Al-Bashiri, another resident. "I am speaking on behalf of all the people that suffered under his rule."

NBC News correspondents, the Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this story.

The whole story can be found at the above listed link.
    http://www.crush007.com/love.cgi?id=1127958542pnx
    http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/uthgolsarchives

My entire household woke up and was screaming and cheering at 7:00 in the morning. It was awesome.

I love America!

http://whindanser.tripod.com

Comment

heh, don't think anyone here would scream and cheer at 7:00, so we did at 9:00. *eyeshift* this is great!
      <Mentor: Benn the Spirit mentors: Hello im a new monster, possibly a vampire>
      <Pishaw the Dwerger grumbles: Use a fish. Be civilised.>
      <Arkhanno the Hydra grumbles: im known for my poisonous gas 8)>
      You hear Agni the Wyvern yell, "Free beer!", from the northeast.

Comment

*cheers*
        Click Magus for luck

Comment

As helli said... Hail the bush!

Comment

Yeah. Trials and executions are so much more fun than hearing, "Today U.S. special forces killed Saddam Hussein in an attempt to subdue and arrest the former Iraqi dicator." I just hope they don't turn him over to The Hague.

Comment

I dont know, at the risk of sounding cynical and unpatriotic (to USA anyway;p), I think the troops should've captured him dead.

No offense, but on what charges will Saddam go to trial ? Nobody found any missiles at his land, all those terrorist attacks on american troops by Saddam loyalists can be judged as partisan attacks and defending their own country. Considering that ... it is their country. And Iraq is a bit more important country then Albania where US screwed up in a similar way. Everyone in the world will be watching these trials, let's hope the zeal wont end up getting US to release Saddam completely. Since, they attacked the country he was a sovereign leader of without a proven reason and all.
              I must not lag. Lag is the game-killer. Lag is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my lag. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the lag has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

<Toasty the Gryphon grumbles: [ I had a visual of Lurekus as, like .. a mummified Mr. Clean.. ]>

Comment

He's being tried for crimes since 1968 to 2003. Among those charges against him are:

Mass execution (Kurds)
                Possible Genecide (Kurds)
                Unlawful supression [int. law] (Kurds & Shiites)
                Use of outlawed Bio-Chemical weaponry [int. law] (Kurds & Iran)
                Aggressive invasion (Kuwait)

Among many many others, I'm sure. The U.S. and Coalition forces are allocating over 10 million of dollars to dig into this mans past 30+ years of rule, and to find witnesses and victims of his cruelty.

Edit: Also don't forget. Even if Saddam were to be tried at The Hague, and on the extremely slight chance that he is found innocent or not guilty, he still needs to stand trial in Iraq, where the people are absolutely not going to let him live, even if it's only for the fact that the Iraqi council is made up of 87% U.S. supporters.

Comment

(Responding to Lurekus)

That's exactly why it was good that they captured Hussien alive. The US needs to be accountable for its actions, and going in half-cocked with no plan for the future was a very stupid idea.

The US needs to rejoin the world community, stop telling other people what to do, stop trying to be the "lone gun" in diplomatic and military relations, and follow its own damn rules.

Kazzar: Why the hell would I mate with a giant parrot with anus breath?
                  <Mentor: Boadecia the Vampire mentors: Gabby is as 1337 as a duck.>
                  Dvea: Honor student of 'How to be evil 101'.
                  Exodias: Miss all of ya (Even Malice)
                  Hecate was here!

Comment

Originally posted by Gabocha
                    The US needs to rejoin the world community, stop telling other people what to do, stop trying to be the "lone gun" in diplomatic and military relations, and follow its own damn rules.
                    Yeah, we tried that before. We followed France and Britian and sat by watching as Hitler took over Austria, Hungary, Poland, the low countries, and Czechoslavkia. We sat by when Khymar dicators were killing people in SE asia, so that the French could sip wine and eat their cheese. The only reason the French were against war with Iraq was because they conduct big business with them. If it were up to the French we would all just sit around waiting for them to get invaded while millions of people die.

We don't need to be less aggressive. We need to be more aggressive, and sooner. Kill, or overthrow these dicators, before they get to the point where they are committing crimes against their people on a regular basis.

Comment

No, no, no, no, no! The United States can't take over the role of the UN! The UN is the only organization with the authority to intervene and get other nations to help. If the US would just listen to the UN as a voice of authority and stop trying to be Dirty Harry, things might actually start working the way they should.

Besides, the US has enough internal problems. A massive national debt, budget issues, civil rights, the governor of California, and religious endorsment by the state. We need to get our stuff together before we start trying to run other countries with puppet governments.

And what the hell is with the French bashing? You'd rather they start meaningless wars without proof like the US? You'd rather they sit around polishing their gun rack, waiting for a fight, like the US?

