Cannot login

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot login

I wanted to try this mud out but have not been able to login. I have tried several linux mud clients and can load up tec.skotos.net:6730 but it says the user does not exist or the password is incorrect but I am able to login to the skotos.net website with my username and password. I even changed the password a few times to try again. I have been at this here and there since Friday. I made a forum account in the hopes of getting some feedback. I also sent an email to ce@skotos.net but it was Friday evening, so I don't expect to hear from them until tomorrow at the earliest but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

I should add that I cannot use the Zealotry client because whenever I try to download the add-on for my firefox, it says it stopped the install because it is corrupt.

Comment

So I managed to download google-chrome-stable_48.0.2564.116-1_i386.deb as the last 32-bit version of Chrome released, which has flash support. I have successfully loaded the game up this way. It is a year old, so it is kind of a pain that it is not an updated piece. So I am still open to suggestions on how to get the game working with either Zealotry not being corrupt or how to get logging in successful on a linux mud client.

Comment

The external client option is not officially supported and semi-taboo on the forums. At least publicly. There's some folk willing to lend a hand there, but I'm not pointing any fingers.
        Firefox version as of 42 (I think) doesn't require the signed version of the extension, and as such doesn't complain. It's also more recent than the version of Chrome you're using. I am willing to help more with Zealotry, but would have to check some stuff on my home computer.

Every player knows the clients supported here are craptastic. At least one of the staff announced a new one coming. I don't know the timeline on that.

Comment

Zealotry works well with Firefox, there is a slight delay, but it's the best official client since Alice can't really be used anymore.
          Originally Posted by Herdias86
          [Success: 5, Roll: 58] You step forward, grasping your retalq axe in one hand tightly and lifting it above your head, before striking downwards in a powerful blow aimed at a gladiator! Critical Hit! Thrust to the face leaves a gladiator bleeding profusely from the cheek!
          Originally posted by ArchMagi
          your chopping motion turned into a straight thrust, cool trick that.
          Troll Fail level OVER 9000!

Originally posted by glenh
          True, and i guess it could kill my character if i argue too much with you.
          Sooooo much win!

Comment

The fact that external clients are still taboo on the forums is sad considering how awful the provided ones are. This guys case is a prime example of how to kill your game. At this point would staff actually complain if a link and instructions were provided to download and use something that at least functions?

Comment

Originally posted by Lantraste View Post
              The fact that external clients are still taboo on the forums is sad considering how awful the provided ones are. This guys case is a prime example of how to kill your game. At this point would staff actually complain if a link and instructions were provided to download and use something that at least functions?
              I'm too addicted. You try it.

Comment

Also, the Firefox version that didn't complain for me 47.0.1

Comment

The flash client is working but I have to reload it every so often because it lags out so bad. I will type in a command and it will take 10 seconds to input the command before I can send it and then after I send it, it will take a bit before it loads up the text coming back from the command I input. It is as if the full text from the sessions slows down the client hardcore.

I will see if I can download firefox 47.0.1. The specific error I had was that the add-on was corrupt, thus it refused to attempt to install it. I am not sure if that is the same type of error as there not being a signature on the add-on but I will try it out. Does Zealotry have the same sort of buffer lag where you have to reload the client every so often because the buffer slows?

For either client, if that is the case, I wish there was a way to limit the buffer to only 30 lines or something so as not to create client side lag from the text buffer. Especially since the combat in this game is a lot of text and fills up the screen pretty quickly. I am not complaining about the combat type, just noting that the client gets congested pretty quick.

Am I the only one with this problem?

I am liking the game so far but this reloading thing is a huge turn off for me. I have been trying out several muds and the features for this one had some unique features and world setting, so I was drawn to it but it isn't enough to get past this having to reload so often. I am hoping to find a solution for this issue.

Comment

Firefox/Zealotry is the best official client. Flash is known to lag pretty bad, but Zealotry does not. Certain commands may jam it up every now and then (INV for inventory most especially), but there's no where near as much lag or the need to reload like Flash. Unless you've been playing for like 4+ hours straight, which I never do...

Comment

I went to Mozilla's ftp and got the 32-bit linux 47.0.1 version of firefox. I had to toggle my wifi off so that I could change the setting to not autoupdate because I first decompressed and it autoupdated right away. So I got it to stay 47.0.1 and had a successful install of Zealotry. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks for the version tip.

Comment

Originally posted by zke View Post
                        I went to Mozilla's ftp and got the 32-bit linux 47.0.1 version of firefox. I had to toggle my wifi off so that I could change the setting to not autoupdate because I first decompressed and it autoupdated right away. So I got it to stay 47.0.1 and had a successful install of Zealotry. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks for the version tip.
                        Zealotry is pretty reliable. All of them have quirks. You'll still have to possible reload the client after periods of intense scrolling, but it's much more rare. Several hours continuously playing and it's only one in three sessions or so it becomes required. Also, it has an issue sometimes with not returning to normal fonts after a style change (like text that is read in game as monospace) or formatting (like the inventory list). Sometimes reissuing the command the command that caused the style/formatting will cause it to return to normal when it returns sometimes not.

Welcome to TEC and have a blast. It's a great game, just showing its age a bit.

Comment

Working...
                        X