Player agency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player agency

Lately, there's been an increase in people asking for more events. While most playerbase-wide events would require GM support, i was thinking that maybe there could be a way players themselves would set up something.

What if the playable NPC's would be able to exert a little more control over the world? Say a ruffian could gather other normal NPC's around him? Form some kind of group and travel places, start creating a ruckus to form a story?

Or an urchin, being able to trigger a matron to panic and think out that the little one is missing or has run away, while the urchin is zipping about town.

Maybe allow for auto-generated broken bones, changes in spawn area so ruffians could spawn in Franlius and re might not be a shiny reward at the end, but personally I don't think that's what storylines are about.

Good idea. There are a limited number of crime oriented schemes going on but its difficult finding reliable players to participate.

Comment

I've seen a few similar player-run ad-hoc events. The players do try very hard to add a sense of immersion and fun to the gameworld but it's hit and miss on how many other people want to participate. Urchin, Trader and Sailor NPC's are usually the best options for this type of roleplay since they're cheap, persistent and aren't restricted, but since none of them are reasonable fighters (even sailors), it makes it difficult to add a combat aspect to the event. I forget if Gladiators are restricted to the Arena or not. Any way, the best ones I've seen are where a lot of prep time has gone into the event before hand, like writing notes on papers, hiding things in certain places, and basically leading people on an intriguing scavenging hunt. The problem is people get bored of this same style of event happening over and over.

I doubt this would ever happen, but if we could see at least one of the two changes I think it could really help support these types of events:
      1) Customizing the display name of your PNPC (or at least auto-generating them). For instance an Urchin would be "a young boy with messy brown hair", a trader would be "a bright-eyed man with a comforting smile". Something like the scar generator would be nice where you select different options to end up with the description you want.

2) A one-time toggle for moving to the "Dark side". Basically allowing your PC character to turn (permanently) into a bad guy. NPC bandits wont attack you, but you'll be killed on sight by any NPC lawkeeper/soldier instead of arrested. If there were any way to allow this to apply to only one hunting ground, that would be more realistic. You would walk into say, the bandit woods and type @go-rogue or something similar, then a prompt would say "Going rogue in this location will assign you as a member of the Forrest Bandits, are you sure you want to do this?". This way only forrest bandits are friendly to you, and wild animals and other NPC groups will still be hostile. I'm not sure allowing a reverse version of toggle would be a good thing for say, "A cineran heavy solider" PNPC if he wanted to defect...

Comment

if you want to be a forest bandit, make a forest bandit, if you want to be a sailor, be a sailor. There's no reason to allow an urchin to become a forest bandit, when you can just make a forest bandit.

Comment

Talking about normal PC's that you're ready to @chopping block, or have designed from the start to be a "Bad guy" to add to the game world. the problem with "urchins", "sailors", and even "forest bandits" is that their ranks are so low you literally cannot pvp with anything other than the top tier PNPC's, and most of those are restricted to Franlius. Also, you can never gain sp to become a more dangerous foe.You'd need three people buying Black Hand cave bandits to team up together to have a chance at taking down top PC fighters. Even then, very likely you'll all just be losing a lot of rps.

the PNPC thing I was talking about was purely just a cosmetic change of the name so instead of seing "an urchin walks in" you see "a young scraggly boy walks in", just to give a little more livelihood and uniqueness to them. I think it would also keep people on their toes as they never really know if it's a GM or a PNPC - not that it -should- matter, but we all know the truth of that

Comment

for some, it does matter, for others, it doesn't, I'm one of the people it doesn't matter for. Unless it's something to do with my character personally, I'll treat gm/sg characters the same as everyone else, won't give them my stuff, unless I don't want it back, and everyone's a person. even actual npcs, that aren't controlled.

I do however not object in the slightest to the cosmetic change, I was only objecting to a toggle to make npcs of certain groups not attack you, because if you want to be in those groups, make one. Forest bandits are supposed to suck, it's a low level hunting zone. Nothing wrong with the occasional invasion of rogues and bears, but to be able to turn your top end character into a bandit that the other bandits like, just because you flip a switch? nah, just put it on the chopping block, and tale will take care of it, eventually.

Comment

Working...
            X