OOC parchment event

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rupert View Post
    Siddhe, I don't see anything in the link you provided that indicates promotions are limited to 8 per year. I've read through it twice, maybe I'm mistaken, but I think it's safe to assume to that you might have to keep explaining it because it's not clearly indicated. I also don't see anything in that thread, the thread that's been open since the beginning of the month asking what the promotion is going to be, or the forums in general that suggest this was an off month.

If you don't mind, could this be made clear somewhere? We don't lose anything by being transparent on this, and the flip side is less stress all around.
    Nowhere does it say say "limited to 8." Siddhe's characterization was, "there were 8" promotions in 2017, and this is explained by manually counting the announcements about them. Promotions for previous years were even more scarce. My impression is that this was pointed out to give an example of how many promotions were rolled out in the past - i.e., not monthly. The new development is that folks are expecting monthly promotions, when this was never the case before.

Comment

I think what Rupert is trying to say is that promotions are one of the reasons a lot of folks pay for their accounts. Giving a discount on something gets people excited, encourages people to play, and really, costs Skotos/GMs nothing other than a couple of clicks. Do the promotions have to exist? No. But neither do paying customers.

Siddhe, a lot of these gripes are bigger than you. So I'm sorry if you get dragged into this. Thanks for the event. Keep it up.
      <Tivan thinks aloud: No offense, I'd rather take it from behind by an eyeless humanoid from twilight...guess I'll get them myself.>

Haggard squeaks to MindThrasher, "My only regret about lanc dying...is that Kjel was at the toga.."

Fidellus whispers something to Lucarnes.
      Carefully reading his lips, you make out the words "I liked it, but I have a thing for blondes in catholic school girl skirts

A woman in a slinky red nightgown flirts to you, "Bears are repulsive."

Comment

I'm not sure what to say. My suggestion is clarification and consistency for the sake of avoiding frustration and stress on all ends, and it's being argued against and rejected. I'm just going to leave my posts in the thread at that. I simply don't agree with that response, and because my posts are now pending approval, it's the last one I'll be making here.
        Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
        I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
        Originally posted by Phwoar
        Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
        Originally posted by Elowynn
        Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

I'd like to respond by my posts keep getting blocked.
          <Tivan thinks aloud: No offense, I'd rather take it from behind by an eyeless humanoid from twilight...guess I'll get them myself.>

Haggard squeaks to MindThrasher, "My only regret about lanc dying...is that Kjel was at the toga.."

Fidellus whispers something to Lucarnes.
          Carefully reading his lips, you make out the words "I liked it, but I have a thing for blondes in catholic school girl skirts

A woman in a slinky red nightgown flirts to you, "Bears are repulsive."

Comment

Originally posted by Kjel View Post
            I'd like to respond by my posts keep getting blocked.
            They aren't blocked. The forums disappeared for me entirely awhile ago. Since they've come back, all posts - including my own - seem to have reverted to manual approval. I'm approving as fast as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjel View Post
              I think what Rupert is trying to say is that promotions are one of the reasons a lot of folks pay for their accounts. Giving a discount on something gets people excited, encourages people to play, and really, costs Skotos/GMs nothing other than a couple of clicks. Do the promotions have to exist? No. But neither do paying customers.

Siddhe, a lot of these gripes are bigger than you. So I'm sorry if you get dragged into this. Thanks for the event. Keep it up.
              Rupert, my friend, I would respectfully say - I get what you were trying to achieve, but I do think there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to problems within this game.

Comment

Im glad to see after all these years this community still hasn't changed much.

~Jere~
                "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I will kill you all."

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Tale responds from afar, "You have, right now, more unspent sp than I've ever accumilated with characters I've actually played with total, in almost 14 years."

