Fix our clients!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix our clients!

Java clients- require java version 8 or older (this is unacceptable)

Alice client- No longer works to my knowledge. (This was the best to use imo)

Zealotry client- Works fine to my knowledge but some people do complain about it sometimes randomly crashing.

Flash client- Works, but blows. Requires the game to be reloaded every 30 minutes to hour or it begins to lag really bad.

Could we please have someone at skotos or tec staff work on these? Its really going to hinder the effort of reaching out to new players if the first few clients they try dont even work. It would also make a lot of us current players happy. We do spend a awful lot of money on this game after all and feel we should at least be given up to date clients to use.

Thank you.
    VOTE!!! TMS

http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/vo...e+Eternal+City

Originally posted by xiaozh
    There, I saw Neptune himself demonstrating Hypnoticus Pirate Style.
    Originally posted by SirLocke
    Hypnoticus and I remember a time when those that wield tridents were gods among mere mortal men.

Alice still works but only if you're using IE.

It's what I've always used.
    Flamboyant

Comment

Originally posted by Telvanni Guard View Post
      Alice still works but only if you're using IE.

It's what I've always used.
      I cant get it to work, just loads with a black screen.
      VOTE!!! TMS

Hypnoticus and I remember a time when those that wield tridents were gods among mere mortal men.

Comment

Posting for support.

Skotos should see this as a direct inhibitor to increased income generation.

Comment

I agree that a new client should be a top priority for game development.

Also, the Java client is very difficult to get working and introduces major security risks if someone does manage to get it working. This definitely should not be the first client listed on the website. It should be completely removed from the website until it is updated (if ever).
          [Success: 95, Roll: 5] Pharse swings a cestus-covered fist sideways, lashing out at you with the blades of his weapon, but misses. You use the broad head of your short whip to knock aside the attack with a brute-force swat.

Comment

Yes please!

Couldn't remember what the hell I did to get our Java clients working in 2013, been using Flash since our return and man does it lag out baaaaad.

Got recommended ActiveX by a mate IG that I asked, gave it a shot and just got a Black Screen, I didn't have a chance to look into it though and get it working, got recommended Zealotry by a very helpful person, and although the font was a bit un-crisp until size 8, I thought it ran okay until it dropped my connection.

Flash also frequently gives us Session was closed by remote host, and I've got a 150mb BB line with no uTorrent on at the time (I accounted uTorrent running for a couple of them maybe), but it's badly frequent. At first I thought it was GM's kicking us or something lol.

I know it's down to Skotos and not the GM's of TEC itself, but really they need a serious looking at, and/or get around to approving unauthorised clients that I hear work better (never tried any, but a few of them sounded pretty good).

It's been said before, it's all great us voting on Top MUDS, but if people try to play the game, Java>Newp (unless you're running older software, I'll give that a go, cheers!), ActiveX>maybe, Flash>Great until it slows down like a boss and Zealotry>Seems fine until it randomly crashes (twice within 20mins of my first time using it), it's frustrating for something you really want to play, but for something you're just giving a try for the first time, it's a reason to not bother.
            To be a true warrior is to accept your weakness, to work with your weakness, and to know that your enemy does not accept theirs...
            There you will find strength...

Comment

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...WebSockets_API

HTML5, broad modern browser support (including mobile), and I would suspect not terribly hard for any developer to interface with TEC. Disclaimer: aside from googling this to gather ideas, I have made zero effort to implement it and test its viability as a solution.

Will program for domii + rps, say 40k+?
              Got Questions? We've got answers!
              Join us at http://eternal-city.wikidot.com
              Top Mud Sites - http://bit.ly/VoteTEC
              Mud Connector - http://bit.ly/TECMudCon

Comment

Originally posted by hypnoticus View Post
                I cant get it to work, just loads with a black screen.
                It only works with the 32 bit version... which is no longer available. So I was forced to use the zealotry client which is okay, but no Alice.

Comment

At bare minimum the java clients need to be removed so no new players click on them and just assume the game doesn't work. And at the very least update/fix the alice client because I think we all agree it was the best one.

Can we get a GM or someone from skotos to chime in on the chances of this happening?
                  VOTE!!! TMS

Comment

I am able to use the Java client with no problems other than lowering my security settings on my firewall and staying with the oldest working version of Java I can use to play TEC. Should all the clients be updated? Hell yes! But try and keep them the same as the old ones as people have likes with the clients they use such as the compass or layout of Java.
                    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
                    Steven Hawkings

Comment

It's not just the clients either. Anyone else remember how to get past the "pick your top three" stupid thing on login? I did it last time but this time it won't let me. Or the logoff link? Apparently that doesn't work either.

Comment

Originally posted by ToothlessRebel View Post
                        It's not just the clients either. Anyone else remember how to get past the "pick your top three" stupid thing on login? I did it last time but this time it won't let me. Or the logoff link? Apparently that doesn't work either.

When asked to pick your top three press back.
                        Click on The Eternal City button on the left of the log in.
                        Open your client of choice.
                        Flamboyant

Comment

I did this it worked, but the log in top three = boo
                          "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeCP
                            Almost four and a half months later and the latest whisper about a client update comes from a player.
                            I believe we're at that point where saying something no longer matters. Getting results is the only option.
                            I actually did upgrade Zealotry last year, on December 21. It should have fixed the recent security issues. (There were also some bug fixes in the update that originated with Castle Marrach.) If there are any known bugs with Zealotry, feel free to send them to me at shannona@skotos.net, as that's the client we have a handle on. And apologies for not mailing you about the upgrade after I said I would. It was a hectic bit of fixing just before the holiday.

More broadly: I know the clients are an issue, and they're something we're investigating. I'm pretty sure there won't be a solution for the ActiveX client, which requires rewriting it for 64-bit, but I'm going to look into it a little bit more. As for Java, I need to see how much of what's going on is intractable Java security issues (and whether we ever got the source code from WAP). But we are looking actively at more options; when we have something more definite I'll make sure everyone hears about it.

Re: the Top3 issue: it was a result of the ongoing rewriting of web pages at Skotos. (It actually hadn't been rewritten yet, but something trickled through.) I did some emergency patching of those pages tonight when I heard about the problem, and have heard reports back that it's good again.

Re: the email verification: I *think* that's something I've tested since I've been rewriting, which means you should probably check your spam folders. (But I'll verify that in the morning.)

Comment

Would it be to far fetched to state that having a working client that runs like the current flash client is actually detrimental to TEC as a whole?

I personally want to claw my eyes out and throw my laptop across the room after 15 minutes of trying to use that client.

Comment

Working...
                              X