Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

@chopping-block

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • @chopping-block

    Do you feel that the @chopping-block system is being utilized properly to promote Role-Playing? Please read below before voting.

    http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...75#post1452875

    The new command will be @chopping-block, which will give the player the ability to add a character of theirs to a list of characters they are willing to have die by GM intervention. Adding a character to this list will not guarantee a character will be targeted to be killed off by a GM and be awarded a VC package, but it will allow us to see if characters that are involved in any events we hold are on this list, and if appropriate, are willing to have that character killed during the course of the event. If this happens, the player of that character WILL be awarded a VC package for the death of that character.

    @chop
    This command allows you to add your character to the Chopping Block. The Chopping Block is a list of characters volunteered to be gratuitously killed at GM-run events or by GMNPC's interacting with the gameworld. Characters killed in this manner WILL be eligible to receive a free Veteran Character package.


    Disclaimer: I have not been @chopped. This is just regarding a trend that I have recently noticed and I find it to be of concern.

    The first quote is from Sceadu with the original release of @chopping-block and the second one is the first paragraph when you type in @chop in the game. Both of these mention your character volunteering to be killed at GM-run events or by GMNPCs interacting with the gameworld. With that being said, there have been several characters who have been killed in the past few months and I have heard several complaints from these said players: the lack of role-play involved in their character's death. I'm not going cite examples as they are situations that have happened IG and may not all publicly be known. Some of them straight up received a singular emote and bam. Their character was dead. Some of them were characters that have had storylines going on for 10+ years and to have their stories end on a singular emote without any actual role-play with their assailant or the GM carrying out the death is simply appalling. These characters were -not- killed during GM-run events or by GMNPCs interacting with the gameworld.

    While the veteran character package received upon death is a good gesture, I and many others, feel that there should be more role-play involved for a character's death. It should not be a simple toggle of a switch. Please treat our characters with respect as we have invested a lot of time in them and their stories. No one wants to end it on a bitter note due to a less than stellar death with no role-play involved.



    Please keep this topic civil and share your opinions.
    18
    Yes
    72.22%
    13
    No
    27.78%
    5

  • #2
    I am not a fan of chopped for myself , some people it is. I see itís purpose itís just not for me at the current time.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't know how much clearer it can be. When you go on the block, you volunteer to be killed gratuitously. If people have problems with this, don't go on the block.

      Is it just me, or are a lot of people complaining about what happens to their characters as if their character's story is theirs alone to write? This isn't a novel, it's an online rpg. Sometimes, things don't go the way you plan.
      Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

      Comment


      • #4
        Let's be real. The GMS are pretty tuned in with the game and the importance of most characters. If you are put on the @chop, that means you are literally up for death of your character. Most Gms will think of something as it happens that would be somewhat meaningful. If you are a toon that is only chasing the chop for that sweet sweet VC, don't be upset if you get merc'd by something simple, like a bull or gator.

        I doubt the GMs want to craft an individual 'event' that results in the killing of your character. If you want something meaningful, set yourself up for it by rushing to help a certain Patrician from being kidnapped, or rush in to help children under stress from the Red hand.

        99.99% of the time, GMS just do not perma kill player characters in some lame way out of the blue.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Catuluscaesar View Post
          I don't know how much clearer it can be. When you go on the block, you volunteer to be killed gratuitously. If people have problems with this, don't go on the block.

          Is it just me, or are a lot of people complaining about what happens to their characters as if their character's story is theirs alone to write? This isn't a novel, it's an online rpg. Sometimes, things don't go the way you plan.
          The Chopping Block is a list of characters volunteered to be gratuitously killed at GM-run events or by GMNPC's interacting with the gameworld.
          To me, the message is pretty clear. GM-run events or GMNPCs interacting with the gameworld. As an example: tripping on a rock and breaking your neck is neither of those. It could be as simple as you getting an emote saying "Your character forgets to breathe." and bam you're dead. I'm not arguing that someone on the @chopping-block shouldn't be killed, but that the way in which they die should follow the guidelines established in the actual command and original post.

          If they wish, they could simply add a brand new line that says "You may die at any given point, for any given reasons, at the discretion of our staff members without any interactions or role-play." That still wouldn't make it right in my opinion and that is the point I wished to bring forward in this conversation, not the validity of someone dying while on the @chopping-block. You're on the block, you're alright with dying.

          I don't really care how people die and under what circumstances. That is up to the GM's discretion. The command says there should be interaction of some kind which wasn't there in some of the actual @chops. In a free-form role-playing game I expect more than that especially with the way things are phrased.

