Announcement

Collapse

Grendel's Revenge Free Accounts

On December 15th of 2012, Grendel's Revenge enabled free accounts for play. This announcement is following in the suit of TEC's own free account announcement, serving as a reminder to any new or returning players that are browsing the forums.

For all the details about what free accounts are, look no further than here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=95655

In order to log into GR for free, simply visit this page to sign into your Skotos account (ignoring any subscription notices it may give): https://www.skotos.net/user/login.php

Then click the following link for Zealotry/Firefox: zealotry:@GrendelsRevenge.skotos.net...login/Zealotry

Or this link for Alice/Internet Explorer: http://grendelsrevenge.skotos.net/mo...in/alice.shtml

Problems? Questions? You can email the GR staff group at grendel.staff@gmail.com
See more
See less

Legislation for Draft in Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legislation for Draft in Progress

Grrr......

Just feel like I need to spread the word. The Senate and House of Representatives are apparently trying to do this without a whole lot of people knowing, during the current elections.
    Current Monster: Nadriel the Hydra

-----------------
    "It's easy to criticize someone who generates an idea, assumes the risk."

Drake,quit while you're ahead man..Just going to cause a flame war.
    You can't stand my Gouf.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinn
      Drake,quit while you're ahead man..Just going to cause a flame war.
      Jinn, thats what politics are. I personally praise Drake for bringing this to everyone's attention. Things people who are old enough to vote really must know before November.

[Edit:] Question.... was the other thread about this deleted? Cause I took 25 minutes typing up a rant at seta and then it was gone *eyeshift*
      Bakdom the Afreet

We are the revenants, and we will rise up from the dead.
      We become the living, we've come back to reclaim our stolen breath.

Comment

Clearly if the last thread on the topic was removed,it doesnt belong in the forums.
        You can't stand my Gouf.

Comment

I think the title of this thread is much, much better than the old one.

Personally, I much prefer my facts very much seperated from opinion and interpertation. The fact that this legeslation exists, and might be something we're interested in, is one thing.

Opinion that this legeslation is bad, and the interpertation that Bush is primarily responsible, and a suggested course of action based on that opinion and interpertation, is an entirely different thing.

I think it's proper that the primary post about the subject be entirely about the facts... leaving discussion, opinion, and interpertation to follow.

Heck, even append opinion to the end... but the subject of the post and the beginning of the post should be the facts only, with opinion coming afterwards, seperately.

Of course, that's all my opinion, my preference for how things are done.

As for being on-topic, it is said that (discussion of) politics can make bitter enemies out of the best of friends. As such, I wary of such discussions. I'm not in favor of these bills, though.
          Blackhand

Comment

I deleted it because people were not responding the way I wanted. I mainly wanted to spread the word about this dreaded draft. They're planning for this to be as early as the spring I graduate!

It almost sounds like there'll be a draft no matter what...I hope not. But from the sounds of things, if we have a President who will pull us out of Iraq somehow, there won't be a draft.

I wish I had a copy of that book from U.S. History...it had all sorts of documents about the War on Terrorism, even one from a former CIA agent who quit before 9/11. He mentioned how there was no possible way to get intel on the Taliban legally or illegally. Of course, that is all over...

He did point out, however, that this war is against a group with no definitive boundaries. Only ideological boundaries. They have no one country. There has been debate over an analogy of the War on Terrorism to the Cold War. Which doesn't work. The main difference is, (besides that the Cold War was mainly between two superpowers), that the Cold War had an end. There is no end for this war, simply because Bush intends to go root out all supposed terrorists.

That book had a lot of good documents, for and against this war. Frankly, I'm anti-war, but I'm a bit of a fanatic of pacifism.

Mainly, I think America is morally wrong in this situation. The Muslims are fighting to get us to stop meddling in their affairs, ever since we started up Israel. They also are not happy with the UN about that, since they helped with it. There have been interviews with bin Laden, and he basically stated that he wants the U.S. out of the Middle East. Of course, he mentioned all the Allah stuff of how we should all convert to Islam, but that's what all extremist Muslims want.

I just don't see why we should be there if they don't want us there. How would you like it if a country with ten times the money and power, (just chose a random number), stationed troops on your land and used your oil? Oh, and also took a small portion of your country to make a refuge for another group of people whom you would rather you never heard of? I know this all sounds racist and whatnot, but try and put yourself in their shoes. That part of the Cold War analogy is true: the government makes them out to be totally evil and inhuman. We did the same thing to communists. And, in my opinion, Iraq is similar to the Vietnam situation in that we need to pull out but it would be politically unwise.

I've typed too much, and my thoughts are all jumbled up to boot, so I'll just stop

-----------------

Comment

Indeed, it seems really unfair to force peaceful, anti-war people to go and kill other human beings, and to then die for a country with a pretty cruddy leader who said we'd be outta there quite some time ago.
              Bakdom the Afreet

Comment

Yeah...I'm just a computer nerd, and I know very little. If I were to be drafted now, I'd lose my chance at learning all the neat programming languages from a learned individual in person I'd have to go out and be a true geek and buy one of those technical books...because lets face it, I couldn't beat up the shortest girl in my class if I wanted to. And let's face it, I don't even want to beat up my little brother.

