No announcement yet.

In Development: a new Skotos client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd definitely like to see a weather/day night indicator. Also a "thirst" bar would be nice.
    VOTE!!! TMS

http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/vo...e+Eternal+City

Originally posted by xiaozh
    There, I saw Neptune himself demonstrating Hypnoticus Pirate Style.
    Originally posted by SirLocke
    Hypnoticus and I remember a time when those that wield tridents were gods among mere mortal men.

Comment

Originally posted by hypnoticus View Post
      I'd definitely like to see a weather/day night indicator.
      This one already exists on the Java version so it should be able to be put into the new one.
      Flamboyant

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrhtan View Post
        Definitely doable. Maybe 5 for up, 0 for down? I assume some people would want this disabled when in the middle of typing something, so if they're in the habit of using the pad for entering numbers, it won't throw them off. I'll add the options for "always on", "always off", and "on only when there's no text in the input area". The question remains then, which to set as the default.
        Most excellent. Options are always good. As for the keys, plus and minus for up and down, the 5 was an auto macro for look, which was really useful. Would those work? Great job as always.

Sidenote, I think I showed you this at some point, but if not, I did a critique of the available clients way back when, I don't know if it would be useful to you now or not, but you can give it a look. I went through all the pluses and minuses with all the various clients.

http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=73393
        Amatoria crams a fist full of biscuits in her mouth.
        You pick out a biscuit from some biscuits.
        You consume the last of a biscuit.
        Dragaxus says to you, "You know you're quite sexy when you do that."
        Amatoria spits crumbs all over, "You're just saying that."

Typically, 9 times out of 10 in TEC you are bored you just dont realize it because your brain functions at a higher rate and it keeps you from thinking about the possibility that you are simply sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by celticdark View Post
          what i mean is if you go from say 75% fatigue to 74% fatigue itll drop it a full percentage of the bar, im assuming to show that youve gotten to the next portion down or up instead of being a sliver each time up or down, ive been at 15% or so and had the bar show that i was at a 0% level
          This is a good point - the bars in Alice only have something like 6 or 7 visual levels, so they "jump" downward by a noticeable amount when you drop below certain fatigue/HP thresholds. For example, if you have like anywhere from 83%-100% HP, the bar appears to be completely full.

Would be nice if the bars could have more smooth/fluid movement that more accurately represented the current HP/fatigue level.

Lots of great ideas in this thread so far.
          [Success: 95, Roll: 5] Pharse swings a cestus-covered fist sideways, lashing out at you with the blades of his weapon, but misses. You use the broad head of your short whip to knock aside the attack with a brute-force swat.

Comment

A few updates:

Hotkeys:
            Hotkeys are now working in the new client. They'll default to off, so as to not interfere with any existing macros that make use of the number pad. When hotkeys are turned on, they can be set to either "always work" (so you can hit a quick hotkey in the middle of typing something) or "only when the input area is blank" (so you can use the number pad as a part of entering commands).

The hotkeys are set with 5 to look, and + and - to go up/down. The number pad has more keys, however, and I'm pondering if we should use them, and for what. Perhaps inventory, examine here, and exits (the last one being useful for those with walking look turned off)? I want these to be commands that work across all games, so nothing TEC-specific like ss (though maybe I'll add a way to customize what the hotkeys do sometime after release).

Bar Accuracy:
            It took a bit of doing, but I understand what's going on now - Irisa's description is pretty much how I'd describe it. I'm used to the GR bars, which are more accurate, so it caught me off guard.

I've gotten the go-ahead from Sceadu to try to bump up the accuracy for TEC, and I've found a way to do it that should work for all clients. However, I need someone who uses the Java client to help me test, to make sure the change doesn't have any negative effects on it.

Additional upgrades related to the info in the bars are still planned, but getting the baseline bars more useful is a good place to start.
            Wyrhtan, Grendel's Revenge GameMaster

Comment

Can we get a round time bar like GR?

