Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kjel
    replied
    It does say something about the community when folks are afraid to provide feedback out of fear of being treated a certain way by the GMs. There are some that like to just complain about everything but I'd like to think a lot of the feedback and criticism are meant to improve things since so many of us have been playing this darn game since the 90s.

Leave a comment:

• Pikestr28
    replied
    I assume the parchments that were handed out were just prizes at random. I can tell you that I've never had any interaction with a GM, so there was definitely no favoritism in this event. Just pure luck.

Leave a comment:

• Sirrius
    replied
    Originally posted by Rupert View Post
    Okay. I think this needs to be said: If we're afraid to voice our feedback, even constructively, because we fear that the simple act of voicing criticism will get us punished, get something taken away, or because we think that it will be misunderstood, then we've got some pretty big fundamental problems on our hands. It shouldn't be taken as offense by individuals, and it doesn't mean fun ideas need to be scrapped. All it denotes, is it CAN be better.

The consensus seems to be that this would have been a lot less frustrating if this had been better advertised, and I agree with that completely.

The other thing I want to point out is that the animosity is 100% because of the currency exchanged; RP's. If this had been an auction advertised in the same way that sold nothing but superior retalq weapons at 3 AM, you wouldn't have seen this frustration. I'd even echo Tweninger's sentiment that if they had all been 10 RP tickets, it would have been perceived far differently too. RP's are an incredibly valuable commodity BY DESIGN no matter how you slice it. If we go by the StP conversion rate, 5 RP's is worth a dollar.

What that means, is we have a situation where some lucky people got $4000 value lvl 10 VC's, and some people who stayed on the entire time didn't get a thing. It's completely understandable that some people would feel slighted about that, especially considering the conditions under which this all took place.

Imagine a scenario, where the US government decided to dump trillions of dollars on the streets of the country. But they don't tell you when, how or where, and the only information distributed is by landline.

Pretty constructive so far though. I'd love to hear from a couple of people who really lucked out, and a couple more who didn't. Perspective is essential here. It's also worth pointing out that nobody should feel bad about winning something that night.
    Criticism is also open to criticism. It's one thing to say, "Hey - thanks for this, but please try to let us know about it better next time" and another thing entirely to say, "The results make me question if I'm being treated differently, or if some people are favored.". It was not something that they were obligated to do, and so, if certain criticisms influence future acts of kindness; that's not really a fundamental problem - that's just how people work.

I'm not sure if I should touch your analogy because I think we both know that people finding thousands of dollars on the street can have real life altering results. Medical bills, your kid's school expenses, et. cetera. RPs are.......well RPs. Let's not lose sight of that.

I get why people are frustrated. I've been in that boat. Honestly, my walk away from this parchment event was on the low side. I don't mind though. It was meant to be a bonus.

If your criticism is purely how the event was conveyed beforehand, I get it. I don't necessarily agree - because I don't think everything needs to be announced. I like surprises, I like spontaneity - but I get it. If your criticism is what you received, well, what Elowynn said kind of holds truth. We all, sometimes, happen to be entitled more than we should this day in age.

Leave a comment:

• Corb
    replied
    I liked everything about the event, except that VC packages were awarded. I think everyone who plays TEC enjoys the slow grind, and it's discouraging to see a handful of players skip years ahead. I assume VCs were added to the award list by mistake, otherwise I'm worried that the GMs don't realize the value of VC packages.

For what it's worth, I talked to the person who supposedly got a VC10 and honestly they seemed like the best person that could have gotten it. It was their first VC, and they fully understand how lucky they are. None of us want the VC packages taken back, we just ask that the GMs be more cautious about awarding them in the future.

TLDR: Stop spoiling us, make us work for those RPs!

Leave a comment:

• Raldon
    replied
    For someone who can't fight bandit NPCs on his own yet, my options were limited to RPing, exploration, and hoping critters dropped any. But I didn't find any from either method available to me.

Leave a comment:

• Rupert
    replied
    Okay. I think this needs to be said: If we're afraid to voice our feedback, even constructively, because we fear that the simple act of voicing criticism will get us punished, get something taken away, or because we think that it will be misunderstood, then we've got some pretty big fundamental problems on our hands. It shouldn't be taken as offense by individuals, and it doesn't mean fun ideas need to be scrapped. All it denotes, is it CAN be better.

The consensus seems to be that this would have been a lot less frustrating if this had been better advertised, and I agree with that completely.

The other thing I want to point out is that the animosity is 100% because of the currency exchanged; RP's. If this had been an auction advertised in the same way that sold nothing but superior retalq weapons at 3 AM, you wouldn't have seen this frustration. I'd even echo Tweninger's sentiment that if they had all been 10 RP tickets, it would have been perceived far differently too. RP's are an incredibly valuable commodity BY DESIGN no matter how you slice it. If we go by the StP conversion rate, 5 RP's is worth a dollar.

