Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Character Generator Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character Generator Update

Here is the link to the original post: http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...02#post1771202

First of all, major kudos on updating the character generator. Some aspects of it definitely needed to be tweaked. I have a few questions however regarding these changes:

1) Will the list of nationality stats boosts be posted somewhere as the old list was made public?
    2) Will the list of adjectives and their actual effects be posted somewhere?
    3) Will the character generator and the veteran character generator now use the same system?
    4) There is (was?) a stat cap limit of 145 implemented in the regular character generator (not the veteran character generator) before this recent batch of changes. Has this cap been removed or tweaked? Several of us have tested thoroughly and it is simply impossible to get past 145 in the regular chargen without taking the traits into account. Said cap does not exist in the vet chargen.
    5) Are there any plans to add any new traits in the future?

I am only asking because I always thought that the character generator should be more open and allow us more freedom in choosing the stats we want so we have less worry about re-rolling when attempting to create a certain type of character.

Thanks again for the update. Especially the Automatic National Traits. They annoyed the hell out of me.

Originally posted by TEC_Ghuan View Post
    Here is the link to the original post: http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...02#post1771202

First of all, major kudos on updating the character generator. Some aspects of it definitely needed to be tweaked. I have a few questions however regarding these changes:

1) Will the list of nationality stats boosts be posted somewhere as the old list was made public?
    2) Will the list of adjectives and their actual effects be posted somewhere?
    3) Will the character generator and the veteran character generator now use the same system?
    4) There is (was?) a stat cap limit of 145 implemented in the regular character generator (not the veteran character generator) before this recent batch of changes. Has this cap been removed or tweaked? Several of us have tested thoroughly and it is simply impossible to get past 145 in the regular chargen without taking the traits into account. Said cap does not exist in the vet chargen.
    5) Are there any plans to add any new traits in the future?

I am only asking because I always thought that the character generator should be more open and allow us more freedom in choosing the stats we want so we have less worry about re-rolling when attempting to create a certain type of character.

Thanks again for the update. Especially the Automatic National Traits. They annoyed the hell out of me.

1) No, though I will go ahead and post the 'general lore' for each race I used when re-balancing things below. It isn't exact numbers, but gives a sense of things at least as a starting point.
    2) No. The only reason it was before was because the information was shared/taken illegally. That was never supposed to be public knowledge. For this reason they were all changed in some way during the re-balancing.
    3) I am not in a position to comment. That involves higher code than I usually work with, and was not part of anything I worked on for this update.
    4) See answer 3.
    5) Traits in general are not being reviewed at this time, no.

National Choice List Outline:
    • Parcine people are generally seen as very hardy, but also very blunt and often do not thrive in social practices.
    • Iridinians from Iridine are thought to be fairly adept at social niceties, but lack the drive or hardiness of country folk.
    • Iridinians from the country are seen as fairly hardy, and hardworking, but lack the social graces of the city folk.
    • Aestivans are thought to have strong spear arms and even stronger convictions, but are rigid in other ways.
    • Cinerans tend to be lean and quick to act, but tend to drive themselves too hard and can become too focused.
    • Remathens often tend to be wonderful scholars and artisans, but lack the physicality for most physical professions.
    • Tucheans are often mistreated, but keep their hearts open, and thrive at sea where efficiency and hard work are key, but lack of proper nutrition often leaves them lacking in some ways.
    • Windwardians have the strength and conviction of warriors, but sometimes don't see reason as easily as some due to some bad luck in history.
    • Safelanders are a peaceful people who thrive as craftsman, gatherers, and socialites, but lack any sort of warrior spirit in mind or body.
    • Gadaenes tend towards rapid change, in their wardrobes, their thought processes, and the way they move through the world. For good or ill.
    • Sostaerans are a subdued, stoic people. They are a very balanced and grounded people, but not particularly imaginative.
    • Altenes are the most well-known 'warrior' race, and show it in many ways. Though their militaristic mindset tends to leave everything else by the wayside.
    Game Master Tale
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, Tale!

This type of communication is truly appreciated. Much love.

Comment

I posted this on Discord but I wanted to share it here as well.

"I want to say that I am extremely happy with the communication from Tale about his Char-gen project and I appreciate him answering a few questions both here in the Discord and in the forums. I hope as changes happen to TEC that we can continue this open dialog where the staff share things going on and we can discuss as a community our thoughts and perspectives without them being seen as negative - but as a healthy two way discussion because both the staff and the community care about positive interactions between each other"
        TEC Discord Link!

VOTE FOR TEC!

Originally posted by Dyro
        "Good RP is consistency."