          Comment


          • #6
            Are characters being killed randomly, and with no connections to events? Tripping to death and the like?
            Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

            Comment


            • #7
              everyone I know of, died in an appropriate manner. Some people were attempted to be killed off, but due to the intervention of other players, they didn't just knife in the dark, @kill command them.
              Some people died quietly, like they lived.
              People who go on @chop, are tired of their character and want to play something else, but they don't want to just delete and disappear now that the VC system is around. So.... doesn't matter how they go, they wanted to go.
              Took me over ten years to get a character murdered, and boy was I trying to piss people off just enough to do it, yet nobody did, took a @chop, and then more years, then a gm event.

              Comment


              • #8
                If a system was put in place to allow players to perma-delete a character and receive an equivalent VC to the current system I am positive people would use it. It doesn't seem like there would be much of a problem with this. We've seen countless numbers of very high level VCs enter the gameworld over the last year and the sky has yet to fall. If anything the influx has been good.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lantraste View Post
                  If a system was put in place to allow players to perma-delete a character and receive an equivalent VC to the current system I am positive people would use it. It doesn't seem like there would be much of a problem with this. We've seen countless numbers of very high level VCs enter the gameworld over the last year and the sky has yet to fall. If anything the influx has been good.
                  Agreed. The challenge would be ensuring people aren't abusing to funnel coin to their mains.
                  Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TEC_Ghuan View Post
                    Some of them were characters that have had storylines going on for 10+ years and to have their stories end on a singular emote without any actual role-play with their assailant or the GM carrying out the death is simply appalling. These characters were -not- killed during GM-run events or by GMNPCs interacting with the gameworld.
                    As the player of one such 10+ year old character (Garrethian) recently killed by a "simple emote". Due to personal OOC reasons, all joy had been taken from me in playing that character, and so I placed him on @chop in the hopes of any end to his story. He died as he lived - the quiet, and crotchety way (heart attack caused by apparent old age and never getting any exercise) and I was relieved and thankful. The Level 10 VC is a nice thought, though I'm not sure yet if I'll ever come back and use it. (Maybe I'll be back for Herbalism? )

                    It isn't always about having a personal storyline event to send off your character. Sometimes your character has to die for new storylines to happen for others. I hear the funeral was beautiful (I was sent a log, and I was genuinely moved that staff brought out Uncle Daemian to attend), and the effects of that character's death has caused conversations, re-connections, stories told, and memories shared. So no, I might not have been present for the 'storyline purposes' the character died for....but that doesn't mean they didn't happen after the fact.

                    We are not always the centerpiece bonfire. Sometimes we are simply the spark that ignites it.


                    ~M


                    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by alteredbeast View Post

                      As the player of one such 10+ year old character (Garrethian) recently killed by a "simple emote". Due to personal OOC reasons, all joy had been taken from me in playing that character, and so I placed him on @chop in the hopes of any end to his story. He died as he lived - the quiet, and crotchety way (heart attack caused by apparent old age and never getting any exercise) and I was relieved and thankful. The Level 10 VC is a nice thought, though I'm not sure yet if I'll ever come back and use it. (Maybe I'll be back for Herbalism? )

                      It isn't always about having a personal storyline event to send off your character. Sometimes your character has to die for new storylines to happen for others. I hear the funeral was beautiful (I was sent a log, and I was genuinely moved that staff brought out Uncle Daemian to attend), and the effects of that character's death has caused conversations, re-connections, stories told, and memories shared. So no, I might not have been present for the 'storyline purposes' the character died for....but that doesn't mean they didn't happen after the fact.

                      We are not always the centerpiece bonfire. Sometimes we are simply the spark that ignites it.


                      ~M
                      It seems like you no longer wished to play that particular character, and as you put it, "all joy had been taken from me in playing that character". That is not the case for everyone who puts their characters out on the chopping block. Some just wish to have a fresh start. From the sounds of it, you only played him these days to get that VC10 and to me that feels like you had just abandoned your character. You might not even play anymore as you just said. It just sounds like you wanted an excuse to no longer play the game for whatever personal reason motivated you.

                      I'm not asking for personal storylines. If someone wants that, they can request custom events by means of RP expenditure. The funeral was a nice touch, but that's what happens after your character dies. The main point of this thread was to have the ability to role-play on your way out and not just have an inappropriate ending where all control is removed from the player's hands. Wouldn't you have liked to role-play for a little bit, even if just for a few minutes, before the character died? Maybe not in your case since you had no joy playing him anymore, but for others, I know they would have liked it.