Kazzar: Why the hell would I mate with a giant parrot with anus breath?
                      <Mentor: Boadecia the Vampire mentors: Gabby is as 1337 as a duck.>
                      Dvea: Honor student of 'How to be evil 101'.
                      Exodias: Miss all of ya (Even Malice)
                      Hecate was here!

Comment

Uh, no offense, but US didnt even join the war while France and Britian have. It was a very perhaps wise political stance that USA is not to fight others wars. Untill they themselves have gotten bombed. US not joining the when poland and further on were getting captured, had nothing to do with following France or Britian. USA had just as much economical interest in industrially growing Germany then as did France and England.
                        I must not lag. Lag is the game-killer. Lag is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my lag. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the lag has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

<Toasty the Gryphon grumbles: [ I had a visual of Lurekus as, like .. a mummified Mr. Clean.. ]>

Comment

First of all, the UN is not the only body that has the authority to intervene in foreign affairs. There are a dozen or more organizations devoted to such, for example NATO, SATO, LOCUS, AU, ASAN, CBSS and the EU.

Secondly, the UN does not have the right to rule over individual governments. Which means that as long as the U.S. doesn't break international law, we can despose any dictators or rebel governments that we'd like, and so can the rest of the nations belonging to that organization. The UN does not eliminate the US' rights to ask our allies to assist us in campaigns against enemies of the U.S. as a single, or the internation community as a whole.

The U.N. is basicly a way for countries without substantial military strength to secure themselves. Join the UN, send troops to serve in UN military units, and you have the UN to protect you.

The United States internal problems have nothing to do with the military, or the use of it outside of our country. Just because Governor Schwarzenagger is in office does not mean the U.S. constitution is any weaker than it was 200 years ago.

religious endorsment by the state
                          The US doesn't kill people who don't follow a certain religion. Saddam did.

civil rights
                          If you asked a middle class Iraqi if the civil rights in America were bad, what do you think his response would be? I mean after he stops laughing.

A massive national debt, budget issues
                          Money we use to pay for libraries, schools, universities, state transportation programs, as opposed to Saddam spending millions of dollars on his 100 palaces. Tell me how that equates?

And what the hell is with the French bashing?
                          Not to single out the French, but they were the ones most largely against not just this war, but just about every single war for better conditions in history. The Germans and Russians were against the idea of war with Iraq too, but that didn't stop them from giving certain support.

You'd rather they start meaningless wars without proof like the US?
                          How much proof do you need? How about the hundreds of mass graves in the Kurdish north, where thousands were killed because they were Kurdish. Or when they were gassed because of their sect beliefs. Or how about the dozens of recorded uses of chemical weapons against the Iranians? Or Saddam's continued attempts to smuggle in weapon grade plutonium? Or him paying 50k$ to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers? Tell me how there is any lack of meaning or proof.

You'd rather they sit around polishing their gun rack, waiting for a fight, like the US?
                          I'd rather the rest of the world grow a little backbone and not sit around waiting for some madman to do something that is a serious threat to the rest of the world, or that would force him to stay in power indefinately. I'd rather that the rest of the world be prepared to fight because that is what it takes to get things done sometimes. I'd rather the rest of the world look to the future rather then their own desperate economies. But hey, that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker
                            Uh, no offense, but US didnt even join the war while France and Britian have. It was a very perhaps wise political stance that USA is not to fight others wars. Untill they themselves have gotten bombed. US not joining the when poland and further on were getting captured, had nothing to do with following France or Britian. USA had just as much economical interest in industrially growing Germany then as did France and England.
                            The big difference is, we didn't trade with the aggressive nations. France, has been, and never stopped trading with Iraq, sending foreign aid, buying oil, and investing the Iraq economy. The intelligence that was collect by MIA, the CIA and the UN pointed to the fact that the Iraqi regeme was developing, and storing illegal weaponry. Furthermore, instead of allowing UN weapons inspectors into the country to disprove this, Saddam denied them entry for months on end. Further still, after being allowed into the country, we found illegal equipment (mostly delieverance devices), enough to bring investigations and trials, if not enough to involve a UN police force. But with the exception of Great Britain, no other member of the UN was willing to investigate further.

Perhaps it was wise not to get involved in WWII until after 11 DEC, but guess what, we still got a lot of criticism for not getting involved sooner. The internal community, and liberals can't have it both ways. We either need to get involved when a problem is developing, or get involved after it effects us, the rest of our allies, or the world.

People critize the US for not getting involved soon enough, so we get involved sooner, then we get criticized for getting involved. Since we get criticized either way, we are going to do what is easiest for our government, and least costly, dangerous and risky.

Comment

Working...
                            X