Copcat characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copcat characters

Ok. Just a small thing close to my heart. I don't know how many others have a similar problem but this is really starting to get on my nerves.
    I'm sure that most of you out there probably don't mind that there are other characters out there with similar names to you. In a way it is probably a sign of sorts of popularity.
    However I have reached the end of my tether.
    I have 3 characters. 2 of them are over a year old, the other was created at the end of last year.
    ALL of them have at least three "copycat" kind of names.
    The most annoying ones are the ones that are extremely close to the names in terms of spelling. For example there is a character wandering about known as Mecro, I mean come on how close is that to my most used character Macro?
    And now to make matters worse there is a character walking about called Roara now. How close is that to the name Rara? . I wouldn't mind so much but why do all these Rara copycats trade goods. He has been a trader for over a year. Every time these copycat names come along he stops trading.
    Not only does it ruin his reputation (if he has any) as a trader, it just doesn't seem right.
    Come on people if you do decide to create a new long term character please put a bit of thought into the name.
    I know that most of these copycatters aren't brand new players.
    Ok Rara isn't the cleverest of names but then he was only created a day after I opened the account.
    Macro however I put effort into searching for the name, perusing over old roman names until I found a nice short name.
    Maybe I'm just a bit moody at the moment but it just gets to me.
    Sorry about the length of this post and I thank all those who have decided to read it. Patience such as you have will one day be rewarded .

Macro
    Last edited by Macro; 06-02-2001, 07:29 PM.
    Macro

There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not outside, not on other people. That comes afterwards, when you have worked on your own corner.
    - Aldous Huxley

Seems like....

I have noticed a LOT of copycat characters, especially lately...but they're usually shorter names...that's why I chose to go with more lengthy, complicated names....I know this doesn't help you at all, Macro...but maybe it'll help some other players when they're deciding on a name...one can always shorten a long name for those on more familiar terms. Kind of hard to lengthen a short name.

Celtor

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Shakespeare

“We don't devote enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks.” ~Bill Watterson

Comment

Heh...

Govan was made.

Shortly after, Rovan arrived.

Then there was Goban. And Givon.

*twitch*
      Least likely to train: Govan.. actually, I should say her player. Accompanied an alt of hers training once and after she had spent fifteen minutes deciding on the wardrobe, we got all of two minutes in before she was bored.

Comment

I hope you're not mad at me cause of Macronus. When I made that character I didn't know you existed.

Comment

Yes, have to remember not everyone who happens to be close is a copycat, they just happened to think of a name near yours... (done maliciously is another matter though, which is indeed a problem)
          Tayron N'Mier

Comment

Estrough, Celtor and Govan

No bud. Macronus may be a similar name but it isn't that close since it has the -nus which defines us as separate individuals. Anyhow Macro and Macronus look totally different .
            It is a little funny that they are both healers.
            I know you didn't know of Macro when you created Macronus so I wasn't mad at all when I spoke with you.
            I find it funny how people confuse us though.

*chuckle* That didn't go unnoticed Govan

Celtor - my most recent character has a nice lengthy name (I think hes about 7 months old now). However he also has copycats.
            I'd agree that shorter names are in a way easier to copy. Thats one of the reasons I find it strange that a 7-lettered name is copied and adapted slightly 3 times.
            I dunno. Guess its a sign of how popular they are....maybe not

Macro
            Macro

There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not outside, not on other people. That comes afterwards, when you have worked on your own corner.
            - Aldous Huxley

Comment

The closest 'copycat' name I have seen is Cimalee. Give me a break...

I have a one of a kind name, no copycats.......... yet.

The Eternal City: Screenshots
              Facebook

Comment

Copycat's

How's this for a copycat, Jetal.

Yup, recently there was another Jetal out there .
                Those who don't know My original Jetal was originally deleted just because I'd stopped playin' him so much... (*note* bad idea)
                Anyways, that guy apparently deleted the name and soon I'll be able to keep it forever again, perhaps work on a plot to bring Jetal back for a brief stint.
                Also Drexis, how close is that. Or the following Dexus, Rexus, etc. . And now I'm constantly confused with Dextrus and Dextro

Sometimes it's nut, but it's always funny.
                I prefer my own reality cause everyone elses sucks.

Comment

Its not there fault though because there named like that, Blame the parents there the ones who gave them the name

Comment

Copycats

Well, everyone - I'm proud to report that in the the last two days I've finally found people who copycatted my main character. Yes, this may be annoying to some. . . but it's a milestone to me. 8) Especially because it was not just one copycat, but three. That's right, folks: Artho, Orthorus, and Orthrus all made their appearances. Of course, my name could legitametely be called a copycat of Otho's (Although that was completely by accident) or a copycat of the weedkiller with the same name. *shrugs* Have a good time everyone.
                    Want a laugh? Or at least a smirk? bash.org
                    Want a website? You know you do . . .

Comment

That's nothing...

I recently found that another player was using my AIM name as an IG character name.

Now, technically, this isn't that bad in the eyes of the game, but for me, if this person were to ever do something horrific or malicious in game, most people would just as soon assume I was the one responsible. It's this type of thing that can get out of hand.

I guess the only thing you can do is @report something if you feel it is done with malicious intent. That's what I did, though I've yet to see a response. *looks at the GMs*

Eccohawk
                      From the Notebook of Quotes from Beyond:
                      " I know all about you. You're just a sad, second rate, boring, impotent little copycat."

Comment

Wirrit, Wearut, Wirrrut, Werrut....

Consider yourself flattered.
                        The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation- Only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration.

Oh doom and gloom, oh doom and gloom, the GMs are fools and do not realize what a position they have put us in. They could not possibly have thought of all of this already, for they are but tiny brained fools.
                        Keep on keepin' on, can ya dig it?

Comment

I know what you mean. I have been playing Brutaes for almost a year and a half now. A couple of months ago, all of a sudden ther was Bru...names...and Brut...names all around...Its not that they are very sililar...bet when they start getting called Brute...er such...that's what gits me...My character's had the nickname for as long as I remember...when Falinia started it. When the first part of a character's name is taken its also hard if they're in the same room...but I can't say people can't use Bru, or Brut...cause eventually the more people who join, the closer names are going to be, cause alot of people think alike and there are jist so many names.

Comment

I'm so original!

I have no copycat names out there!!!

Proud owner of a non-copycat name.
                            I don't think you ready, for this jelly

Comment

Hmm

*gets his first post out of the way*

At least you haven't had copycats such as Rindakisaloser, Rindaktouchedmy______, and Rindakisa_______. I'll let you fill in the blanks

Comment

Working...
                              X