OOC parchment event

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOC parchment event

Due to a number of people conveying they had pretty frustrating experiences on the night this took place, I thought it would be healthy to start a thread for everyone to SHARE the experience they had, and why it was good or bad. Please, feel free to take part whether or not you feel like you won the lottery, or tearing your eyes out. Consider this an OPEN FEEDBACK thread.

For myself, I had a fairly frustrating experience that balanced out by the end of the night. For starters, I don't use Facebook or Twitter, so the only mention I received of this was from a few people on the TEC Discord. There was no mention of this in the WA forums, these forums, or any kind of blurb made in the gameworld that this event was going down or had started. What further made this confusing, was there was a mini-event that happened earlier in the day that didn't ever really seem like it closed up, so I was under the impression what was happening that day had already ocurred, or was related to that.

Then, people started talking about getting RP awards just sitting around and off of critters. This wasn't happening for me at all, and by the time the second RP rewards for the same people were being awarded I started to feel a little slighted. When people started saying they were getting 250 RP parchments and lvl4 VC's and I hadn't received anything, I started to feel really frustrated. At one point, I watched someone doing the exact same thing I was doing in the baths, get 3 tickets in the span of 10 minutes right in front of me.

I asked people what they were doing to receive them. Some said they were just sitting around, others said RP'ing, then others said they were finding them on NPC's. I went to a critter hunting ground, and did two full bars there and didn't find a single parchment, or have any random dings for just standing around. It was around this time someone mentioned they had just gotten a lvl 10 VC.

Eventually I headed to human hunting grounds, and I found 2 parchments worth 250 and 50 RP's. When this happened, I felt far less irritated and actually really fortunate. I headed to another hunting ground to try my luck with better spawns and got a 10 RP ticket on the way randomly walking. Then when I got to the next ground, the first NPC I encountered had another ticket on him for 50 RP's.

I encountered 3 more tickets in that night while hunting with a group, but I don't know what their values were worth.

Overall, my experience turned out pretty good. I got 360 free RP's for basically playing a little more adventurous than I normally might have. But I feel like I might be the exception here with some of the stories I've heard shared. Some people have even mentioned it's a sour enough taste that they're taking breaks. I feel like this needs to be discussed openly so that we can correct this in the future.

What would have made a world of difference for me personally, is if this event had been publicized better. This needed to be posted in the WA forums, these forums, facebook, twitter, and needed to be detailed that it was an OOC parchment event where tens of thousands of RP's were going to be given away, along with the conditions in which you would receive tickets.

Please try to keep this discussion healthy, and GM's please keep an open mind on what may be discussed here.
    Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
    I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
    Originally posted by Phwoar
    Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
    Originally posted by Elowynn
    Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Sounds fun. Wish there were events like this for people that play in AM. Maybe I'm the only player like this. I'm lucky if I get a OOC warning.

edit...like 6am-6pm EST...no events ever
    Last edited by mikeand; 08-19-2018, 04:01 PM.
    TRproclaim power!

Originally posted by Armataan
    Did I just get told Synodia was a better RPed character than Culexus?
    Originally posted by Bucaria
    The player of Synodia should be made a GM, he seems to have no favorites and hates everyone equally.

Comment

From what I saw, the event took place from about 12am-3am EST on Saturday. I was online the whole time and got about 50rps. I heard some of the awards were a lvl 4 VC, lvl 7 VC, and lvl 10 VC, as well as luck points on some of the parchments. Congrats to the winners!

Comment

I was late to the party, but ended up getting 10 parchments. 8 worth 10 RP's, and 2 worth 50 RP's. = 180 RP's total. Sure, I won't complain about that. I will say that I likely killed more on my own, then the vast majority of the playerbase (humanoids) and only received 8 off of all of the corpses I looted. I woke up and received one, and I found one off of a rotting corpse after it had ended.

Seeing people get a VC's worth the entire worth of my account in RP's is a little frustrating. Seeing people receive rare weapons worth 50+ talents is a little frustrating. Seeing people just sitting there doing nothing and receiving a parchment worth more RP's then what I got throughout the entire night is a little frustrating.

The only thing I'd change is how they promoted the event, and having certain parchments be worth more then others. Keep it at 10 RP's. Trust me, 10 RP's per parchment will make the playerbase happy. Throwing a lvl 10 VC out there, or superior weapons, will just annoy those who didn't get it. It's just human nature to get jealous.

I personally will be putting an @request to PK Maliken. (Kidding.... kinda)

Comment

Had no idea this was happening. Only knowledge of it was whatever I'm reading in forums about it. Kudos to those who profited. More notice would be nice, but I guess the GMs wanted this to be spontaneous for whoever happened to be online?
          A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
          A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
          A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

I think more than anything I'm just frustrated that the only avenues used to convey this to the playerbase were facebook and twitter. It would have been nice to be able to participate. Congratulations to those who got lucky.

Comment

My experience has been that OOC parchment episodes have always been spontaneous - and in line with spontaneity, I consider them a "bonus" "surprise" experience. How exactly one increases one's odds of benefiting comes from experience, not GM heads up. For this particular one, that there were FB-spurred rumors swirling around the day leading up to it was new, and intriguing.

Believe me, I've my fair share of complaints about the staff. But seeing disgruntlement and entitlement about things that are "bonuses" (and "promos") is a little strange. I think we need to be careful about separating in our own minds what vital, baseline standards we hold staff to, and what "just for fun" stuff we end up making not so fun with how we receive it.