Comment

In a random, rare event I don't get what's wrong with someone winning a large prize and why people are so damn butthurt. If they had came out and said, these are the prizes you can win, be on. No one would be complaining that someone won. However, since it was a random event everyone complaining. Comparing this to RL is completely and utterly insane. This is still a game with in which IG rewards were given. Everyone needs to keep in mind that although we spend RL time earning RP's, they are NOT real currency. It truly blows my mind that people would bitch and probably stop something like this from happening again. But whatever, you are just potentially screwing yourself from winning a prize. Jesus, I thought shit would've stopped when we all got into our 30's....guess nothing changes.

Comment

I love that this OOC parchment party happened. I would love for them to happen again. I am okay with them being unannounced.

I am currently living in a timezone in which I am sleeping during peak hours, therefore I woke up and noticed I missed something amazing. There was hope, however, because discord chat was reporting that parchments were still being found/received. My frustration came from the fact that I am not familiar with these parchment parties and did not know where to go or how to get them. I tried 3 different hunting grounds and even did some thieving with the hope that the parchments auto spawn in any NPC container (sacks, pouches, stomachs, etc...) I was never so lucky to find a single parchment. Then, the were reports that the parchments just appear in your hands, suggesting that it was GM controlled and not random. This did not make sense to me because I cannot see a GM singling out a player for a VC10.

If I knew more about how this works, I would not be as upset... hell, I don't even know if upset is the proper word because I've grown up enough up not let this game get to me... but there was some confusion on my part which led to doing things out of the norm for my character.

Could young clarify the mechanics of these sorts of parties? Are they only found in certain situations? Are non-coms able to participate without tagging along in a hunting group?

Thanks. I look forward to the next one.... if it ever happens again.

The Eternal City: Screenshots
                    Facebook

Comment

I hope instead of parchments it rains fish, because alot of whining , over something that was more a hey here is something fun. And a giant clunker of a fish to the loudest complaining
                      "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Originally posted by Corb View Post
                        I feel like a VC10 should only be awarded in a huge, publicized event like RPer of the year. A minor event, like ooc parchments, shouldn't exceed a couple hundred RP in my opinion. If that were the case, then I think all these minor complaints wouldn't have even been mentioned.

To add another bad analogy to the list in this thread, it's like if the CEO of your company came to your job and said "I appreciate how hard you all work, here's a check for one million dollars" and wrote it to a random person in your office. A smaller award would have been a nice gesture, but the huge award just causes confusion and jealousy.

The thing I'd personally like the GMs to change is just to reduce the maximum award that a single parchment can give a player. Reduce it from 20,000 down to a couple hundred at most.
                        I hate all of your suggestions and do not like the grind. I think your opinion is pretty terrible. I would rather take the million dollars.

Comment

I'm just glad we are discussing this. If not for this thread, a lot of people wouldn't even know the event had taken place. I'm very interested in these OOC parchment events now that I know the extreme nature of the rewards, so I'd like more information about it please. This is one of the few times that I can't be told to "find out IG".

What are the possible rewards from each parchment?
                          How often do these events typically take place?
                          How long do these events typically last?
                          What possible locations can parchments spawn?
                          Am I allowed to sell unredeemed OOC parchments IG?
                          If my hands are full, can parchments still spawn on me?
                          If I explore an area, can more parchments spawn there later during the same event?
                          Since it's an OOC event can I use OOC methods to increase my odds (like switching between alts to cover more ground)?

I'll share the information I've been able to glean so far: These events seem very rare but the prizes range from 10RPs - 20,000RPs value per parchment. The parchments appear randomly in rooms and might be in/on/under/behind things. They also spawn randomly in player/NPC hands and seem to mostly get looted from Traevant Bandits. It seems to me like any NPC carrying a sack might also have a parchment inside? Critters do not seem to ever carry parchments. Pouches seem to never carry parchments, only sacks (not sure about pickpocketing sacks though). The best strategy seems to be: be first to explore areas that haven't been explored yet, then quickly move to killing humanoids with sacks.

