In Development: a new Skotos client

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Development: a new Skotos client

There's a new Skotos client in development, that'll come to Grendel's Revenge and The Eternal City first. More details and screenshots can be found in the main announcement.

Please feel free to post suggestions or ask questions that relate specifically to how the client will relate to TEC here. The base version of the client is designed to be similar to Alice and Zealotry, but it's intended to be customizeable, so if you've an idea, maybe I can make it happen. For example, I understand that the Java client has a weather indicator, and I plan to add a way to show weather status to the client.

The client wouldn't have made the recent progress it has without Sceadu pushing for it to happen - I've long had my eye on the client as a GM for Grendel's Revenge, but Sceadu worked over the last year to give me the support needed to change it from back-burner tinkering to a fully realized client. As someone with many such back-burner projects that often have trouble reaching the light of day, I thank him for giving me the focus to get one of them done.
    Wyrhtan, Grendel's Revenge GameMaster

i think it'd be nifty to have a side window in the client that would display the information in the short stats (ss) window, i.e. hps, fatigue, weight, approach status.

id definitely like to keep the map in the client since thats pretty useful

itd also be neat though i dont know if its possible to have a side window for chat with the auxilii and the gm/sg proclaim so that you dont clutter up your standard text window
    Slyteavisius says to Canadadry, "Did someone beat you while explaining how the Beatles were too emo for them or something?"

Rupert1 cheats, "Jeans are too loud. Nothing says stealth like light white cotton and sunflowers."

Originally Posted by urek23
    Rules only apply to specific people, something everyone that plays will learn very shortly after they start.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeCP
      I'd love to be able to use it on my Android.
      Originally posted by Wyrhtan View Post
      Yes, all the successful mobile tests have been on Android - specifically the newer ones with Google Chrome and/or Mozilla Firefox installed.

The old "Android Browser" that used to come bundled on Android phones (and sometimes still is, branded by manufacturer) doesn't have the required tech at all, not even an older version. The new client won't work there under the current design.
      I fooled around with it on both the newest android versions of Chrome & Firefox and it worked great, but apparently the "android browser" was a no-go.
      Game Master Tale
      Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

It would be really cool if you can implement the same kind of macro support that's in the Alice client (see here). These work in a different way than the standard macros supported by the game itself, and they're very useful for certain types of commands.

Another idea: It would be cool if you could see your actual HP or Fatigue numbers in the sidebar. Right now we have the @hps command, which causes the client to spit out your HP count every time you get hit, but it'd be cool if that number just showed up in the client GUI instead of the text frame.

Also, I'm not sure if this is game-related or client-related, but there are certain places where the map doesn't work with Alice - namely, Rock Valley. Around the middle of town, the map stops updating completely until you get to a different part of town.

Edit: ...And I forgot to say: This is so awesome. Thanks to everyone who's been helping out in any way with this project!
        [Success: 95, Roll: 5] Pharse swings a cestus-covered fist sideways, lashing out at you with the blades of his weapon, but misses. You use the broad head of your short whip to knock aside the attack with a brute-force swat.

Comment

Originally posted by celticdark View Post
          i think it'd be nifty to have a side window in the client that would display the information in the short stats (ss) window, i.e. hps, fatigue, weight, approach status.
          Some info is already shown in the bars - the red H for Health, yellow F for Fatigue, etc. Are you wanting actual numbers, or are you wanting other kinds of information represented too? Or are you wanting a pure-text version to use instead of the bars?
          • If you want a pure-text version of existing information, that can be done as an option you'd turn on. Let me know if this would be useful.
          • If you're wanting numbers in addition to the bars, that can be done with some work - Grendel's Revenge has numbers under its bars, although they make the bars take up more space.
          • If you're wanting new information, that can be done as well, though we'll need to figure out how to show it. I'd prefer all information be shown graphically by default - how would we show, for example, approach status?

id definitely like to keep the map in the client since thats pretty useful
          It's not going anywhere, unless the player chooses to turn it off. And speaking of maps, the one in the bottom-left is updateable over time in the new client, though it'll be up to the TEC staff to find time and art assets to take advantage of that.

itd also be neat though i dont know if its possible to have a side window for chat with the auxilii and the gm/sg proclaim so that you dont clutter up your standard text window
          Something like that is one of the three "text management" ideas that have been cut from initial release, but I plan to work on afterward.

