Announcement

Collapse

Downtime Report: Wednesday Night

We had an abrupt and unannounced downtime for all games and services starting sometime after 9pm PT on Wednesday evening. This was due to a massive power outage at our cloud computing facility of the sort that redundant systems are supposed to ensure never happen. After about an hour they were able to diagnose that the power was out. It took a few more hours for them to start restoring service.

At this moment, everything is back up except for Ironclaw and TEC. At the rate they're restoring things, I hope those will be back up in the next 15-30 minutes, but it's entirely in their hands.

As is typically the case with a sudden reboot, TEC and GR have to be rolled back. This is already done with GR. The TEC rollback should be just a few hours due to the more recent backups recently instituted, but I need to get the machine back before I can verify that.

Update: Ironclaw and TEC are now back too. The TEC rollback was 2.5 hours, from 9.30pm PT (when everything crashed) to 7.00 pm PT.
See more
See less

Hiding Welcome Area Names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have heard the complaint of prisoners being in jail and online for hours at a time waiting for someone to RP with them yet no one comes. The only two methods I see for a PC to know they are awake and in the cell are for them to walk by the cell and check, or to notice on "WHO" if they are awake...which is OOC by it's nature.

I haven't personally been in jail for a long time, so apologies if some of this is outdated. There was a lever or string or something a prisoner could use to let GMs know they wanted a trial. Could that be re purposed for prisoners to let active law enforcement know they are awake and able to talk? Perhaps a jail guard could cadae the highest ranking law-enforcement officer of that branch and let them know "The prisoner [Name] has awoken and is requesting a dialog."

Maybe another idea would be to allow prisoners to think aloud once, then get smashed by a guard (like if you swear). The blow could reduce your fatigue to levels you cannot think aloud anymore until you recover. That way a prisoner could let folks know they are awake, but could not just sit there spam all day.

Comment

One use of outside comms is to enhance your own and others experiences by scheduling times to RP, asking about mechanics, or scheduling meetings. I'm fine with that as it can enhance your own experience and other players. There is an ethical line with it I won't cross though. Enhancing my own experience at the expense of someone else's. Be it on the wrong end of a bandit attack or as the bandit. The WA persona and mask issue suggests the later, or protection against it, is where the scales are tipped.
      Nothing much to say.

Comment

Originally posted by roast View Post
        There is an ethical line with it I won't cross though. Enhancing my own experience at the expense of someone else's.
        This. So much this!

Comment

Well, This thread got completely De-Railed.

My point is only partially to protect my characters identities. The bulk of my concern is to protect my Account Identity. Against account theft. All someone needs is the account name and the email on the account to recover it. Since we have no form of double authentication with skotos I see this as more of a security level threat. Considering we invest thousands of hours and hundreds of dollars into our accounts it would be nice to be more secure.

Comment

That actually is concerning as we have credit card information stored on our account. This is something that really needs to be addressed and soon before someone is a victim of identity theft.

Comment

Originally posted by Kered View Post
              Am I lame? I literally don't talk to anyone outside game, not on skype or whatever? say hi to folks in the WA yell at the gm's to make it rain fish, then just play? I don't know who the current bandits are, I think they are doing good as bad guys ? I don't know? They don't seem to be the kind of folks who are constantly destorying non com's, so bravo? I just try to play normal
              Dude You are not the only one like this.

I talk about TEC stuff with 2 people that I've known for YEARS on Facebook. Those conversations have to do with mechanics, changes I missed, char gen, new armor changes, and stuff like that.

I have no problem when folks are using OOC means to bring more to the game. Exactly as Roast said here.

Originally posted by roast View Post
              One use of outside comms is to enhance your own and others experiences by scheduling times to RP, asking about mechanics, or scheduling meetings. I'm fine with that as it can enhance your own experience and other players. There is an ethical line with it I won't cross though. Enhancing my own experience at the expense of someone else's. Be it on the wrong end of a bandit attack or as the bandit. The WA persona and mask issue suggests the later, or protection against it, is where the scales are tipped.
              2FA for Skotos? Great idea. I hope they set it up with Google Auth or an SMS system if they consider it.
              Originally posted by Dyro
              Good RP is consistency.
              Originally posted by Cloudy
              Shiloboy wins.
              Fatality.
              Keep up the good work.

Comment

I honestly didn't know this was a thing, but I can see the organizing whatever, i mean we have an forum for the Traevant provided by skotos. I just can't see the whole voice/im etc needed
                "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Working...
                X