Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks for the warning prior to the Disconnection of the servers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the warning prior to the Disconnection of the servers.

Seriously.

I thought it was just me for a couple of minutes there. Whoa.

Comment

You're welcome!
      MULTIPLE DOWNTIMES FOR ALL GAMES [UPDATED: REST OF PHASE 1 TIMES]

Unfortunately, the whole computing world is facing a major crisis right now thanks to Intel and other major processors missing critical security flaws in their architecture. As a result, our ISP is doing a set of emergency updates to all of their hardware. We are getting about a day's notice on this, and we're told that they're going to need to patch each machine multiple times, which very inconveniently means multiple downtimes.

Our TEC and GR games have always been the most vulnerable to downtime, so I'm going to take the care to cleanly shutdown and restart those.

GR: Sunday, Midnight (all times are PT) DONE
      TEC: Monday, 10PM

Expect the games to go down 10 minutes before the downtime, to be safe.

The other games tend to be cleaner, so I'm going to let them restart on their own:

Lovecraft: Monday, 9PM
      Lazarus: Monday, 9PM
      Web Site: Monday, 11PM [this will affect all logins & usage of the new TEC client]
      TEC Client: Tuesday, 9PM
      USERDB (site login): Tuesday night, midnight

The upgrade windows have all been less than 30 minutes to date, so you can expect games and/or services will be back up within 35-40 minutes of the hour.

I believe this is now a complete list of the first phase of updates, but there will be a second in the near future.

Shannon

Comment

Well since Scedu's original post had the times off, and then this happened. At least a mass message IG, "Hey, it's shutting down in 10 minutes, FYI! "

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
          You're welcome!

Unfortunately, the whole computing world is facing a major crisis right now thanks to Intel and other major processors missing critical security flaws in their architecture. As a result, our ISP is doing a set of emergency updates to all of their hardware. We are getting about a day's notice on this, and we're told that they're going to need to patch each machine multiple times, which very inconveniently means multiple downtimes.

Our TEC and GR games have always been the most vulnerable to downtime, so I'm going to take the care to cleanly shutdown and restart those.

The other games tend to be cleaner, so I'm going to let them restart on their own:

Web Site: Monday, 11PM [this will affect all logins & usage of the new TEC client]

The upgrade windows have all been less than 30 minutes to date, so you can expect games and/or services will be back up within 35-40 minutes of the hour.

I believe this is now a complete list of the first phase of updates, but there will be a second in the near future.

Shannon
          I hadn't seen this. Good to know. I probably won't even bother logging on tomorrow night then!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

You're welcome!

Shannon

I mean... there was clearly room for confusion.

http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...34#post1736134

A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
            A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
            A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

It's the big yellow notice at the top of anywhere in the forums....

Comment

Which differs from the facebook post and the forum post regarding the shut down.

Troll somewhere's else, Archmagi.

Comment

I'm not trolling, the big yellow notice is the one that's updated by Shannon, not me. I'm not Shannon, and the notice is there to give people up to date information. If something conflicts, go with what Shannon says, over Sceadu, or facebook, since Shannon runs everything, not just TEC, so would have the more accurate information.

Comment

Also some of us don't bother to read the forums due to all the trolls who happen to live in them ArchMagi....I only knew about the shutdown from a friend via Skype. A notice IG just before would have been nice.
                    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
                    Steven Hawkings

Comment

I only knew because my friend's friend who isn't my friend told me on Skype.

Comment

Originally posted by isgrimnur View Post
                        Also some of us don't bother to read the forums due to all the trolls who happen to live in them ArchMagi....I only knew about the shutdown from a friend via Skype. A notice IG just before would have been nice.
                        hey who you calling a troll ? lol.... *ahem*

Comment

I'm not trolling, the big yellow notice is the one that's updated by Shannon, not me. I'm not Shannon, and the notice is there to give people up to date information. If something conflicts, go with what Shannon says, over Sceadu, or facebook, since Shannon runs everything, not just TEC, so would have the more accurate information.
                          All jokes aside, there should be a game wide alert for people. Considering, withrestarts like that, literally everyone sits in game afk-ghosting till they log back in and can easily be grief'd ko'd or harmed with no chance to reply all because a lot of people probably don't realize their character is just sitting there standing like they're still playing. Yes, there was an alert on the forums. Sceadu's post did for some reason remove 3 hours from PST time instead of adding 3 hours when changing it to EST. But, believe it or not a lot of people know better to read the forums... Speaking of, why am I here.

Comment

Working...
                          X