I'd love to be able to use it on my Android.
          The few android tests done so far have worked great. Some older devices might have trouble, but we'll see as release is closer.

I'd love for it to have a compass I can click for walking.
          Depending on what you mean, I think it does already? The area with the sun in it has direction buttons on it that light up when you can move in a direction, and you can click them to move.

I'd love for the keyboard not to run away on me after I input a command.
          Can you tell me what you mean by this? I'm not sure what issue you are encountering.

Originally posted by Irisa View Post
          It would be really cool if you can implement the same kind of macro support that's in the Alice client (see here). These work in a different way than the standard macros supported by the game itself, and they're very useful for certain types of commands.
          Those aren't in the client at the moment, though I plan to implement them by release. I also have a couple ideas to improve them, but they're fairly low priority.

Another idea: It would be cool if you could see your actual HP or Fatigue numbers in the sidebar. Right now we have the @hps command, which causes the client to spit out your HP count every time you get hit, but it'd be cool if that number just showed up in the client GUI instead of the text frame.
          Grendel's Revenge already does something similar, and I'm now seeing this request in multiple places, so I'll put it strongly in the to-do list. I'll need to figure out a new way to arrange things to make it fit, though - if that ends up taking too much time, I may push it to after intitial release.

Also, I'm not sure if this is game-related or client-related, but there are certain places where the map doesn't work with Alice - namely, Rock Valley. Around the middle of town, the map stops updating completely until you get to a different part of town.
          Tale and I investigated this while I was creating the map for the new client. It's server-side, and I identified the cause, but the fix is something that's a bit tricky and might break something. I think either Sceadu or I might need to set aside some time to make a proper fix.

Comment

honestly i dont even bother looking at the bars (they never seem accurate to me and a 1 point fatigue drop or gain can make bar jump a good portion (roughly 10% of bar space) so id rather just have a group where the bars currently are being something like hp with 100/120 underneath, fatigue next to it with say 85% under it. pretty much having the short stats and the ac displays in a separate box without having to type ss or ac . while in a fight would be helpful. would also be great for keeping track of characters in a square without having to look or type ac . every few minutes (this can be a pain during an event or large gathering) if theres a certain person youre trying to keep an eye on.

that said, maybe an option to have one or the other would be nice (maybe both active at the same time if thats something people would want) though id prefer to get rid of the bars all together
            Slyteavisius says to Canadadry, "Did someone beat you while explaining how the Beatles were too emo for them or something?"

Rupert1 cheats, "Jeans are too loud. Nothing says stealth like light white cotton and sunflowers."

Rules only apply to specific people, something everyone that plays will learn very shortly after they start.

Comment

they never seem accurate to me and a 1 point fatigue drop or gain can make bar jump a good portion (roughly 10% of bar space)
              I wasn't aware of any inaccuracies in the existing client's display of the bars. If the problem is client-side, it might be fixed in the new client already; if not, I'll work to fix it. The problem might be server or network related, however - in this case, I'd investigate, but a fix might be out of my hands, unrelated to the client itself.

If the issue with updates to bars is related to the server or the network, the same problem would affect any text-based representation, too.

pretty much having the short stats and the ac displays in a separate box without having to type ss or ac
              The trick here is when to update this data - some of it might be hard for the server to keep reliably updated. I'll look into it with the TEC staff to figure out what works.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrhtan View Post
                I wasn't aware of any inaccuracies in the existing client's display of the bars. If the problem is client-side, it might be fixed in the new client already; if not, I'll work to fix it. The problem might be server or network related, however - in this case, I'd investigate, but a fix might be out of my hands, unrelated to the client itself.

If the issue with updates to bars is related to the server or the network, the same problem would affect any text-based representation, too.

