No announcement yet.

OOC parchment event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked everything about the event, except that VC packages were awarded. I think everyone who plays TEC enjoys the slow grind, and it's discouraging to see a handful of players skip years ahead. I assume VCs were added to the award list by mistake, otherwise I'm worried that the GMs don't realize the value of VC packages.

For what it's worth, I talked to the person who supposedly got a VC10 and honestly they seemed like the best person that could have gotten it. It was their first VC, and they fully understand how lucky they are. None of us want the VC packages taken back, we just ask that the GMs be more cautious about awarding them in the future.

TLDR: Stop spoiling us, make us work for those RPs!

Comment

Originally posted by Rupert View Post
      Okay. I think this needs to be said: If we're afraid to voice our feedback, even constructively, because we fear that the simple act of voicing criticism will get us punished, get something taken away, or because we think that it will be misunderstood, then we've got some pretty big fundamental problems on our hands. It shouldn't be taken as offense by individuals, and it doesn't mean fun ideas need to be scrapped. All it denotes, is it CAN be better.

The consensus seems to be that this would have been a lot less frustrating if this had been better advertised, and I agree with that completely.

The other thing I want to point out is that the animosity is 100% because of the currency exchanged; RP's. If this had been an auction advertised in the same way that sold nothing but superior retalq weapons at 3 AM, you wouldn't have seen this frustration. I'd even echo Tweninger's sentiment that if they had all been 10 RP tickets, it would have been perceived far differently too. RP's are an incredibly valuable commodity BY DESIGN no matter how you slice it. If we go by the StP conversion rate, 5 RP's is worth a dollar.

What that means, is we have a situation where some lucky people got $4000 value lvl 10 VC's, and some people who stayed on the entire time didn't get a thing. It's completely understandable that some people would feel slighted about that, especially considering the conditions under which this all took place.

Imagine a scenario, where the US government decided to dump trillions of dollars on the streets of the country. But they don't tell you when, how or where, and the only information distributed is by landline.

Pretty constructive so far though. I'd love to hear from a couple of people who really lucked out, and a couple more who didn't. Perspective is essential here. It's also worth pointing out that nobody should feel bad about winning something that night.
      Criticism is also open to criticism. It's one thing to say, "Hey - thanks for this, but please try to let us know about it better next time" and another thing entirely to say, "The results make me question if I'm being treated differently, or if some people are favored.". It was not something that they were obligated to do, and so, if certain criticisms influence future acts of kindness; that's not really a fundamental problem - that's just how people work.

I'm not sure if I should touch your analogy because I think we both know that people finding thousands of dollars on the street can have real life altering results. Medical bills, your kid's school expenses, et. cetera. RPs are.......well RPs. Let's not lose sight of that.

I get why people are frustrated. I've been in that boat. Honestly, my walk away from this parchment event was on the low side. I don't mind though. It was meant to be a bonus.

If your criticism is purely how the event was conveyed beforehand, I get it. I don't necessarily agree - because I don't think everything needs to be announced. I like surprises, I like spontaneity - but I get it. If your criticism is what you received, well, what Elowynn said kind of holds truth. We all, sometimes, happen to be entitled more than we should this day in age.

Comment

I assume the parchments that were handed out were just prizes at random. I can tell you that I've never had any interaction with a GM, so there was definitely no favoritism in this event. Just pure luck.

Comment

It does say something about the community when folks are afraid to provide feedback out of fear of being treated a certain way by the GMs. There are some that like to just complain about everything but I'd like to think a lot of the feedback and criticism are meant to improve things since so many of us have been playing this darn game since the 90s.
          <Tivan thinks aloud: No offense, I'd rather take it from behind by an eyeless humanoid from twilight...guess I'll get them myself.>

Haggard squeaks to MindThrasher, "My only regret about lanc dying...is that Kjel was at the toga.."

Fidellus whispers something to Lucarnes.
          Carefully reading his lips, you make out the words "I liked it, but I have a thing for blondes in catholic school girl skirts

A woman in a slinky red nightgown flirts to you, "Bears are repulsive."

Comment

Originally posted by Sirrius View Post

[...] It was not something that they were obligated to do [...]
            Slight derail. In your opinion what exactly are they obligated to do at all? Is this a, "I expect absolutely nothing, so getting anything should be praised" stance? Or do you have certain minimum standards in mind which should be upheld, and if so what are they?
            A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
            A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
            A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonus View Post

Slight derail. In your opinion what exactly are they obligated to do at all? Is this a, "I expect absolutely nothing, so getting anything should be praised" stance? Or do you have certain minimum standards in mind which should be upheld, and if so what are they?
              Total obligation?
              • Fix bugs.
              • Handle @requests in a timely (subjective, I suppose) manner.
              • Monitor the game world.
              Standards that they should be pressed to uphold? Sure. Here's a list, that works for me, in an order that also works for me.
              • Run events that push story and lore forward.
              • Continuing balancing and tweaking of in game systems
              • Assist Organizations.
              • Create new content
              • Pretty much anything you can think of.
              • Award free RPs to the playerbase for never hitting a number that we were suppose to hit to get said free RPs.

