No announcement yet.

OOC parchment event

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 'tirade' regarding that consists of two posts. The first one, in reply to the post where that quote is taken directly from. The second one, is a reply to you that YOU coaxed out of me. Also I didn't say you cherry-picked anything. I said you just interpreted it wrong. You're literally inventing things that I've done this thread. You started this discussion, you should be open to discussion. You kind of did the same thing on discord in regards to how VCs are awarded. You entertained the idea of a discussion, but once it was clear I didn't agree with you; you started to disregard what I had to say completely and imply that I was arguing for the sake of arguing because I didn't align. I'm sorry that I don't agree with you.

Comment

It's fine that you don't agree with me, just don't pretend you're willing to bend by engaging in debate. We can both avoid a lot of typing by saying we fundamentally disagree. I AM willing to bend to objectivity, I just can't find anything in that realm to justify where you're coming from. I'm just not going to be swayed by arguments from the middle or subjectivity.

My reply wasn't to you, nor did I put a gun to your head and make you type a response. It was directed at the sentiment of making people feel like they can't share their own criticism. If you feel you were guilty of this, it's not because I pointed my finger at you and accused you of it.

You're right, I did start this. Probably a mistake on my part, but I knew others wouldn't. Probably because of.. well, observe above. Despite that, I still encourage anyone who hasn't to share their experience of the evening for good or bad for perspective.

Edit - We took it to discord. SQUASHED!
      Last edited by Rupert; 08-20-2018, 10:57 PM.
      Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
      I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
      Originally posted by Phwoar
      Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
      Originally posted by Elowynn
      Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjel View Post
        It does say something about the community when folks are afraid to provide feedback out of fear of being treated a certain way by the GMs. There are some that like to just complain about everything but I'd like to think a lot of the feedback and criticism are meant to improve things since so many of us have been playing this darn game since the 90s.
        Just gonna quote this.
        The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation- Only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration.

Oh doom and gloom, oh doom and gloom, the GMs are fools and do not realize what a position they have put us in. They could not possibly have thought of all of this already, for they are but tiny brained fools.
        Keep on keepin' on, can ya dig it?

Comment

Last post from me on the topic.

I do recognize that I get focused on the argument sometimes, and lose track of the original point. That's a flaw of mine for sure. I also want our community to realize that there's more to this than honest criticism. One of the people who was awarded a VC said to me that they feel everyone hates them. I think we can all agree that that isn't true - but I can certainly understand why he feels that way. Let's not forget to have fun with the things that are suppose to be fun; and hopefully next time more of the people that missed this one will get to enjoy it.

Comment

Thank you for saying that Sirrius. I think that needs to be made VERY clear too. If you won something this night, you have no reason to feel ashamed or feel bad for it. Even Mr. LVL 10 VC over there, you lucky bastard.
            I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
            Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?

Comment

A couple of things I wanted to mention:

OOC parchment events, or treasure hunts as they've sometimes been called, have been a rare treat over the years. None of them, to the very best of my knowledge, have ever been announced in advance.

Confusion may have inadvertently been added to the conversation with the mention of the 100 goal. There was not a "100 player event". Months ago, I offered a challenge to the playerbase [posted in the forums, FB, *news (I believe) and an IG herald] to reach 100 players on at any given time. If this challenge (not event) was met, I listed some suggested prizes. One of which was the OOC parchment event (which also would not have been scheduled, simply attempted to run at a peak time also).

While we came close to the goal on a number of occasions, it wasn't met. However, I appreciated the efforts of the players - some even attempting to arrange attendance through the forums and FB posts - in trying to meet it. I especially appreciated the rise in player-run events, the number of new stories I've seen being fostered, and other things. Because of this, I thought it would be nice to host a surprise parchment event.

Again, historically these events have not been announced. I did a couple of FB teasers to start a few whispers that might encourage more people to be online. It was a weekend night, and I waited until we hit peak numbers for the day (over 50). Once triggered, it's an automated process - specifically to avoid any suggestions of favoritism.

If I am being honest, I am confused by the reaction to something that has taken place in this exact same manner in the past, as it is an atypical response. I've never seen or heard anyone push back and speak to it being unfair or unfun or anything other than excitement. The current climate has now been noted, however.

If you have additional feedback on the types of OOC parchment awards, I would be happy to listen.

Comment

I feel like a VC10 should only be awarded in a huge, publicized event like RPer of the year. A minor event, like ooc parchments, shouldn't exceed a couple hundred RP in my opinion. If that were the case, then I think all these minor complaints wouldn't have even been mentioned.

To add another bad analogy to the list in this thread, it's like if the CEO of your company came to your job and said "I appreciate how hard you all work, here's a check for one million dollars" and wrote it to a random person in your office. A smaller award would have been a nice gesture, but the huge award just causes confusion and jealousy.

