No announcement yet.

Conversation about RPS and player base?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversation about RPS and player base?

One of the conversations I hope we can have as a community this year is about the role point accumulation rate. As someone who hadn't paid in awhile (plenty of reasons for it), I re-upped for a month or two. It was great to get the story points and actually have a role point accumulation rate again. But that's where my heart sort of sank. As a premium member, I get 4 rps/ hour.

To get a stat boosts, that's 250 hours non-idling time in TEC. To get a skill slot for one of my characters, that's 1,500 rps, equating to 375 hours non-idling time in TEC. These numbers alone made me not want to even bother. The holiday bonus of double RPS made the math more manageable and I think the base rates should be increased for everyone.

I get thats RPS are for those that pay so they can earn extra goodies, but given the small playerbase, what would be the harm in doubling the standard RP rate? It may get some people back playing and paying, which is great for the community. It'd also mean people could get some perks for their characters which I don't think is a bad thing.

I just struggle with playing two hours a day for 6 months, just to hit that skill slot. These numbers of course are at the premium rate. Double the hours if you're on a non-premium paying account.

(And yes, I left out the story points. It helps, but not that much)

Anyone else think this would be a good thing for the community and to get people playing more?
    <Tivan thinks aloud: No offense, I'd rather take it from behind by an eyeless humanoid from twilight...guess I'll get them myself.>

Haggard squeaks to MindThrasher, "My only regret about lanc dying...is that Kjel was at the toga.."

Fidellus whispers something to Lucarnes.
    Carefully reading his lips, you make out the words "I liked it, but I have a thing for blondes in catholic school girl skirts

A woman in a slinky red nightgown flirts to you, "Bears are repulsive."

nope, I don't think it'd have any affect on people playing more. That's just my opinion though.
    A better game would get people playing more, an active staff that interacts with the players with more things than just trying to kill you off with random attacks of high level npcs would get people playing more.

Gotta take into account that this is a text game, that's around 20 years out of date, in order to encourage people to play a text game, over one of the new games, you need a great game first, bonus points second.

Comment

It's still an incredible game, even if it is 20 years old and has no graphics, there is still so much untapped potential. The world building, the combat system, the non-com skills sets, it all allows for such freedom that you can't get from other games. Maybe i'm still caught in nostalgia of the glory days that was 50-100 people logged in...
      Any thing skotos could do to bring in more players would create an exponential in my opinion. Once more people are playing, more people will want to play and continue to play, and the game will thrive. It's sad we're not even on the MUD top 20 any more.

Comment

I'm one of those who plays -more- when there's double rps because it motivates me to log in and easily gain rps. But it's part of the perks of the 'promotional' each month. Also, promotional are there to make players either pay for basic or upgrade to premium where it is beneficial to them & their characters. I used to only pay if I read there is double rps or upgrade my account to premium so I pay less in rps. Maybe, instead of increase the rate to double.. increase it to 1-2 rps/hr and it could be based on how old an account is.

So, yes it sucks at the current rate where you pay to gain rps but yet it gets you nowhere unless you've clocked in hundred of hours of game play. Technically, I don't think the game itself will 'lose money/anything' if rps/hr gets a boost. We all pay to get the most out of our dollars anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by The_thief View Post
          Any thing skotos could do to bring in more players would create an exponential in my opinion. Once more people are playing, more people will want to play and continue to play, and the game will thrive. It's sad we're not even on the MUD top 20 any more.
          This. Just about every game (and business) will attempt things to get players back. I say why not this? It doesn't cost the game anything. We set such a high bar for a custom text item that it's like we don't want anyone to have anything that someone else doesn't have. I think it'd be great to see more custom everything. They should be handed out more. I'd honestly play more if I was getting more than 4 rps an hour because I have a purpose for what I would want to do with them.
          <Tivan thinks aloud: No offense, I'd rather take it from behind by an eyeless humanoid from twilight...guess I'll get them myself.>

Haggard squeaks to MindThrasher, "My only regret about lanc dying...is that Kjel was at the toga.."

Fidellus whispers something to Lucarnes.
          Carefully reading his lips, you make out the words "I liked it, but I have a thing for blondes in catholic school girl skirts

A woman in a slinky red nightgown flirts to you, "Bears are repulsive."

Comment

I told the GM by request that I would pay for premium if they increased my RP per hour, but I'm not going to pay premium for 4rps per hour....

I'm just as veteran as any of my friends who play only difference is, because of running out of slots rolling, and having created alt accounts to roll characters, i ended up changing accounts so many times in the last 20 years, making new chars that I don't have a veteran account...

the one i do have... I can remember the password for it... nor the email for it.... but anyways...

Yea i'm not paying premium for 4rps an hour....

i'm suprised if Skotos is a business that money doesn't talk.... that's an extra 18$ per month from somebody....

but they didn't reply to my request for it..

So i'm on basic, and soon going to freebie once I get my character slots rearranged.

Comment

Working...
            X