Patrician Class!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrician Class!

"We are pleased to announce that we will be opening up a new patrician class starting next month for..."

Naw, just kidding. I don't have any authority, but I got you, didn't I?

Seriously, though, any chance of a patrician class any time soon? I used to have one almost two decades ago, and would love to do it again. There have to be some abandoned domii already around, and playing a patrician is a very different perspective on the game.
    Last edited by Catuluscaesar; 09-05-2018, 12:04 PM.
    Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

I'm going to jump the gun here and say, no. I say this because they said once that they want to phase them out, so no more patricians, and no more patrician class. Heck they even removed trials, so that's one more job that patricians can't do.

Comment

I think they're trying to remove talents from the gameworld, not bring in thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
        I'm going to jump the gun here and say, no. I say this because they said once that they want to phase them out, so no more patricians, and no more patrician class. Heck they even removed trials, so that's one more job that patricians can't do.
        Unfortunately, if they've said that, then yeah, I doubt there will be more patrician classes. It's disappointing, though. My goal for accruing RPs was to eventually get another Pattie. I went premium this month to maximize the value from the double-rp month. No point to doing that again without a clear use of the RPs, though.
        Last edited by Catuluscaesar; 09-05-2018, 04:11 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity

Comment

There is little now for the patrician class to do sadly other than master of games or governors
          "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

At one point, there was a great deal of good that Patricians did IG. They had the ability to support organizations, individuals to advance socially, and sponsor events with rewards and gifts. The GMs never dedicated themselves to having one of their own support and discipline the patrician class to what it could really do for the game. There were some really good players who did outstanding jobs as Patricians.
            Back to Expat Living...but not to a war zone area

_//*ll^ll*\\_

Sceadu responds from afar, "I'm going to test something on you if you don't mind. "
            Sceadu responds from afar, "What just happened? Anything?"

Comment

There was a ton of good and bad, and yes not enough gms to go around. We face the same as a group where itís whatever gm is free and has the time. We used to have Bact full time but Iím happy that we have active gms right now
              "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Hello there! Your favorite voice of the patriciate here! I wasn't part of the first patrician class, but since I started playing him he became my main, for 8 years. I took a 6 year break from the game, and now that I'm back, I can say pretty confidently that I'm pretty sure I'm the most active patrician. I'm also fairly certain I've had more conversations with the GMs about patricians than any other player lately. So without revealing anything I shouldn't, there are two things I can say for certain:

1) There are currently no plans for another patrician class.
                2) The GMs are doing the best they can to support the current active patricians.

At first I was upset. Just, no more patrician classes? What the hell, there was lots of great stuff about patricians! But then I remember why we have something like 20 individual players with patricians, and maybe 4 of them are still active?

And that's the pill that's hard to swallow: patricians are a failed experiment.

That one took me a long time to fully digest. My patrician has been my main pretty much since I had the opportunity to participate in the patrician classes 14 years ago, so to tell me that my special character I paid 3k RPs for is part of a failed experiment... well, that didn't feel great and understandably so.

But I'm not 18 anymore, which is how old I was when I made Mortarian Santum. Let me tell you, 14 years changes my perspective on how I see The Eternal City, so I feel like I'm having a grand old time doing vastly different things. Which is why I sat with that feeling of him being a failed experiment, but then I started realizing the power that patricians can have.

So I started @requesting. A lot. I have probably sent in like, 30 @requests about various things since I've come back to playing TEC in July. Siddhe and Cyradis are probably sick to death of seeing my name pop up in their system. But in those @requests, I also came to understand a lot more about the patrician system. And really, between the constant responses to my @requests and the one or two times I had to ring the bell, the level of GM support I have received as a patrician player has been fantastic. Sure, sometimes things take time but I have never felt like the GMs were dodging me because they didn't want to deal with me. I know that patricians aren't a priority because they can't just continue as they are, there's a lot wrong with them that needs to be analyzed, understood and fixed before another class can be planned.

The thing is, I agree with the GMs. I don't think another patrician class should be planned right now. I disagree with never doing another class again, we definitely should do another one, but also definitely not until a few things change. This requires a more in-depth discussion and analysis of the various successes and failures of the patrician program, keeping in mind the primary objective of the patrician characters at the time.

Normally this is where I would say "Sorry for the long post" but I'm going through a mental health self-care kind of thing so instead I will say only "Thank you for reading this post." I really love playing my patrician, and I hope you love playing with him. If you don't have a story going with him yet, don't be afraid to come over and say hey.

Thanks for reading.

Dark997895

P.S. I know that there are a few other patrician players in the wings, hearing from their friends who still play that Mortarian Santum misses them and wishes they would come back sometime soon, that there's a lot of cool things happening right now, and if they wanted to come back just to observe and not get involved, that would be fine too.
                Melina sweetly quips to you, "Death is just way too much sleep."

Comment

I appreciate the perspective. I would also appreciate an "I deleted my patrician when I was a stupid 23 yr old and regret it as a 38 yr old" exception and be able to have Adipus back...

But, precedents, man...

Comment

Originally posted by Catuluscaesar View Post
                    I appreciate the perspective. I would also appreciate an "I deleted my patrician when I was a stupid 23 yr old and regret it as a 38 yr old" exception and be able to have Adipus back...

But, precedents, man...
                    Does he not show up on the retrieve character list? If it was a straight delete, he may be recoverable. And if he's not on the list of recoverable characters you can try an @request to see if he can be added.
                    The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation- Only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration.

Oh doom and gloom, oh doom and gloom, the GMs are fools and do not realize what a position they have put us in. They could not possibly have thought of all of this already, for they are but tiny brained fools.
                    Keep on keepin' on, can ya dig it?

Comment

recoverable deleted characters only go so far back. 15 years ago, might be too long ago.

Comment

True enough, I think it goes back 5 years? Or characters deleted after a certain date. Either way, he's probably tried, but just a thought.
                        The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation- Only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration.

Oh doom and gloom, oh doom and gloom, the GMs are fools and do not realize what a position they have put us in. They could not possibly have thought of all of this already, for they are but tiny brained fools.

Comment

Naw, I tried, to no avail. So it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by Stonespyder View Post
                            True enough, I think it goes back 5 years? Or characters deleted after a certain date. Either way, he's probably tried, but just a thought.
                            Sometimes you have to swipe and start over. There are reasons why people delete characters. Sometimes you can't talk about it because it compromises other players. Also, addictions are bad things. When an internet text game begins to affect your moods and reactions in RL, you need to step away. Sometimes, that needs a complete break to happen.
                            Back to Expat Living...but not to a war zone area

_//*ll^ll*\\_

Sceadu responds from afar, "I'm going to test something on you if you don't mind. "
                            Sceadu responds from afar, "What just happened? Anything?"

Comment

Originally posted by Tjames View Post

Sometimes you have to swipe and start over. There are reasons why people delete characters. Sometimes you can't talk about it because it compromises other players. Also, addictions are bad things. When an internet text game begins to affect your moods and reactions in RL, you need to step away. Sometimes, that needs a complete break to happen.
                              Wasn't really commenting on or discussing the motivations behind deleting or the ins and outs of gaming addictions, but OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X