Originally posted by Cloudy
        "Shiloboy wins.
        Fatality.
        Keep up the good work."

Comment

Nice to see char gen updated. Kudos Tale! My quick reaction is that everyone is going to roll Sosteran and Cineran combat chars now. Sostera seems especially OP

edit: I reread your post and now see it only impacts the *automatic* and not selectable national traits. Looks like Altene and Cinera will still be top combat choices.
          Last edited by jkidd; 02-04-2019, 02:20 PM. Reason: i dumb

Comment

Originally posted by jkidd View Post
            Nice to see char gen updated. Kudos Tale! My quick reaction is that everyone is going to roll Sosteran and Cineran combat chars now. Sostera seems especially OP

edit: I reread your post and now see it only impacts the *automatic* and not selectable national traits. Looks like Altene and Cinera will still be top combat choices.
            Maybe? I think the biggest success of the vet character program is the sheer amount of people that have used their vet characters to pursue unorthodox nations and weapon styles. I think that I had a bit of an assumption that basically everyone was going to take their vet character, make an Altene staver and try to make them as powerful as possible. This really hasn't been the case however--I think this is going to open up even more reason to pursue other nations and explore other avenues.

Comment

Originally posted by Vakrend View Post

Maybe? I think the biggest success of the vet character program is the sheer amount of people that have used their vet characters to pursue unorthodox nations and weapon styles. I think that I had a bit of an assumption that basically everyone was going to take their vet character, make an Altene staver and try to make them as powerful as possible. This really hasn't been the case however--I think this is going to open up even more reason to pursue other nations and explore other avenues.
              I just rolled a Windwardian about a month too late. #sad

Cinerans are the master combat race. Blade mastery, steady hands, nimble feet, then iron will/ad rush/athletic = OP

Comment

Yep, Syden is right. Other examples would include iron will getting you to 220 willpower once maxed...Worldly knowledge gets 220 perception.

Comment

Tale, here is post by Sceadu:
                  News from the Eternal City gamemasters.

Comment

The fact that a Cineran character can get an extra trait now with blade mastery is pretty big.

We chose our traits because stats traits meant nothing, now I can get blade mastery AND finesse AND steady hands AND athletic AND nimble feet

so many combinations. My gripe is I canít overcome my deficit in traits with ranks and that new characters will now be better than me.

it is what it is. I need to get my ranks to 5000 to overcome the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Syden View Post
                      The fact that a Cineran character can get an extra trait now with blade mastery is pretty big.

We chose our traits because stats traits meant nothing, now I can get blade mastery AND finesse AND steady hands AND athletic AND nimble feet

so many combinations. My gripe is I canít overcome my deficit in traits with ranks and that new characters will now be better than me.

it is what it is. I need to get my ranks to 5000 to overcome the difference.
                      I agree, this also happened when they adjusted stat traits to increase the max threshold for a char, all of a sudden you had the ability to go beyond Outstanding...however for chars rolled over ten years ago well before this was fixed are now stuck and at a disadvantage, even having the max potential in a trait reduced.

Stats out do ranks by such a large margin.
                      Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

I feel itís a great change stinks Iíll need another 5k ranks to make up for it but I look at it like this how long till the new ranks catch me Iím ok
                        "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Originally posted by Vakrend

I think this is a bit more caustic than necessary. As far as I can see, these new changes were welcome and appreciated.
                          everything except the increase in imbalance created by traits change.

Comment

So let me get this straight. I've been gone for awhile..

Positive Traits
                            --------------------
                            Blade Mastery
                            - Available to Cineran characters only. Character causes a higher rate of
                            critical hits with bladed weapons.

Nimble Feet
                            - Bonus to Speed and Agility. Value: 3

Steady Hands
                            - Significant bonus to dexterity. Mutually exclusive with 'Shaky Hands'.
                            Value: 3

This is Koppe..

Koppe2.0 rolls in todays world, and you can add in athletic -or- mountain lungs -or- adrenaline rush?

If so, then I feel like this change was meant to persuade those older characters on the fence of @chop.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweninger
                              Maybe it's just me, but I almost feel as if there needs to be a vote or the option to decline something that could potentially deteriorate the capabilities of our characters that we've worked hard on for a decade (and spent hundreds of dollars on).

I feel like this change would have gotten the thumbs up from the playerbase as a whole, but those who aren't on chop and have spent literally thousands of hours and hundreds of dollars on ranking up old characters would probably have given it a thumbs down.

I know I'm probably a minority here.
                              It's just you. It's called a rebalance. It happens all the time in games. Its good for the gameworld.

You adapt and move on.
                              Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X