I would not be able to bring myself to shoot a weapon at anybody...I'd end up being one of those stupid people who died first...

-----------------

Comment

If you will read the bill, those that get classified as concientious objectors (because of religious training and belief (as defined in section 6(j) of the Military Selective Service Act (50 U.S.C. 456(j)))) get desk jobs.
                  Blackhand

Comment

I have no connection with any religion. I just have my own morals. I'd like to point out how that points towards this war being too much based on religion. Notice how we're fighting Muslim extremists? It seems that the government is bringing Chirstianity into it. The various religions of Christianity and whatnot are very similar to the Islamic religion. Supposedly, the prophets that these religions came from were brothers.

I mean not to offend anybody, I just state the facts. Since I have no connection with any religion, I know not of the various names of all the religions or the exact differences and similarities between them. I am also not making this a discussion about religion. I would prefer that we only discuss our beliefs on the war.

-----------------

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhand
                      If you will read the bill, those that get classified as concientious objectors (because of religious training and belief (as defined in section 6(j) of the Military Selective Service Act (50 U.S.C. 456(j)))) get desk jobs.
                      Just as its illegal to make it possible for someone to commit murder, I personally find it just as morally wrong to enable the murder of innocent [and a few not so innocent] Iraqi civilians, as it is to be on the front line with a gun. Just not as messy.

Oh, and well, I'm atheist, so I wouldn't exactly get exempt from the killing. I believe that EVERYONE is equal and no one should be willing to kill or die for a piece of cloth, not in an almighty being. Not exactly religion neh?
                      Bakdom the Afreet

Comment

(b) HARDSHIP AND DISABILITY- Deferments from national service under this Act may be made for--

(1) extreme hardship; or

(2) physical or mental disability.

(c) TRAINING CAPACITY- The President may postpone or suspend the induction of persons for military service under this Act as necessary to limit the number of persons receiving basic military training and education to the maximum number that can be adequately trained.

Maybe I'll get lucky and be considered physically inadequate. I hope. I have been known to perform physical activities that most people would think impossible for me to do just with a cursory look at me. I doubt I have a mental disability, though my memory is horrible and I tend to do lower quality work than my peers, (my peers are other people at my magnet school, and we mostly BS our way through school ). My only real talent is in math, and somewhat in computers. For computers, I would need too much training....

(a) QUALIFICATIONS- No person may be inducted for military service under this Act unless the person is acceptable to the Secretary concerned for training and meets the same health and physical qualifications applicable under section 505 of title 10, United States Code, to persons seeking original enlistment in a regular component of the Armed Forces.

Hmm....I have major allergy problems...I'm an all-year allergy guy. Does that exempt me for the health thing? *eyeshift*

I just felt like posting something...I really don't like this draft thing.

WAR IS EVIL!!!!

-----------------

Comment

i knew about this long before you posted it here i support it because we cant lay all the burden on the men and women serving in out military currently

if war is evil then all who raise guns against us fight for evil because they are fighting a jihad. all we want to do now is protect the civilans. yes we fought a war to remove a tryanicall ruler that is over. he gassed his own people killed them in their sleep.

terrorists fight a jihad against the freedoms you enjoy every day. prolly because they live a craptacular life and are taking their rage out against people who live a better life than they do.
                          Click Magus for luck

Comment

You have no idea what jihad is, do you? America handed the idea to them so that Afghans would fight communist Soviets.

Jihad is their word for a holy war. Basically, they believe that they are fighting this war by the will of Allah. We're fighting our war by the will of Bush.

This war was originally meant to get back at the Taliban for 9/11. Then it turned into trying to root out Saddam Hussein because he refused to dismantle all of his weapons of mass destruction or didn't cooperate or something. And the CIA had out-dated information concerning Hussein's weapon stuff. Now we're basically fighting to keep our troops in Iraq and they're fighting to get us out. Look, the lust for war has has died down now. I think the government just needs to get out of the Middle East. I don't see why we're over there in the first place. "Oh no, we've got to defend against Terrorism!" Well, with all of our troops over there, wouldn't another terrorist group think to attack the homeland?

We're trying too hard to spread Democracy. If this keeps up, it's going to fail because we spend too little on the education system and too much on military, navy, army et. al.

The 9/11 is over and we missed bin Laden...the way things are going, we're not gonna find him, simply because he knows we're out looking for him, and he knows where we're not looking. If ya ask me, just give up on supporting Israel. I mean, putting 'em back where they belong was a good idea on paper, but there's just too much hatred over there towards Israelites and us, (because we put them there). This is turning into us fighting the war for Israel, just like we fought the war for South Vietnam.

Edit: Oh, if you have paid attention at all to the non-proganda info out there, they are fighting to get us out of their part of the world and to stop supporting Israel.

-----------------

Comment

goverments that are based off the beliefs of a religion cannot rule properly
                              Click Magus for luck

Comment

Working...
                              X