What that means, is we have a situation where some lucky people got $4000 value lvl 10 VC's, and some people who stayed on the entire time didn't get a thing. It's completely understandable that some people would feel slighted about that, especially considering the conditions under which this all took place.

Imagine a scenario, where the US government decided to dump trillions of dollars on the streets of the country. But they don't tell you when, how or where, and the only information distributed is by landline.

Pretty constructive so far though. I'd love to hear from a couple of people who really lucked out, and a couple more who didn't. Perspective is essential here. It's also worth pointing out that nobody should feel bad about winning something that night.
    Last edited by Rupert; 08-20-2018, 03:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sirrius
    replied
    Originally posted by Dogg View Post

Perhaps. What leans it towards a sense of entitlement as you put it was this though:

"Heads up: About 5 minutes until an OOC parchment party will rain down it's happy goodness on Iridine.

We may not have hit the golden 100 number yet (I know that we will!), but we've come close a number of times - and sometimes, you gotta reward effort. <3"

I got absolutely nothing from this event. I've logged on for every attempt at the magic number. I've played consistently aside from those efforts as well. Was my effort somehow not worth rewarding? Or even still, was others somehow more valuable, hence their outcomes?
    That's a hell of a rabbit hole to start going down, concluding that the results of this random event signifies your value either to the gameworld or the staff. If you found a 50 rp parchment, would you still have felt you were less valuable than the people that found 400? A VC?. Sometimes there's good luck, sometimes there's shit luck. I've gone through enough of these events to know sometimes you win, and sometimes you don't. We never hit 100. We were never promised this, but how we react very well might affect the promises we DO get in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Catuluscaesar
    replied
    I had no idea this was part of an event, and I read the forums regularly. I don't do Facebook because it's far more hassle than it's worth (total waste of time, imo).

Leave a comment:

• Dogg
    replied
    Originally posted by Elowynn View Post
    My experience has been that OOC parchment episodes have always been spontaneous - and in line with spontaneity, I consider them a "bonus" "surprise" experience. How exactly one increases one's odds of benefiting comes from experience, not GM heads up. For this particular one, that there were FB-spurred rumors swirling around the day leading up to it was new, and intriguing.

Believe me, I've my fair share of complaints about the staff. But seeing disgruntlement and entitlement about things that are "bonuses" (and "promos") is a little strange. I think we need to be careful about separating in our own minds what vital, baseline standards we hold staff to, and what "just for fun" stuff we end up making not so fun with how we receive it.
    Perhaps. What leans it towards a sense of entitlement as you put it was this though:

"Heads up: About 5 minutes until an OOC parchment party will rain down it's happy goodness on Iridine.

We may not have hit the golden 100 number yet (I know that we will!), but we've come close a number of times - and sometimes, you gotta reward effort. <3"

I got absolutely nothing from this event. I've logged on for every attempt at the magic number. I've played consistently aside from those efforts as well. Was my effort somehow not worth rewarding? Or even still, was others somehow more valuable, hence their outcomes?

Leave a comment:

• Kjel
    replied
    I've always liked the events, assuming I know when to login. I also noted in another thread that it got to be very late and not knowing how long it would run or when it would start had me logging out for sleep.

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    Bummed I missed it, they are always fun.

Leave a comment:

• Magey
    replied
    I can't complain. This is the first time I've been involved in this kind of event. I honestly wasn't sure what I was suppose to do, in order to get the parchments. I had to ask another player. I was told a combination of things. I was told you get them by fighting NPC's, and also by looking on, in, under things. I searched almost every nook and cranny of Monlon and I found a parchment with a reward of 250 RPS ON a chair. The rest of the parchments I found were in the sacks of NPC's 10 RPS each, and a final 10 RPS were gained just by walking into a square. I believe I had 5 in total.

Like everyone else I do feel a forum post would have been a good idea, even if it was something vague like what was posted on Facebook. This was such a neat little event, and I'm sure more people would have logged in if they knew about it.

Leave a comment:

• Elowynn
    replied
    My experience has been that OOC parchment episodes have always been spontaneous - and in line with spontaneity, I consider them a "bonus" "surprise" experience. How exactly one increases one's odds of benefiting comes from experience, not GM heads up. For this particular one, that there were FB-spurred rumors swirling around the day leading up to it was new, and intriguing.

Believe me, I've my fair share of complaints about the staff. But seeing disgruntlement and entitlement about things that are "bonuses" (and "promos") is a little strange. I think we need to be careful about separating in our own minds what vital, baseline standards we hold staff to, and what "just for fun" stuff we end up making not so fun with how we receive it.

Leave a comment:

• Vakrend
    replied
    I think more than anything I'm just frustrated that the only avenues used to convey this to the playerbase were facebook and twitter. It would have been nice to be able to participate. Congratulations to those who got lucky.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonus
    replied
    Had no idea this was happening. Only knowledge of it was whatever I'm reading in forums about it. Kudos to those who profited. More notice would be nice, but I guess the GMs wanted this to be spontaneous for whoever happened to be online?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X