Comment

Well this is great news, massive thanks to you Wyrhtan and Sceadu for pushing this!

As you've already touched on the Java's weather window (We were avid users of the Java client up until our very recent return last month), and as you've made it so you can flip the interaction stuffs on the left or right-side, how much of a pain in the arse would it be to have the option to flip it to the bottom, so the layout could be similar to Java? (But with the live mini-map added)

I love the mini-map of Flash/Zealotry, the cleanliness and sharpness of Flash but the lagginess of it made me switch it for Zealotry.
                I just used Java for so long, that every other layout seems weird, haha.

That weather/lighting window really helped my immersion and 'feel' the environment, funny what a picture of a torch, rainy clouds, sunny day or starry night can do to the mind.

I wonder what it'd be like if that weather/lighting window could be expanded to the background/sidebar areas, oooooooh.... lol

Great ideas, and thanks for trying to implement people's needs and wants, it's real thoughtful and awesome of you.
                To be a true warrior is to accept your weakness, to work with your weakness, and to know that your enemy does not accept theirs...
                There you will find strength...

Comment

Originally posted by Syden View Post
                  Can we get a round time bar like GR?
                  Sounds reasonable. Will depend on how the TEC server handles roundtimes; if there's no problems getting the server to to send the info to the client, I'll add that in. No promises until I research that, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubey View Post
                    as you've made it so you can flip the interaction stuffs on the left or right-side, how much of a pain in the arse would it be to have the option to flip it to the bottom, so the layout could be similar to Java?
                    I really wanted to do this, but optional bars on both the sides and the top/bottom pushed the limit of how complicated I could make the layout system while still developing the client. I plan to return to this at some point, but I don't expect it to make the initial release.
                    Originally posted by Jubey View Post
                    That weather/lighting window really helped my immersion and 'feel' the environment, funny what a picture of a torch, rainy clouds, sunny day or starry night can do to the mind.

I wonder what it'd be like if that weather/lighting window could be expanded to the background/sidebar areas, oooooooh.... lol
                    Being able to add things like this helped get me interested in clients in the first place. That said, while I have my own ideas planned, I'd like to learn more about how the Java client did things. So far I've not been able to get it to run on my (fairly locked down) machines. I've seen a few screenshots, but it's not quite the same as seeing it in action.

Comment

This sounds great, cheers for all your work so far mate

Comment

Wyrhtan, not sure if this will help, but I use Java. I have a Windows 7 machine and have to use Version 7 Update 67 (build 1.7.0_67-b01) of Java to make it work for TEC, as well as adding TEC to the whiteboard and lowering my security in Java to High
                        I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
                        Steven Hawkings

Comment

Turning off all sidebars and images is one thing I'd wish for. Though it sounds like that isn't going to happen.
                          TRproclaim power!

Originally posted by Armataan
                          Did I just get told Synodia was a better RPed character than Culexus?
                          Originally posted by Bucaria
                          The player of Synodia should be made a GM, he seems to have no favorites and hates everyone equally.

Comment

I really enjoy the look of the Java Client toolbar. I wish that it could be implemented into any future clients.

The Eternal City: Screenshots
                            Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Metharus View Post
                              I really enjoy the look of the Java Client toolbar. I wish that it could be implemented into any future clients.
                              I second that.
                              Amatoria crams a fist full of biscuits in her mouth.
                              You pick out a biscuit from some biscuits.
                              You consume the last of a biscuit.
                              Dragaxus says to you, "You know you're quite sexy when you do that."
                              Amatoria spits crumbs all over, "You're just saying that."

Typically, 9 times out of 10 in TEC you are bored you just dont realize it because your brain functions at a higher rate and it keeps you from thinking about the possibility that you are simply sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

Comment

I think this effort is an excellent show that Skotos wants to actually give its players value for the money they pay. Any idea of when this will start to be beta tested/released?

Comment

Working...
                                X