New forum sucks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New forum sucks

As stated, this new forum sucks. Horrible plain layout, none of my threads update and always show "new posts!" that are old ones i read 2 weeks ago still.

I miss the old forums.
    Argued with GM Tale on forums.
    Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
    Skotos didn't care.

Originally posted by Elowynn
    It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
    Originally posted by Tale
    My apologies to Glenh.

I think the forum is great. The layout looks nice, it's way more accessible on the phone, we even have avatars. I don't miss the old forum.

However, there are a few weird things going on for me too. I was just assuming maybe the upgrade isn't finished yet and those issues will be worked out eventually. But for example:
    • The Latest Activity feed seems to show a random selection of recent stuff, but some things are missing. Like right now I see this thread on Latest Activity and another thread from today, but not Tale's minor changes update.
    • All the threads that have been commented in since the forum upgrade also keep showing up blue with the "contains unread posts" tooltip in the sub-forums, even though I've opened those threads and read the posts.

Comment

I think it's a pain to scroll through compared to the other. But hey. Avatars. Whatever.
      Flamboyant

Comment

It's ugly... but hey have to do something with the subscription fees they've collected.
        Originally Posted by Herdias86
        [Success: 5, Roll: 58] You step forward, grasping your retalq axe in one hand tightly and lifting it above your head, before striking downwards in a powerful blow aimed at a gladiator! Critical Hit! Thrust to the face leaves a gladiator bleeding profusely from the cheek!
        Originally posted by ArchMagi
        your chopping motion turned into a straight thrust, cool trick that.
        Troll Fail level OVER 9000!

Originally posted by glenh
        True, and i guess it could kill my character if i argue too much with you.
        Sooooo much win!

Comment

the blue folders indicating new posts are extremely hard to see and differentiate from the rest of the page. It's a pain to see what's new, and have to check each thread to see when the "Today" post was

Comment

Yeah, you're forced to scroll to the bottom and see what is newly posted... the folders don't seem to update even after clicking on them.
            Originally Posted by Herdias86
            [Success: 5, Roll: 58] You step forward, grasping your retalq axe in one hand tightly and lifting it above your head, before striking downwards in a powerful blow aimed at a gladiator! Critical Hit! Thrust to the face leaves a gladiator bleeding profusely from the cheek!
            Originally posted by ArchMagi
            your chopping motion turned into a straight thrust, cool trick that.
            Troll Fail level OVER 9000!

Originally posted by glenh
            True, and i guess it could kill my character if i argue too much with you.
            Sooooo much win!

Comment

I just swapped over to a different methodology for noting what you've read. It's what we've been using at RPGnet for a while (and I hadn't realized it wasn't on by default here with the upgrade). You should see it's much more useful now, once you start reading things again.

Comment

Why can't we check the threads updates on our "my account" page anymore?
                Vinian whispers to you, "[ brb just had a naked guy fall into my backyard....WTF!! ]"

Je suis Charlie

Comment

I've reported that the "my account" isn't showing forum updates since the switch. Presumably it'll get fixed once the other forum upgrades are done.
                  Mea squints at you, "For a magical nudist he sure is carrying lots of pie."

Comment

honestly id much rather go back to the old forum. i never had issues with that, and it always worked well on the couple dozen phones id used over the years
                    Slyteavisius says to Canadadry, "Did someone beat you while explaining how the Beatles were too emo for them or something?"

Rupert1 cheats, "Jeans are too loud. Nothing says stealth like light white cotton and sunflowers."

Originally Posted by urek23
                    Rules only apply to specific people, something everyone that plays will learn very shortly after they start.

Comment

I like the new forums only for the search function, since it was very slow on the old ones. That being said, it is really difficult to tell if anything is new in these forums. Could the icon be made larger or more contrasting between unviewed and viewed?
                      No time for this - there are artifacts to find!

Comment

My biggest gripe with the new Forums is the fact that none of the old links redirect in any way. The amount of bookmarks I have for threads, links in previous threads etc that no longer work.

I also reported that the Search function was a bit grubby, but it turns out it's cured when you login. Still though, when you search for something as a guest and then try to click on the second page of search results, it takes you back to the search page and says you need to enter the question, over and over. If it could be switched to "you need to login to be able to fully utilise the search function" or something instead, that'd be grand.

We've been using the old Forums for so long that we're mostly bias, change is good and advancement should be kept in a constructive mindset, reporting bugs and problems so they can fine-tune it.

I had the same thing with a very large computer related forums a few years back, they overhauled OCN's forum in a similar fashion and it was disliked by the majority. With the new forums came new options, colourisation and customisation settings and the likes. Now we've had ample time to get used to them and they ironed out the kinks and added functionality, it's all good.
                        I'm sure these ones will be the same at some point.

But yeah, right now I don't like 'em either. Lol
                        To be a true warrior is to accept your weakness, to work with your weakness, and to know that your enemy does not accept theirs...
                        There you will find strength...

Comment

I think alot of us still play from nostalgia, so any change is scary.
                          Argued with GM Tale on forums.
                          Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
                          Skotos didn't care.

Originally posted by Elowynn
                          It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
                          Originally posted by Tale
                          My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubey View Post
                            My biggest gripe with the new Forums is the fact that none of the old links redirect in any way. The amount of bookmarks I have for threads, links in previous threads etc that no longer work.
                            Old bookmarks and links are working fine for me. There seems to be some kind of redirection going on behind the scenes; for example, when I click my bookmarked link to Iridinian laws: 12 tables (http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.p...ailtime+crimes), it redirects to the new forum URL automatically (http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...ailtime+crimes).

Maybe it's a browser or javascript issue or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Irisa View Post

Old bookmarks and links are working fine for me. There seems to be some kind of redirection going on behind the scenes; for example, when I click my bookmarked link to Iridinian laws: 12 tables (http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.p...ailtime+crimes), it redirects to the new forum URL automatically (http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...ailtime+crimes).

Maybe it's a browser or javascript issue or something like that?
                              Hahaha sweet! They weren't redirecting at all, literally up to right before I posted, I checked again prior.

I figured they'd sort it in due time as with any kinks, and wasn't moaning about it, just thought incase they had an influx of other people sending to CE@skotos.net I'd pop it here too, incase they weren't aware of it at the time.

They were probabably doing it anyway, just happened to coincide with after I posted haha, awesome. Good job guys and thanks!
                              To be a true warrior is to accept your weakness, to work with your weakness, and to know that your enemy does not accept theirs...
                              There you will find strength...

Comment

Working...
                              X