The trick here is when to update this data - some of it might be hard for the server to keep reliably updated. I'll look into it with the TEC staff to figure out what works.
                what i mean is if you go from say 75% fatigue to 74% fatigue itll drop it a full percentage of the bar, im assuming to show that youve gotten to the next portion down or up instead of being a sliver each time up or down, ive been at 15% or so and had the bar show that i was at a 0% level

Comment

It would be awesome, though I don't play anymore, if you could make it so movement could be done from the numberpad. 8 being North, 4 West, 6 East, 2 South, so on and so forth. Basically like it was in the unsanctioned Tecracked client. Auto entered though so you don't have to hit enter as a macro would be. That's probably the one thing I like from that client that I missed with the others.
                  Amatoria crams a fist full of biscuits in her mouth.
                  You pick out a biscuit from some biscuits.
                  You consume the last of a biscuit.
                  Dragaxus says to you, "You know you're quite sexy when you do that."
                  Amatoria spits crumbs all over, "You're just saying that."

Typically, 9 times out of 10 in TEC you are bored you just dont realize it because your brain functions at a higher rate and it keeps you from thinking about the possibility that you are simply sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by HotMoltenLava View Post
                    make it so movement could be done from the numberpad. 8 being North, 4 West, 6 East, 2 South, so on and so forth ... Auto entered though so you don't have to hit enter as a macro would be.
                    Definitely doable. Maybe 5 for up, 0 for down? I assume some people would want this disabled when in the middle of typing something, so if they're in the habit of using the pad for entering numbers, it won't throw them off. I'll add the options for "always on", "always off", and "on only when there's no text in the input area". The question remains then, which to set as the default.

Comment

You've indicated that there will be options to hide things like the status bars and minimap. Will we have the option to turn off (or hide) basically EVERYTHING other than the main text screen and the text input box?

I ask because on occasion I've played at work, and a window full of just text is far more discreet than one framed by an ancient roman soldier and a hippie priestess.
                      Bah!

Comment

I meant that on the android accessible portion of the client I would love for the compass function to be available to the touch screen.
                        The compass works fine with touch events. A quick test suggests it might be a bit small to use easily, though, so an option for a larger compass will probably make release.

If I am entering commands with the phone's on screen keyboard I am generally involved in something. But Android natively will hide the keyboard on the screen to give me a better view of the content once I hit enter. The idea is to keep the keyboard open so I can keep inputting commands (playing).
                        The keyboard stays active at all times in the client, except when selecting text in scrollback.

Originally posted by Yuval View Post
                        You've indicated that there will be options to hide things like the status bars and minimap. Will we have the option to turn off (or hide) basically EVERYTHING other than the main text screen and the text input box?

I ask because on occasion I've played at work, and a window full of just text is far more discreet than one framed by an ancient roman soldier and a hippie priestess.
                        The current plan is that the logos will stay around one way or another, but everything else can be turned off. It probably won't be able to turn off both sidebars at once, until the mobile-focused efforts give the logos somewhere else to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuval View Post
                          Cover them with other text boxes or notepad documents.
                          Flamboyant

Comment

Im not sure if its been mentioned yet but is the new client going to have logs? Zealotry logs have been nonfunctional for a long time and ive been using flash for logs alone. Chemo brain sucks and there is no way i can remember everything so it helps me out having a log to look back at. Thanks for the work in this and the new client. Its long past due.

Comment

Some players told me last night that they hadn't noticed the main announcement - if you haven't seen it already, click here for a wall of text and some screenshots:

http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=110227

That said,
                              Originally posted by amface View Post
                              Im not sure if its been mentioned yet but is the new client going to have logs? Zealotry logs have been nonfunctional for a long time and ive been using flash for logs alone.
                              I consider logging essential functionality, and it will be there on release. That said, it'll require tradeoffs to work - either having an addon/plugin like Flash in the browser, or requiring the player to take extra steps to actually get them to files on disk. The plan is to let the player choose what tradeoffs work best for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X