The thing I'd personally like the GMs to change is just to reduce the maximum award that a single parchment can give a player. Reduce it from 20,000 down to a couple hundred at most.

Comment

I actually thought it was a pretty neat event even though I wasnít able to participate. I donít even have a problem with the VC package, I think a level 10 isnít even that crazy.
                  In all fairness though I recieved a level 10 for killing off my main character. I had created him iní01 and quit playing in Ď03. I came back about a year ago and have really enjoyed the game again.

This is relevant because truly I didnít deserve a level 10 because I hadnít been playing. But I gladly accepted it. So I think this somewhat balances things out for newer players vs old ones coming back.
                  btw I love what having a vet package has allowed me to and enjoy the game more thoroughly.

Ps if this is a rare event throwing out some really unique prizes wonít affect world balance anyways and realistically even a level 10 doesnít break the game. It just gives you a massive boost in a game that does go on indefinitely.

Comment

To side with Siddhe here. Anyone remember when Ultimatius received a 10 room domus at one of these events.

I do.

Comment

Thanks for responding Siddhe, appreciate the feedback.

If I had to guess why there was an extra level of sour on this one, I'd imagine it was partly tied to the lack of a promotion this month. Yes, this isn't something that the TEC the team HAS to offer, but we also weren't given any kind of indication there wouldn't be one. Without clarification, I think a lot assumed that this might have been what we were getting instead.

I think the second level of confusion came from it being quoted as a reward for trying to hit 100. While historically it may be true that these things have been unannounced, I think the majority consensus in the posts suggesting that this be better advertised is preferable for future versions of it, just so everyone gets a fair shake (Even if just for perceptions sake). I think even just saying peak on X day would be enough.

I had a great time at this by the end of for the record, and would love to see more in the future.

You mean it's true?

Comment

That analogy does not seem to fit. GMs sponsored a surprise mini game, akin to a treasure hunt, in which items including jackpots could be found by anyone.

I didn't benefit greatly, but I did vicariously share in the excitement of others. I thought it was a really nice thing for people to experience.

Let me be among the few so far to say - thanks for holding a nifty event for folks that surely took significant IRL time to prepare for (custom items, hints, coding, monitoring). To those who got cool stuff - congratulations, and I think the TEC community does not resent you (!!) but rather hopes you enjoy your new opportunities well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupert View Post

If I had to guess why there was an extra level of sour on this one, I'd imagine it was partly tied to the lack of a promotion this month. Yes, this isn't something that the TEC the team HAS to offer, but we also weren't given any kind of indication there wouldn't be one. Without clarification, I think a lot assumed that this might have been what we were getting instead.
                          This continues to come up, and we continue to address it, but I will address again for those who may have missed the responses in the past.

Here is a link to the promotional announcement thread. You may notice in 2017 there were eight promotions. Eight is also the number of promotions that were offered in 2016. The two years before that, there were even fewer. The very first announcement in the thread notes that it is the placeholder for promotions we may offer.

So far this year, we've already had seven, which has us trending ahead of other years in terms of what has been offered. This is not to say we will only have one more promotion this year, it is to point out that historically it has not been offered every month, and we've already offered more so far this year, than any other year at this point. There also have never been "non-announcements" as to the fact we are not having promotions. I think that would be strange, personally, but I will pass your feedback along.

Comment

Siddhe, I don't see anything in the link you provided that indicates promotions are limited to 8 per year. I've read through it twice, maybe I'm mistaken, but I think it's safe to assume to that you might have to keep explaining it because it's not clearly indicated. I also don't see anything in that thread, the thread that's been open since the beginning of the month asking what the promotion is going to be, or the forums in general that suggest this was an off month.

If you don't mind, could this be made clear somewhere? We don't lose anything by being transparent on this, and the flip side is less stress all around.

You mean it's true?

Comment

Ouch, GM's try to create a fun mini event and we complain.

Comment

Siddhe, I don't see anything in the link you provided that indicates promotions are limited to 8 per year. I've read through it twice, maybe I'm mistaken, but I think it's safe to assume to that you might have to keep explaining it because it's not clearly indicated.
                                Originally posted by Siddhe View Post
                                This is not to say we will only have one more promotion this year, it is to point out that historically it has not been offered every month, and we've already offered more so far this year, than any other year at this point.
                                I very specifically stated that just because we have done eight the last two years, does NOT mean we will only have one more this year. I was pointing out that each and every year prior to this, we have had eight or less. There has never been a year where one was offered each month. Could that change in the future? Of course. But it is not to be expected.

I also don't see anything in that thread, the thread that's been open since the beginning of the month asking what the promotion is going to be, or the forums in general that suggest this was an off month. If you don't mind, could this be made clear somewhere? We don't lose anything by being transparent on this, and the flip side is less stress all around.
                                I am not the one that chooses if and what a promotion will be. So I will need to decline your request to post a response saying there will be no promotion, as I have no information regarding that.

Comment

Working...
                                X