Comment

I can't complain. This is the first time I've been involved in this kind of event. I honestly wasn't sure what I was suppose to do, in order to get the parchments. I had to ask another player. I was told a combination of things. I was told you get them by fighting NPC's, and also by looking on, in, under things. I searched almost every nook and cranny of Monlon and I found a parchment with a reward of 250 RPS ON a chair. The rest of the parchments I found were in the sacks of NPC's 10 RPS each, and a final 10 RPS were gained just by walking into a square. I believe I had 5 in total.

Like everyone else I do feel a forum post would have been a good idea, even if it was something vague like what was posted on Facebook. This was such a neat little event, and I'm sure more people would have logged in if they knew about it.

There is no point in arguing with an idiot. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Did you vote today?

I can't spell. Don't you RP with me!

Comment

Bummed I missed it, they are always fun.
                  "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

I've always liked the events, assuming I know when to login. I also noted in another thread that it got to be very late and not knowing how long it would run or when it would start had me logging out for sleep.
                    <Tivan thinks aloud: No offense, I'd rather take it from behind by an eyeless humanoid from twilight...guess I'll get them myself.>

Haggard squeaks to MindThrasher, "My only regret about lanc dying...is that Kjel was at the toga.."

Fidellus whispers something to Lucarnes.
                    Carefully reading his lips, you make out the words "I liked it, but I have a thing for blondes in catholic school girl skirts

A woman in a slinky red nightgown flirts to you, "Bears are repulsive."

Comment

Originally posted by Elowynn View Post
                      My experience has been that OOC parchment episodes have always been spontaneous - and in line with spontaneity, I consider them a "bonus" "surprise" experience. How exactly one increases one's odds of benefiting comes from experience, not GM heads up. For this particular one, that there were FB-spurred rumors swirling around the day leading up to it was new, and intriguing.

Believe me, I've my fair share of complaints about the staff. But seeing disgruntlement and entitlement about things that are "bonuses" (and "promos") is a little strange. I think we need to be careful about separating in our own minds what vital, baseline standards we hold staff to, and what "just for fun" stuff we end up making not so fun with how we receive it.
                      Perhaps. What leans it towards a sense of entitlement as you put it was this though:

"Heads up: About 5 minutes until an OOC parchment party will rain down it's happy goodness on Iridine.

We may not have hit the golden 100 number yet (I know that we will!), but we've come close a number of times - and sometimes, you gotta reward effort. <3"

I got absolutely nothing from this event. I've logged on for every attempt at the magic number. I've played consistently aside from those efforts as well. Was my effort somehow not worth rewarding? Or even still, was others somehow more valuable, hence their outcomes?

Comment

I had no idea this was part of an event, and I read the forums regularly. I don't do Facebook because it's far more hassle than it's worth (total waste of time, imo).
                        Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg View Post

Perhaps. What leans it towards a sense of entitlement as you put it was this though:

"Heads up: About 5 minutes until an OOC parchment party will rain down it's happy goodness on Iridine.

We may not have hit the golden 100 number yet (I know that we will!), but we've come close a number of times - and sometimes, you gotta reward effort. <3"

I got absolutely nothing from this event. I've logged on for every attempt at the magic number. I've played consistently aside from those efforts as well. Was my effort somehow not worth rewarding? Or even still, was others somehow more valuable, hence their outcomes?
                          That's a hell of a rabbit hole to start going down, concluding that the results of this random event signifies your value either to the gameworld or the staff. If you found a 50 rp parchment, would you still have felt you were less valuable than the people that found 400? A VC?. Sometimes there's good luck, sometimes there's shit luck. I've gone through enough of these events to know sometimes you win, and sometimes you don't. We never hit 100. We were never promised this, but how we react very well might affect the promises we DO get in the future.

Comment

Okay. I think this needs to be said: If we're afraid to voice our feedback, even constructively, because we fear that the simple act of voicing criticism will get us punished, get something taken away, or because we think that it will be misunderstood, then we've got some pretty big fundamental problems on our hands. It shouldn't be taken as offense by individuals, and it doesn't mean fun ideas need to be scrapped. All it denotes, is it CAN be better.

The consensus seems to be that this would have been a lot less frustrating if this had been better advertised, and I agree with that completely.

The other thing I want to point out is that the animosity is 100% because of the currency exchanged; RP's. If this had been an auction advertised in the same way that sold nothing but superior retalq weapons at 3 AM, you wouldn't have seen this frustration. I'd even echo Tweninger's sentiment that if they had all been 10 RP tickets, it would have been perceived far differently too. RP's are an incredibly valuable commodity BY DESIGN no matter how you slice it. If we go by the StP conversion rate, 5 RP's is worth a dollar.

What that means, is we have a situation where some lucky people got $4000 value lvl 10 VC's, and some people who stayed on the entire time didn't get a thing. It's completely understandable that some people would feel slighted about that, especially considering the conditions under which this all took place.

Imagine a scenario, where the US government decided to dump trillions of dollars on the streets of the country. But they don't tell you when, how or where, and the only information distributed is by landline.

Pretty constructive so far though. I'd love to hear from a couple of people who really lucked out, and a couple more who didn't. Perspective is essential here. It's also worth pointing out that nobody should feel bad about winning something that night.
                            Last edited by Rupert; 08-20-2018, 03:16 PM.
                            Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
                            I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
                            Originally posted by Phwoar
                            Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
                            Originally posted by Elowynn
                            Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

For someone who can't fight bandit NPCs on his own yet, my options were limited to RPing, exploration, and hoping critters dropped any. But I didn't find any from either method available to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X