                      All deaths will generate RP whether it is by @chopping-block or via other means (not waking up from a coma, PK' etc.). The guidelines are clear and there were no "GM-run events or GMNPCs interacting with the gameworld" when your character suffered is death. You received a death emote and that was it. The actual death could have been much more memorable for your character and those who surrounded you if you actually had been able to role-play a part of the struggle before actually dying. There is such a thing as building up tension and creating a more dramatic experience for all of those involved and that is where I feel those emote deaths fail horribly. It is not a proper ending. I am not asking for a three-hour story where it ends with your character's death. Just the ability to have a few more moments with those surrounding you before moving on and that is where, in my opinion, the latest deaths have failed at promoting role-play.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TEC_Ghuan View Post
                        You received a death emote and that was it. The actual death could have been much more memorable for your character and those who surrounded you if you actually had been able to role-play a part of the struggle before actually dying. There is such a thing as building up tension and creating a more dramatic experience for all of those involved and that is where I feel those emote deaths fail horribly. It is not a proper ending. I am not asking for a three-hour story where it ends with your character's death. Just the ability to have a few more moments with those surrounding you before moving on and that is where, in my opinion, the latest deaths have failed at promoting role-play.
                        This. Death is a powerful moment. And the one second there, next second dead, is a little... underwhelming, and overwhelming at the same time. Particularly when the person watching it happen, is given no indication to what is going on before it is just, done. It's not just about the character that is dying, but those that are there to witness it.
                        Amatoria crams a fist full of biscuits in her mouth.
                        You pick out a biscuit from some biscuits.
                        You consume the last of a biscuit.
                        Dragaxus says to you, "You know you're quite sexy when you do that."
                        Amatoria spits crumbs all over, "You're just saying that."

                        Typically, 9 times out of 10 in TEC you are bored you just dont realize it because your brain functions at a higher rate and it keeps you from thinking about the possibility that you are simply sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I would love to be chopped. But my guy is immortal. #blessed

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Playing a 20 year old character who's been on chop since day 1, I think that GM's favor certain characters over others. If you play solo TEC, you're gonna live forever, chop or not.

                            This I don't like. Just because I play solo TEC doesn't mean my character shouldn't be targeted.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by HotMoltenLava View Post

                              This. Death is a powerful moment. And the one second there, next second dead, is a little... underwhelming, and overwhelming at the same time. Particularly when the person watching it happen, is given no indication to what is going on before it is just, done. It's not just about the character that is dying, but those that are there to witness it.
                              Life is like that, though - REAL life. We don't get warnings; things just happen.

                              I feel like, if you're going to put your character on the chopping block, you have to accept whatever the GM chooses. I've played Skotos games for YEARS before discovering TEC, and you NEVER. EVER. DIE. It's ridiculous. It causes all sorts of RP abuses, and winds up being rather frustrating because there are NO consequences.

                              @chop is meant to give consequences. You're allowed, in TEC, NOT to put your character on the chopping block. You're also allowed to put them on the chopping block. Your choice.

                              In life, we don't get to choose what happens to us, regarding a lot of things. God, but I have had that handed to me more times than I wish, in my lifetime, particularly of late, and wow, would I love love love it if I could go back, make changes, adapt the endings (I have even taken to writing little stories with alternate endings of my REAL life, so I totally get the inclination; it's a bit cathartic, but not at all realistic). But the fact is that some things, we do not have control over because we handed control to someone else, in whatever ways and for whatever reasons.

                              Such is life.

                              We cope with it, or we complain about it; and doing so, in either case, may or may not effect ANY change on future events.

                              In my perspective, it's best and most sane to take responsibility for our actions, for our choices, and to choose our battles. Death is one not many of us gets to choose, IRL. I'm all for realistic RP; so I say: If a single, sudden emote offs a character... well? Heart attacks happen, and in Roman times, there was NOTHING you could do about it. Buh-bye, you're dead.

                              Honestly, I'd rather see more realistic repercussions to war... like scars suddenly appearing from all of the slashings. Suddenly, most of the population wouldn't be very pretty anymore. That makes sense, with all of the war. You lose a hand, a nose, an ear, a finger, a foot, a leg. Such things were realistic repercussions of war, and should be introduced, without choice - except to go to war or not.

                              I didn't get a choice in A's maiming. Not even a single choice. I'm coping.

                              Can someone please rationalize why I'm reading so many people complaining about their own choice - which they CAN revoke?

                              Thx.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X