No announcement yet.

New forum sucks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here I was just happy that there's a like button.
    Amatoria crams a fist full of biscuits in her mouth.
    You pick out a biscuit from some biscuits.
    You consume the last of a biscuit.
    Dragaxus says to you, "You know you're quite sexy when you do that."
    Amatoria spits crumbs all over, "You're just saying that."

Typically, 9 times out of 10 in TEC you are bored you just dont realize it because your brain functions at a higher rate and it keeps you from thinking about the possibility that you are simply sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

Comment

1) #1 thing is that the "recent activity" list of posts is super unreliable. It is so hard to see what's new. Some recent posts show up, some don't. Without an easy way to check if there have been new posts, folks won't check on the forums. Then folks don't make posts. Then folks don't reply to posts. Dead zone.

2) "Post reply" isn't easily accessible at the bottom. Have to scroll all the way back up to log in. Don't like this. Another tiny time consuming change that is a deterrent to posting.

3) Hard to click to last post in a thread.

4) Posts let me "upload attachments" but then don't actually let me use that feature, due to permissions. Weird.

Comment

It's sad to say but, can we have the old technology back as far as the forums go? This setup is horrible to use on my phone, and as stated before it's not consistent. And the look really does suck. I'd rather any time spent on this would've gone towards working clients (I know this is in the works).
        Slyteavisius says to Canadadry, "Did someone beat you while explaining how the Beatles were too emo for them or something?"

Rupert1 cheats, "Jeans are too loud. Nothing says stealth like light white cotton and sunflowers."

Originally Posted by urek23
        Rules only apply to specific people, something everyone that plays will learn very shortly after they start.

Comment

I don't really care what platform we use, as long as I can easily read new posts. If we can't get it to work on this new platform, I'd rather go back to the old one.

Can someone from Skotos give an update on what's going on regarding "recent activity"? Shannon?

Comment

My understanding is that the servers were a collection of aging technologies that depended on each other, and the security/stability/support status was getting too out of date to be very sustainable. The way the parts depended on each other made it something of an "all or nothing" proposition, and, well, "nothing" was no longer an option.

I know Shannon intends to bring the forum more in line with what we had before, combining the best of the old and the new, though I don't know what specific changes are planned or feasible. There's been a temporary hold on changes to the forum, but that should be over soon.

One thing about the new forum tech is that it tries (on purpose) to appear differently for different users, which can be a good thing for some people, but makes it harder to get an understanding an issues that only some people see. And some issues won't appear for people who use the forums differently. Therefore, to help resolve issues, these two things can help:
            1. Post the browser/device you use (or better yet, your UserAgent string).
            2. Post screenshots. If you need a decent image host, Imgur is my current favorite (use what you want though, just avoid Photobucket or TinyPic if you can).
            Wyrhtan, Grendel's Revenge GameMaster

Comment

My biggest complaint is that every time I click on a link using my phone, the keyboard pops up and the screen zooms in on the upper left hand corner.

Using a Galaxy Edge 7
              Originally Posted by Herdias86
              [Success: 5, Roll: 58] You step forward, grasping your retalq axe in one hand tightly and lifting it above your head, before striking downwards in a powerful blow aimed at a gladiator! Critical Hit! Thrust to the face leaves a gladiator bleeding profusely from the cheek!
              Originally posted by ArchMagi
              your chopping motion turned into a straight thrust, cool trick that.
              Troll Fail level OVER 9000!

Originally posted by glenh
              True, and i guess it could kill my character if i argue too much with you.
              Sooooo much win!

Comment

Here's an example. Lykatos posted to the forum "game world," but it doesn't appear under latest activity - even though with the time stamps shown, it should. You can see his post at the top of the screenshot.
                https://imgur.com/fOo5CW6

My browser info: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0

Comment

Incidentally, when I tried to post that imgur URL with the link functionality in the forum, it complained that it wasn't a valid URL.

Comment

Any chance we can get an update on this? Recent activity still doesn't consistently show new posts. Hate to say it, but it seems like forum activity is down lately and that drop kinda coincides with the forum upgrade. It would help so much if recent activity worked. I know I miss new stuff all the time and only see it days later.
                    Last edited by GinaDana; 05-28-2016, 10:47 AM. Reason: Dang typos.

Comment

There has been a seemingly steep decline in activity ever since the new forums were introduced, which really is a shame. The forums are a huge source of information and in my opinion critical to learning/moving forward in the game (if you don't have 10 years of experience or so). Maybe if people are willing to post their own reasons for why they don't visit/post as much, we can figure out some constructive feedback on the matter.

For me, why I don't visit the forums too much anymore is because I used to do it from the premium page. Simply seeing an interesting topic or poster flash by made me visit more.

After that, it's that the forum doesn't have any easy way to browse like before. This is due to the much discussed "latest posts" feature not working correctly.

Beyond that, I have to log in every time instead of my premium page credentials being good enough like they used to be. That's not a big problem, but a recurring inconvenience.

The search function also doesn't seem to work as well as before, though I'm trying to put my finger on what's bugging me about it.

Comment

The reason I (and a few people I've talked to) don't post is that outside of a minor tweek or change here and there nothing has really changed in a while, so using the built in search or bing/google you can find what you need. Mechanical questions don't get definitive answers and the updates are posted in a segment where we can't comment or directly post on. Small banter and back and forth exchanges happen IG, WA or via messengers/phones... even the "other" forum where things were more lax died. Also most of the colorful characters/personalities have stopped posting or playing so you don't get that quirky random post or topic.

Even before the switch, the forums were dying, with the exception of the Crit and Lol posts there was no new activity for days and weeks at a time. It doesn't help that the new format is ugly and seems like a step backwards... but it isn't the blame for this place being a ghost town.
                        Originally Posted by Herdias86
                        [Success: 5, Roll: 58] You step forward, grasping your retalq axe in one hand tightly and lifting it above your head, before striking downwards in a powerful blow aimed at a gladiator! Critical Hit! Thrust to the face leaves a gladiator bleeding profusely from the cheek!
                        Originally posted by ArchMagi
                        your chopping motion turned into a straight thrust, cool trick that.
                        Troll Fail level OVER 9000!

Originally posted by glenh
                        True, and i guess it could kill my character if i argue too much with you.
                        Sooooo much win!

Comment

"Recent Activity" seems to be working for me now. Yay!

Comment

I agree that the new forums suck big time.

Comment

Working...
                            X