Any information that GMs or other players could give me would be greatly appreciated. All your responses have reassured me that this event is normal and nothing to panic about, but I'd still like the same odds as everyone else. Thanks everyone.

Comment

I have seen "tan parchments" that reward 10, 50, 100, 250 rps and luck points. I have not seen or heard of tan parchments awarding greater than 250 rps. I have seen parchments that award VC packages.

The OOC parchment even seems to occur during "very special" OOC times, such as Christmas, though not every Christmas. I would say once a year, for various reasons, often on holidays.

In my experience, an event will last 1-2 hours or so. My impression has been that a GM toggles "on" the OOC parchment code and lets things run loose until the supply is exhausted, or until it's toggled "off." I heard Tale say once that the event is over when the supply is exhausted.

This is not the first time I have seen IG items being dropped alongside OOC parchments, but the first time I've seen so many IG items as part of the event. My guess is all the OOC parchments and IG goodies get dropped into a supply sack of some sort, which feeds the event until it is depleted?

Parchments seem to be found in humanoid NPC inventory, in their hands, in their sacks, and hidden around the gameworld. I have not seen parchments in pouches. I have not seen parchments on critters. In addition, a "ding!" alerts players when a parchment randomly spawns in their hands. This -does- seem to be random - my impression, as the "ding!" skips and fluctuates through the awake-character population wildly. I've seen characters receive them in quick succession, or not at all, or for one person in a group to get far more, etc., in a way that does not seem to correspond with favoritism. If your hands are full, the parchment falls on the ground.

The parchments seem to spawn on humanoid NPCs that occur naturally in an area. Additionally, I have seen OOC parchments on specially spawned group mobs, such as Red Hand bandits - however, these bandits do not seem to have "more" or "more special" items. My impression is that when a GM spawns a group manually, the spawn is subject to the same "may get a parchment for people to loot" code that any other regular occurring spawn gets. Manually spawned group mobs don't seem to unspawn like regular hunting ground mobs - I think this is why sometimes parchments can still be found long after the event is over. When a manually spawned mob wanders without being killed during the event, you can find these stragglers days, weeks, even a bajillion years after the event. I have found stragglers a few months later, carrying a tan parchment in their sack. (Pro tip: often in the far corners of the grasslands, because their wander code is vigorous.)

I don't know if more parchments spawn in an area on the ground after the event has started.

I would advise against selling OOC things IC. My personal opinion here is that the OOC nature should be as best ignored by characters as possible. If you find an item that is clearly IC, then I'd suggest treating it just like found loot.

I don't see a problem with switching between alts to cover more ground. I don't see a problem with some OOC motivated IG behavior, as long as it actually is reasonable IG behavior that does not negatively impact other people's gameplay. In the end, any OOC-motivated IG behavior by your character becomes IG, so the limitation here is - don't do anything tooooo weirrdd that your character wouldn't. For events that are OOC in nature, it seems to me that a little extra leeway for OOC motivated behavior would be kosher.

Comment

As Siddhe has stated, these "treasure hunts" have never been announced. Just as we have unannounced events, these have always been inserted spontaneously. These types of things are meant not only to reward players, but encourage players to log on as they never know what could happen. And, again as Sidde stated, the code behind the treasure hunts is entirely automated to a point that once it is started, the staff can't interfere with it. If any of you felt slighted, I'm sorry you feel that way, but it was entirely random. I won't go into the details as to how the code works, but there is no situation that makes you more likely to receive one as to not. All you have to do is be logged in and active. As for the prizes we choose to make available during these hunts, they've been recycled through several hunts over the years, though each time we try to add something the last one didn't have. This time it was level 10 VC package.

Now that I've said all of that I will make an announcement so that none can complain that they didn't know or they would have done something differently...

I have gotten Skotos to agree that our next RPotY will receive a free premium subscription for 2019.
                              Game Master Sceadu

Comment

Wasn't this announced several months ago?

Comment

Working...
                                X