Comment

Total obligation?
                • Fix bugs.
                • Handle @requests in a timely (subjective, I suppose) manner.
                • Monitor the game world.

Standards that they should be pressed to uphold? Sure. Here's a list, that works for me, in an order that also works for me.
                • Run events that push story and lore forward.
                • Continuing balancing and tweaking of in game systems
                • Assist Organizations.
                • Create new content
                • Pretty much anything you can think of.
                • Award free RPs to the playerbase for never hitting a number that we were suppose to hit to get said free RPs.
                Going to assume by the "Pretty much anything you can think of." and multiple blank spaces and random point at the end that I don't completely understand (was this event supposed to be a reward for trying to hit a number?)... that was somewhat sarcastic. Thanks for the input though, helps to clarify some things.
                A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
                A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
                A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonus View Post

Going to assume by the "Pretty much anything you can think of." and multiple blank spaces and random point at the end that I don't completely understand (was this event supposed to be a reward for trying to hit a number?)... that was somewhat sarcastic. Thanks for the input though, helps to clarify some things.
                  ??? - You asked, I answered. It was suppose to drive home the point that free awards are not something I feel we should criticize the GMs for - but also, it was to dispel the implication that because I feel that way; that I just don't care or am satisfied if the GMs did nothing.

And yes. This was basically to do with the hitting 100 players simultaneously.

Comment

I'm having a hard time establishing how this is any better if it's suppose to be a 'hit 100 players online' event. For starters, the first mention of that sentiment comes after the entire nights events. If this is something that was aiming to be accomplished, delivering it on Facebook and Twitter exclusively the day of, considering the success we've had in the past with short notice, is probably not the best way to go about it.

Second, I haven't heard any reason specified for why hitting 100 is a good thing from the staff side, but I suspect it's to draw in old players and up the number of paying accounts playing the game on a regular basis. They are a business after all. And in that regard, I don't consider T-mobile offering me promotions on my contract an act of kindness, I consider it them trying to retain my business by providing quality service. If we want to retain the players from something like that, then it's probably best to convince them outright the game isn't the same mess that they left a decade ago. I believe the game has changed tremendously for the positive both on the staff and players side. Can we please show them that?

If we want to hit 100 players online at one time, we need at least 4 weeks notice. We need every player hitting up old players to come back for it. We need a small promotional event or open RP night planned for the occasion. And we need the GM's to hit up the mailing list. I'd love to see this happen, and I don't want it to become something we only ever attempt half-assed. Lets do it right if we're going to do it, that goes for both players and GM's.

I'd also like to believe that pointing that out isn't going to result in the complete revocation of any future activity related to this or not, or me being personally targetted. We're all adults here. Like Kjel correctly pointed out, most if not ALL of us have been playing the game together for 20 years, GM and player alike. It'd be really nice if we could all just move forward from this point, instead of constantly finding reasons to stay in place.
                    Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
                    I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
                    Originally posted by Phwoar
                    Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
                    Originally posted by Elowynn
                    Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

I'm having a hard time establishing how this is any better if it's suppose to be a 'hit 100 players online' event. For starters, the first mention of that sentiment comes after the entire nights events. If this is something that was aiming to be accomplished, delivering it on Facebook and Twitter exclusively the day of, considering the success we've had in the past with short notice, is probably not the best way to go about it.

Second, I haven't heard any reason specified for why hitting 100 is a good thing from the staff side, but I suspect it's to draw in old players and up the number of paying accounts playing the game on a regular basis. They are a business after all. And in that regard, I don't consider T-mobile offering me promotions on my contract an act of kindness, I consider it them trying to retain my business by providing quality service. If we want to retain the players from something like that, then it's probably best to convince them outright the game isn't the same mess that they left a decade ago. I believe the game has changed tremendously for the positive both on the staff and players side. Can we please show them that?

If we want to hit 100 players online at one time, we need at least 4 weeks notice. We need every player hitting up old players to come back for it. We need a small promotional event or open RP night planned for the occasion. And we need the GM's to hit up the mailing list. I'd love to see this happen, and I don't want it to become something we only ever attempt half-assed. Lets do it right if we're going to do it, that goes for both players and GM's.

I'd also like to believe that pointing that out isn't going to result in the complete revocation of any future activity related to this or not, or me being personally targetted. We're all adults here. Like Kjel correctly pointed out, most if not ALL of us have been playing the game together for 20 years, GM and player alike. It'd be really nice if we could all just move forward from this point, instead of constantly finding reasons to stay in place.

This wasn't a NEW hit 100 event. This was a random reward event for trying, but failing, to hit 100 on a few occasions. Giving out free RPs doesn't do anything to convince the game is or isn't a mess. It also has nothing to do with the game staying in place. It's just a reward. I feel like people are trying to give what was suppose to be a surprise reward too much meaning, and somehow flipping it into a negative. I just don't see it.

Comment

And yes. This was basically to do with the hitting 100 players simultaneously.
                        You appear to be arguing just to argue, man. It either is or isn't a hit 100 event, but there's no way you expect us to just watch as you go back and forth on this.

Also, that sentiment you have, does a WONDERFUL job of convincing returning players the game is still a mess. As a returning player myself, it's certainly doing the job for me.

People are giving it the exact meaning it's worth. A lvl 10 VC is worth 20,000 RP's. That's 10,000 hours of being at your computer on a basic account, or $4000 dollars worth of story points. I don't get why you're trying to make RP's sound so unimpotant, when we all clearly understand their value, and what you have to give up for them. And for the record, I have ZERO problem these were given out.

I'd argue it has everything to do with the game 'staying in place', because it's the perceived infractions and actions of decades of inconsistency that causes the perceived animosity on both ends. Strong foundations and consistency standards are essential for events like this. If we're going to avoid this and reduce it to you get what you get or nothing at all, then quite frankly, I'll take nothing at all for the sake of consistency. The thought that in players or GM's minds it can't happen any other way is kind of depressing though, especially with a player base and staff that clearly consists of people passionate about the game and what happens to it.
                        I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
                        Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?

Comment

You appear to be arguing just to argue, man. It either is or isn't a hit 100 event, but there's no way you expect us to just watch as you go back and forth on this.

Also, that sentiment you have, does a WONDERFUL job of convincing returning players the game is still a mess. As a returning player myself, it's certainly doing the job for me.

People are giving it the exact meaning it's worth. A lvl 10 VC is worth 20,000 RP's. That's 10,000 hours of being at your computer on a basic account, or $4000 dollars worth of story points. I don't get why you're trying to make RP's sound so unimpotant, when we all clearly understand their value, and what you have to give up for them. And for the record, I have ZERO problem these were given out.

I'd argue it has everything to do with the game 'staying in place', because it's the perceived infractions and actions of decades of inconsistency that causes the perceived animosity on both ends.
                          Look. Read what you quoted. This was basically to do with the hitting 100 players simultaneously is NOT this was an event to try and hit 100 players. I'm not going back and forth on anything. You're misinterpreting.

Implying that because I think we shouldn't whine about how free rewards were given out is convincing returning players that the game is a mess is complete hyperbole. If my opinion on this one topic is cementing that idea for you, then I don't know what to tell you.

RPs are potent within this game, sure, but a large part of the reason for that is how long they take to accrue. I'm choosing to not look at it in a, that's unfair that this person got a VC kind of way - and more of a: Cool, good for them, I hope they make an awesome character and introduce some great RP with it sort of way. I just got rid of my main of 20 years to get a VC that someone was randomly awarded for free and I don't care because it's just not that important.

I'm sorry if I come across as an asshole in all of this, but it just blows my mind that these are the things we are worrying about.

Comment

The thing is though Sirrius, you ARE choosing to look at it that way, which is why you perceive THAT to be the issue. Nobody said their was favoritism, it was barely even suggested, and you came in to defend that idea based on that preconception. You keep presenting it, and then use people's replies to you as defensive of that idea. I don't want to defend that idea, and I don't see anyone else stepping up to do it either.

This idea that someone criticizing can only be complaining because of perceived bias or inequality needs to stop. Again, we are all adults. Give your fellow players the respect of being so, and stop perceiving them as children incapable of voicing a legitimate concern.

You mean it's true?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg View Post

Was my effort somehow not worth rewarding? Or even still, was others somehow more valuable, hence their outcomes?
                              Reads pretty plainly to me. This is the nature of a debate. I replied to him. You replied to my reply to him with some stuff that I felt was pretty off-base, I replied with some stuff you felt was pretty off-base - and it's gone from there.

Comment

So just to be clear here, your tirade against favoritism and bias over the last several posts is based on a snippet of a single post. And also to be clear, this comes immediately after you just made the claim that -I- was guilty of cherry picking quotes.

That honestly sounds like classic derailment to me man, but thanks for contributing.

It either was a 100 or not a 100 event. It either was or wasn't a reward for doing it. Bringing it up as a talking point or an excuse accomplishes nothing, and only serves to distort the issue, whether that be from a GM on facebook, or a player in the forums.

You mean it's true?

Comment

Working...
                                X